ISC 2013 Sports Grants - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-03-2013, 08:35   #1
ChickenTikka

ISC 2013 Sports Grants

Announced today:-

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Med..._For_2013.html

Seems harsh that Derval only gets €12k for a 4th place finish in the Euros. I guess its partly based on age. But then that's sort of contradicted by Brian Gregan only getting 12k also.

Anyone know is there a published written set of criteria for the grants so one has a chance of understanding the rationale?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-03-2013, 08:47   #2
ecoli
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenTikka View Post
Announced today:-

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Med..._For_2013.html

Seems harsh that Derval only gets €12k for a 4th place finish in the Euros. I guess its partly based on age. But then that's sort of contradicted by Brian Gregan only getting 12k also.

Anyone know is there a published written set of criteria for the grants so one has a chance of understanding the rationale?
http://hp.athleticsireland.ie/images...ceCriteria.pdf
22-03-2013, 09:10   #3
walshb

I would think that Derval's age and the fact that she is sliding, barely, will impact those dishing out 40k per year.
22-03-2013, 09:20   #4
ChickenTikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Thanks, looks like we got more into the higher grant categories than a strict implementation of the criteria would allow. So that's good. But maybe not so good that subjective opinion is allowed for some and not for others.

The indo http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29146922.html says "Athletes are now strictly funded on the basis of their performances in the previous year only."

But there seems to still be a degree of subjectivity for some and not for others. Not knocking the scope for that but it would be good for the athletes to know the full criteria.
22-03-2013, 09:50   #5
rom

Britton and O’Rourke grant should have been swapped. I hope she goes out and makes a statement in the world XC this weekend that she should be getting full grant like mad len.
Advertisement
22-03-2013, 09:57   #6
ecoli
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Britton and O’Rourke grant should have been swapped. I hope she goes out and makes a statement in the world XC this weekend that she should be getting full grant like mad len.

Britton and O Lionaird on the same? which is also more than Derval??
22-03-2013, 10:13   #7
tunguska

Quote:
Very harsh on deval for sure. Unbelievable that Britton isnt on the same amount that Robbie heffernan is on. And Catriona Jennings on the same grant that Mark Keneally and Linda byrne are on even though she came last in London?????
Thanks from:
22-03-2013, 10:18   #8
rom

Quote:
Ah I got me numbers messed up.

Last year http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2012/...e-athlete.html

I think it's a travesty. Where are the poor GAA players money ?
22-03-2013, 10:28   #9
RayCun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska View Post
Very harsh on deval for sure. Unbelievable that Britton isnt on the same amount that Robbie heffernan is on. And Catriona Jennings on the same grant that Mark Keneally and Linda byrne are on even though she came last in London?????
but at least the process is transparent. Jennings, Keneally, and Byrne all got the world championship A standard ( I presume that's what the 'international standard' is from?), and none of them qualified in the 'world class' standard.

Quote:
They get the separate "good lad" grant, which is about half the total given in the carding scheme, to all other athletes combined.
Advertisement
22-03-2013, 10:29   #10
ecoli
Closed Account

Quote:

Aside from the 2.5 million allocated you also have the grants for the;

GAA Handball association
and
Ladies Gaelic Football association

adding an extra 480,000.

I think they will manage
22-03-2013, 10:36   #11
ecoli
Closed Account

Quote:
While I agree we can debate these things I think a basic set of criteria after which there is a level of subjectivity at least means that does who are deserving of grants get something as opposed to someone hitting the targets and then being given feck all. Like it or not Jennings performance in the eyes of the criteria was the same as any of the other marathon runners (also rans) that is not taking away from the performances. Personally I feel Linda should be on more given her Euro XC exploits she didnt meet the criteria to warrant this I suppose

All in all I think Athletics did better than you would hope out of it though there is always gonna be a debate over who got what
22-03-2013, 11:12   #12
thirstywork2

Kenny Egan deserves his considering her has retired lol

Also Colin Griffin ain't too happy about it either.`

Thanks for all the messages of support. This matter has been going on since Dec 3rd when I got an email from AAI Performance Director which said that AAI would not endorse my application to the ISC. He then ignored all emails requesting an appeal or independent review until the Jan 4th deadline had passed. Even a request to AAI CEO to facilitate a fair hearing was ignored. I gave them every chance to resolve this in a dignified and peaceful manner through internal channels. I cannot allow the underhanded and corrupt manner in which things are done be kept quiet any more. This is not what sport is about and some people should be ashamed of themselves.

http://www.colingriffin.ie/statement...-announcement/

Last edited by thirstywork2; 22-03-2013 at 11:16.
22-03-2013, 12:58   #13
TFBubendorfer

Quote:
And Catriona Jennings on the same grant that Mark Keneally and Linda byrne are on even though she came last in London?????
Catriona Jennings should get punished for toughing it out in London despite an injury?
22-03-2013, 13:51   #14
tunguska

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post
Catriona Jennings should get punished for toughing it out in London despite an injury?
She should never have been running with an injury. She should've held her hand up and said, Im injured, give the place to someone else. Even before the olympics though, considering consistancy of results in races, shes not in the same league as those who are recieving the same level of grant. Like Linda byrne or even Ava hutchinson. I'd rather see Mary cullen get 12k, even though shes only back in action recently. She's on the team for World XC this weekend and you can bet your life she'll run a stormer. Put mary cullen up against catriona jennings and its a no contest.
Actually Maria McCambridge should have been selected ahead of Catriona jennings in the first place.
Thanks from:
22-03-2013, 14:18   #15
rom

Quote:
She should never have been running with an injury. She should've held her hand up and said, Im injured, give the place to someone else. Even before the olympics though, considering consistancy of results in races, shes not in the same league as those who are recieving the same level of grant. Like Linda byrne or even Ava hutchinson. I'd rather see Mary cullen get 12k, even though shes only back in action recently. She's on the team for World XC this weekend and you can bet your life she'll run a stormer. Put mary cullen up against catriona jennings and its a no contest.
Actually Maria McCambridge should have been selected ahead of Catriona jennings in the first place.
I believe that I made a similar point a while back and someone said she was passed fit but it was a repeat injury PF that came up rather than her starting the race injured. I would go with that seeing that she was 2 mins behind the other irish runners at 15k but it went downhill from there. 1st half in 1:23 so it was just going sub par run to the 2nd half in 2 hrs. I don't think she could run 1:23 if she was injured for the first half even.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion