Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen stabbed in Westport!

Options
  • 17-03-2013 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Bad news for a town that depend on visitors.

A 17-year-old boy is seriously injured after being stabbed several times in Co Mayo.
    Three males in their late teens were arrested in connection with the attack which happened at around 11pm on Saturday at Railway Walk in Westport.

The victim was taken to Mayo General Hospital where his condition is described as stable.

Gardai have sealed off the crime scene for examination and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

The three males are being questioned at Westport garda station.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-17-seriously-injured-after-stab-attack-in-mayo-29136012.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

And a shooting in castlebar, eventful weekend in the county - http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0315/376887-castlebar-shooting/

I'd doubt it's going to do too much damage to the tourism; the only reason it's getting any mention as there's feck all going on in dublin to report about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Won't stop anyone visiting imo. It would have been different if it was a 17 yo American tourist.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teen-undergoes-emergency-surgery-after-stabbing-attack-29136440.html
    Henry Newham who was stabbed several times in Westport
    The young Rice College student is now in a stable condition and it is hoped he will make a full recovery.

"The doctors say he is going to be okay but it was touch and go for a while. If it hadn't been for the emergency response unit who were on the scene so quickly he could have died," said one local man.

"He is a lovely young guy, from a lovely family. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He didn't know these guys. They are an outside element who only arrived in the town earlier that day," said another local.
    So the perps weren't from the area and almost kill a local lad. The locals must be up in arms over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

And a shooting in castlebar, eventful weekend in the county - http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0315/376887-castlebar-shooting/

I'd doubt it's going to do too much damage to the tourism; the only reason it's getting any mention as there's feck all going on in dublin to report about.

i wouldn't be too complacent in that regard, friends of mine were due to visit there this weekend but decided to go to Clifden instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Yeah but this kind of thing is fairly common in Dublin; doesn't stop any domestic or foreign visitors going there! This will be forgotton about in no time; and any yanks planning on passing through Westport on their Irish tour will probably never have a notion it ever occured.

Slightly OT, :o but how long have you had your 320 Biko?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sad state of affairs that, hope the lad recovers.
    Won't have any bad impact on Westport as the people weren't from the area and no matter what town you go to there is always incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

space_man wrote: »

A 17-year-old boy is seriously injured after being stabbed several times in Co Mayo.
    Three males in their late teens were arrested in connection with the attack which happened at around 11pm on Saturday at Railway Walk in Westport.

The victim was taken to Mayo General Hospital where his condition is described as stable.

Gardai have sealed off the crime scene for examination and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-17-seriously-injured-after-stab-attack-in-mayo-29136012.html

OP whats the point of this thread ?
    Why are this types of threads even allowed ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

rusheen wrote: »
    OP whats the point of this thread ?
    Why are this types of threads even allowed ?

Self explanatory thread title and content. Its a discussion forum so nothing wrong with the intention of the thread.

i visited Westport myself over the weekend, and the athmosphere was very subdued.
    this is a very sad turn of events for what is a lovely town, and i hope it doesn't negatively impact on the town.

does anybody know where the perps are from?

i visited Westport myself over the weekend, and the athmosphere was very subdued.
    this is a very sad turn of events for what is a lovely town, and i hope it doesn't negatively impact on the town.

Subdued? Couldn't agree and was in Westport on each of the days over the bank holiday. Paddy's night was hopping there.

Can't see how it will impact seen that the people weren't from the town.

Since their origin isn't in the media as of yet, then please don't comment on that request as its only idle speculation.

i was there on monday, so perhaps people were recovering from the previous day's exertions?

as a Dad i spoke to a number of other parents and like me all were horrified. many also expressed concern over the level of violence and anti-social activity in the town particularly during Bank holiday weekends.

• Advertisement

i was there on monday, so perhaps people were recovering from the previous day's exertions?

as a Dad i spoke to a number of other parents and like me all were horrified. many also expressed concern over the level of violence and anti-social activity in the town particularly during Bank holiday weekends.

I'm also a Dad and to be honest, like many more on here, that bolded sentence can be applied to many towns through out every town in Ireland and the UK.
    Then again when I was growing up there were plenty of plums around the place too.
    This has been the 2nd stabbing in Westport in about 4 years, so its not a regular occurrence. I wouldn't stress over it.

i/they were not necessarily referring to stabbings, but other anti-social/violent behaviour in the town.

the last stabbing was that of Garda Mullen, who also almost lost his life. As I recall he too under-went emergency surgery, which included the removal of his spleen.
    Westport could easily be looking at 2 murders!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7359&Itemid=38

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Spaceman

I have lived in the centre of Westport all my life and have reared four children there.

Neither they nor I ever had any problem with crime or any anti-social behaviour.

The town was lively over last weekend - many locals and visitors enjoying themselves.

Glad to hear that young lad is out of danger

nuac wrote: »
    Spaceman

I have lived in the centre of Westport all my life and have reared four children there.

Neither they nor I ever had any problem with crime or any anti-social behaviour.

The town was lively over last weekend - many locals and visitors enjoying themselves.

Glad to hear that young lad is out of danger

somebody must be manufacturing these "stories" then?

There must be.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

More or less. People (and the media) tend to blow negative things out of proportion. A town with little to no regular real crime becomes "rough" over night because something like this happens.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    More or less. People (and the media) tend to blow negative things out of proportion. A town with little to no regular real crime becomes "rough" over night because something like this happens.

well that's ok then.
    i'm glad we cleared that up.
    phew!

then again if people/press are making all this stuff up they ought to be held accountable? i'm outraged they could invent all his stuff! how dare they!!!

Aparently the local councillors are guilty also!!!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16972:council-must-strengthen-its-anti-social-behaviour-policy-staunton&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Why do they do his?

well that's ok then.
    i'm glad we cleared that up.
    phew!

then again if people/press are making all this stuff up they ought to be held accountable? i'm outraged they could invent all his stuff! how dare they!!!

Aparently the local councillors are guilty also!!!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16972:council-must-strengthen-its-anti-social-behaviour-policy-staunton&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Why do they do his?

Well its good to see your mind is at rest.

Watch out for that meteor though, could hit Westport any day soon.

i've spotted more inflammatory headlines,

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/latest-news/3552-arson-attack-on-unoccupies-council-house-in-westport-lit-firelighter-was-thrust-through-brocken-window-21500-damage-caused-to-the-building

the poor lad probably only accidentally dropped a cigarette butt. i hope he gets full front-page apology, and adequate compo for this outrageous injustice.:mad:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/latest-news/3552-arson-attack-on-unoccupies-council-house-in-westport-lit-firelighter-was-thrust-through-brocken-window-21500-damage-caused-to-the-building

the poor lad probably only accidentally dropped a cigarette butt. i hope he gets full front-page apology, and adequate compo for this outrageous injustice.:mad:

You're pretty much doing exactly what I described. Picking extremely rare occurences and using them to scare monger/act as if they happen regularly.

• Advertisement

Have a cup of coffee and take a walk, your worrying too much.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're pretty much doing exactly what I described. Picking extremely rare occurences and using them to scare monger/act as if they happen regularly.

but dont you know these things are concocted, fabricated. we've established that already, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

but dont you know these things are concocted, fabricated. we've established that already, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Exactly, they are there to sensationalize and get readers, Mickroo hit nail on head.

yop wrote: »
    Exactly, they are there to sensationalize and get readers, Mickroo hit nail on head.

Thnx guys!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Things like this never used to happen in Mayo . Anyone else seeing a pattern with all this serious crimes which have happened in the last few years in peaceful Mayo ?

There more times than not committed by people not from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

spaceman for someone whos concerned with this event having a negative effect on the town why create a thread titled 'teen stabbed in westport' in the mayo forum where its likely a first stopping point for a holidaymaker planning a visit? Great thinking! Although people in westport are shocked, they know who did it and know that its an outside influence. Westport may be influxed with stags etc at the weekend but thats pure banter they don't carry knives ffs. Every town has had a terrible incident at one stage, but i don't boycott them!

rusheen wrote: »
    Things like this never used to happen in Mayo . Anyone else seeing a pattern with all this serious crimes which have happened in the last few years in peaceful Mayo ?

There more times than not committed by people not from Mayo.

i agree.
    but as you can see from the responses here, people are desperate to sweep it under the carpet. people do not want to acknowledge it at all.

some things never change.

i agree.
    but as you can see from the responses here, people are desperate to sweep it under the carpet. people do not want to acknowledge it at all.

some things never change.

More from the point of people who live in the town and have done for nearly 40 years in my own case, Mick and plenty more are in the same situation.
    You admit yourself that you visit the town, you read the papers and take your own opinion.
    Paper doesn't refuse ink, people need to pick out the hype and the truth.

Its not going to stop 1000's visit the town in the next 12 months.

If that was the case then no one would visit Limerick, Dublin, Cork, Galway etc etc etc, where there has been murders in the last few months, this wasn't a murder.

Your scaremongering yourself more than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I am not from Westport but am from Mayo and enjoy going to Westport. I have never seen any trouble bar the odd scuffle outside a takeaway which every town in Ireland has on a Sat night.

On the issue of this stabbing, the state has failed before and after this lad was attacked.

1. One of the accused escaped from HSE care - failure
    2. All the accused have been let out on bail

If you carry a knife and attack someone with it, it is attempted murder in my book and you should be locked away for a long time. I don't care if you are under 18. When are people going to get tough on law in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

i wouldn't be too complacent in that regard, friends of mine were due to visit there this weekend but decided to go to Clifden instead.

You changed your tune from last month space_man.

as someone who visits the West on a regular basis, i see no more or less crime than before. there's a lot of exaggeration and hypebole about the whole issue, much of it for party political reasons. also the Gardaí and the media are scaremongering for their own selfish reasons.
    people need to get a grip, calm down and of course take all sensible security precautions.
    Ireland and particularly the West is largely crime-free. in fact the worst crime i ever witnessed in all my time in Mayo was an itinerant "lady" being assaulted by one of her kindred spirits after a local publican foolishly allowed them a session in one of the local pubs.
    mikom wrote: »
    Try living there, then get back to me.
    my relatives live there, and like me they agree with my view on these matters.
    unfortunately many people down the west are prone to lose the run of themselves, and this is just another example of that.
    do yourself a faour and don't swallow all the fear mongering nonsense you see in the tabloid media.

How's the "fear mongering nonsense" going for ya?
    all i see/hear/read are tales about granny's turf being stolen and the likes.

Indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement