Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's Aussie mini series.

Options
  • 07-04-2013 9:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

I remember there being quite a lot of Australian mini series shown on RTE in the late 80's early 90's.The most high profile one was The Dirtwater dynasty.There was also The Cowra Breakout which was about an uprising by Japanese POWs and Dada is death which was about an Aussie guy caught trying to smuggle drugs out of Indonesia and being sentenced to death.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Another one was "Nam" it was about an aussie family caught up in the Vietnam conflict.

Then there was "ANZAC'S" starring a young Paul Hogan set during WW1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

The sullivans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I loved the particularly trashy 'Return To Eden'. Perfect Saturday night fare...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I loved the particularly trashy 'Return To Eden'. Perfect Saturday night fare...

Loved that series!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Dtp79 wrote: »
    The sullivans
    That wasn't a mini series.Another one I remember was about Italian immigrants being interred during the second world war,can't remember the name of it. There was a scene where an immigration offical was raiding the workplace of the Italian illegals which was a corn field and he ends up getting burned to death in his car.There was another one as well the title I can't remember set in the 30's during The Depression and the conflict between striking workers and "scabs".There was an Irish character in it who blows the family money on a greyhound and when his wife gives out to him because they've no money for food he cooks the dog for dinner.
    Edit:The one about Italian immigrants was Fields Of Flame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Aw I LOVED that show!! The main protagonist was a woman called Stephanie Harper or as some local wag called her "Stiff Knee Haapaar"

There was also The Lancaster Miller affair which was about a murder case in the 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the flying doctors was alright

another one some might remember was fields of fire about an englishman emigrating to oz to work in the sugar fields of queensland

Bangkok Hilton was another one. Daddah is death was a brilliant mini series, watched it again lately on youtube, scary tale of drug trafficking. There was also another lovely austrailian series called Golden Fiddles, does anyone remember that? and of course there was the Thorn Birds

Brides Of Christ was another one I remember.It seemed to tie in very well with what went on in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

It's not 1980s but I remember The Girl from Tomorrow on The Den.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_from_Tomorrow

And the world record show Just for the Record I think this was on UTV

You might remember the closing credits more, with presenter Gary Who
    giving it loads:

I remember when Brides of Christ came out, it was absolutely scandalous at
    the time. Would probably be considered tame by today's standards.
    Brenda Fricker played a stern nun in it as I remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brides_of_Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Flying Doctors was another mid 80s one, don't remember much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'd never heard of Brides Of Christ until I read this thread this morning.

I've just spent 6 hours watching it all :D

It was very good I thought. Not what I expected at all.

The 2008 - 2011 series, Underbelly: A tale of Two Cities is an Australian
    crime drama, like Love/Hate. Some of these series are set in 1970s
    and 1980s Australia.

I've just posted a summary up in the TV recommendations forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84478434#post84478434

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Chucken wrote: »
    I'd never heard of Brides Of Christ until I read this thread this morning.

I've just spent 6 hours watching it all :D

It was very good I thought. Not what I expected at all.

I remember it at the time. One strange thing in the show was an INXS song was used on the Juke Box yet it is meant to be 50s/60s. Some law at the time about music used on telly had to include Australian musicians. I think 25% of music on Australian radio and TV has to be Australian. I think it is a pretty good law and should happen here

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I remember it at the time. One strange thing in the show was an INXS song was used on the Juke Box yet it is meant to be 50s/60s. Some law at the time about music used on telly had to include Australian musicians. I think 25% of music on Australian radio and TV has to be Australian. I think it is a pretty good law and should happen here

What, replace Hardcore Rappers Jay-Z and Ice-Cube on Love/Hate with Jewdard or B*Witched? :)

I can just see Nidge now, prowling round in his 4 by 4, silenced Glock 9mm on his lap, looking to take
    someone out and "Hold me now" by Johnny Logan blaring on his boom-box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What, replace Hardcore Rappers Jay-Z and Ice-Cube on Love/Hate with Jewdard or B*Witched? :)

I can just see Nidge now, prowling round in his 4 by 4, silenced Glock 9mm on his lap, looking to take
    someone out and "Hold me now" by Johnny Logan blaring on his boom-box :)

You do know there are tons of bands in Ireland with a wide range of style? If you consider the fleeting nature of the pop music it wouldn't take long for it to be normal to hear Irish artists on the radio. Support local businesses and all that.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Prisoner Cell Block H.

This was on late at night on UTV. You used to see the cell block walls shaking when
    someone closed the door heavily.

What was with the lighting on the show?
    It was like there was a massive floodlight pointing down from the ceiling.

prisoner_cell_block_h_au-show.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner_(TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I remember an Australian 80s series called Bodyline, about a controversial 1930s Ashes Cricket Tour, which was very good. It starred Hugo Weaving (later to become Agent Smith in The Matrix)

Skid X wrote: »
    I remember an Australian 80s series called Bodyline, about a controversial 1930s Ashes Cricket Tour, which was very good. It starred Hugo Weaving (later to become Agent Smith in The Matrix)

He used to pop up in a lot of these series,he was also in The Dirtwater Dynasty.

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember Golden Fiddles?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

One I vividly remember was Agaisnt The Wind, about a bunch of 1798 rebels transported to Oz where they rebelled again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Name this show:

Aussie kids show, set in this underwater school / academy. two kids who know how to get out, there is this desert island with this stunning looking girl on it living alone. She wore this kind of flannel cardigan which covered up too much of her body for me.

Adventures on kythera?

Adventures on kythera?

Based on a search of google images, no.

It turns out it was called Ocean Girl, and the stunningly hot girl was Polish. Go figure.

neri_7.jpg

Anyone remember 'the henderson kids' also? I'd love to watch that again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Round the Twist, started late 80's, it was the theme tune that still sticks in my mind & that lighthouse!

I watched it, but can't remember anything about it.
    Round the Twist, started late 80's, it was the theme tune that still sticks in my mind & that lighthouse!

Dont remember the theme tune, but I remember it. It was really weird. I've always loved light houses so I definitely remember the lighthouse in it.

Thanks to Youtube, the theme is coming back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Aaaah, I've spent AGES trying to remember the name of that show! I remember it.

All those old Aussie shows bring back great memories of childhood, when Australia was SO far away (ok it still is, but you know what I mean...), and SO hot, and SO exotic with the kangaroos and the wombats and School of the Air, and the outback, and kookaburras, and Utes, and...well, you catch my drift. It seemed like such a magical place, like a fairytale land.

And having since visited the place, it still is kinda like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement