Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Work Chat

Options
  • 14-03-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is to replace the chatting/advice element of the old Need A Job thread.

In here folk can discuss jobs, offer advise on things like interviews, cvs etc, give moral support, get things off your chest about having a job or not having a job.

Lots of you really made the Need A Job thread a great thread thanks to the decency shown by you, and I hope it continues here.

The one thing that won't go in here will be mentions/links to vacant job positions. From now on all links to advertised jobs will go to the below thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056902610

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EireBee

Hi guys,
    Im recently in same shoes and I need to find a good careers adviser for myself. Any body knows a good one please? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Join Linked in and build up a network it really does work especially in certain industries.

Always tailor your CV to match the job description that you are applying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

EireBee wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im recently in same shoes and I need to find a good careers adviser for myself. Any body knows a good one please? thanks

The Limerick local Employment Services also have a number of career advisors working with/for them. Is only my personal opinion but their headquarters in Limerick city has better career advisors than some of their sub branches on the outskirts.

http://www.les.ie/

A few more links that may be of use to you.

http://www.careerguidance.ie/career_guidance/career_guidance.php

http://www.pitman-training.ie/locations/pitman-training-limerick

If you were in UL they provide the service for graduates as well as current students.

http://www3.ul.ie/careers/careers/stugrad/advicesos.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Guys I have an interview with Insomnia coffee this week. Anyone interviewed with them before?
    I've made a list of questions I think they may ask would just love some tips as I really really want this job!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Insomnia are big into Baristas(go figure) but their training and follow up training is second to none. They run internal competitions and the like through their supplier.

Coffee is made by http://www.matthewalgie.com in Glasgow and a dark roast. As long as you can express a love of Coffee especially and presentation. A big thing about Coffee is Latte art so check up on it and Flat Whites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

kilburn wrote: »
    Join Linked in and build up a network it really does work especially in certain industries.

Always tailor your CV to match the job description that you are applying for.

I have had a linkedin account for quite a while now and I must be missing something as there seems to be very little activity there even though I am linked to a wide variety of people in my field there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have had a linkedin account for quite a while now and I must be missing something as there seems to be very little activity there even though I am linked to a wide variety of people in my field there.

I have gotten a few job offers from recruiters on linkedin but I wasnt interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Have you tried joining groups and following companies on LinkedIn? The more information you put into your profile about your profession/courses/skills/experience/expertise the more beneficial it will be.
    I have found a new job via LinkedIn and would never have known about the job if I wasn't on LinkedIn.

Similar here. I was approached by two companies on LinkedIn. Always nice to feel wanted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

whats the general etiquette when randomly handing out cv's in town.
    Do you put them in an envelope or just stapled together ?

• Advertisement

whats the general etiquette when randomly handing out cv's in town.
    Do you put them in an envelope or just stapled together ?

Sheets of paper all look alike. Put it in a Large A4 Sized Brown Envelope and before handing it over and the managers/owners name if they aren't there and write that in big bold letters on it so they will be drawn to it when they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 b3mol

Guys trust. It doesn't really matter how to hand out a CV.
    I am getting around 20 CVs every week. The only thing I am looking at is experience, interests (f.e. Rugby if employed for bar) and at the very end I have a quick look at the last school someone has attended to.
    There is no point to write down things like "I am punctual, hard working" etc.... Everyone writes the same and nobody cares about it really.
    I also think that there is no point to include your school marks in CV. If You're applying for a waiter - then share your knowledge about food and drinks in CV - not Your mark from Biology. :)
    As long as you can keep your CV tidy and easy to read - its perfect. You can also put a bigger font on something that You want employer to focus on.
    I was doing my own CV million times and I am never happy with it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Does anybody know of any bars hiring around the city(apart from Smyths)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 b3mol

I think that Bentleys is still looking for people to cover the Brazen Head bar.
    If You have waiting experience then drop one CV to Hamptons in Henry Street

CMS aquisitions ?
    Anybody ever heard of them ?
    threw a cv their way randomly not expecting anything but I have an interview with them now and havn't a clue what they actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

CMS aquisitions ?
    Anybody ever heard of them ?
    threw a cv their way randomly not expecting anything but I have an interview with them now and havn't a clue what they actually do.

Stay away from them it is door to door selling and from what I am told it is some kind of pyramid scheme and you work for commision only

campo wrote: »
    Stay away from them it is door to door selling and from what I am told it is some kind of pyramid scheme and you work for commision only

Not worth the hassle so, going door to door would probably cost me more than what I'd make on commission.

Finding a job for the summer while on my college break is proving difficult :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

hi guys.. any recent update??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Still on the search for something fulltime, have something part-time but it's not great at all, I can't see it being open much longer we just don't have the customers anymore.

what part times do you have

• Advertisement

hi guys

ive got call from CMS company..

I wonder did you have any experience with them or did you hear anything about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Erper wrote: »
    hi guys

ive got call from CMS company..

I wonder did you have any experience with them or did you hear anything about it...

There's a description of the company in a post 5 posts above your own.
    And google throws up a lot of negativity about them too....

banie01 wrote: »
    There's a description of the company in a post 5 posts above your own.
    And google throws up a lot of negativity about them too....

ok, thx :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything lately?

nothing really...

Fire your CV into Stryker people. Did an aptitude for them a few months back and got an FO letter a week afterwards. Got called for another test today without even reapplying. Fingers crossed. The brother (who works there) said they are hiring again. They hire a hand full of people every so often without advertising. These are temp positions with a chance of being made permanent btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

shaaane wrote: »
    Fire your CV into Stryker people. Did an aptitude for them a few months back and got an FO letter a week afterwards. Got called for another test today without even reapplying. Fingers crossed. The brother (who works there) said they are hiring again. They hire a hand full of people every so often without advertising. These are temp positions with a chance of being made permanent btw.

And what qualifications do you need for that job??

i had CV sent to Vistakon.. and somehow my request wasnt successful even if i knew a guy who work there...

it was job for 40 people, 20 for LIT/UL students and 20 for family members/friends/etc

NinjaK wrote: »
    And what qualifications do you need for that job??

Your leaving cert. Its a general operatives job

• Advertisement

shaaane wrote: »
    Your leaving cert. Its a general operatives job

and where do you apply for this ?
    online or what ?

Advertisement