Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ciaran Hayden", and the Revenue Tax Defaulter's List

Options
  • 06-03-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the Ciaran Hayden who appears on the most recent Tax Defaulter's list is the same Ciaran Hayden who resigned as a FF Councillor last November ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And a former Fianna Fail town councillor from Greystones, Co Wicklow, Ciaran Hayden was listed for a settlement of €80,745 for the under-declaration of capital gains tax.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/former-aide-to-ahern-is-hit-for-over-100000-as-tax-defaulter-29111805.html

Good auld FF'ers true to form...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Interesting. After all the abuse he heaped on those who wanted the harbour sorted out. At least we pay tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Alan_P wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Ciaran Hayden who appears on the most recent Tax Defaulter's list is the same Ciaran Hayden who resigned as a FF Councillor last November ?

Per the newspaper report..
    "And a former Fianna Fail town councillor from Greystones, Co Wicklow, Ciaran Hayden was listed for a settlement of €80,745 for the under-declaration of capital gains tax."

Did not know he had resigned - guessing he saw this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

further..

"Former councillor Ciaran Hayden, listed as a tyre retailer on the defaulter's list, quit Greystones Town Council last November.

He said at the time that it was because he was "extremely disappointed" with the Government's plans to scrap town councils.

A revenue audit found that he owed €54,525 after he had under-declared capital gains tax and also ruled that he should pay a further €26,220 in interest and penalties.

Mr Hayden also said he had "no comment" last night."

Right.. so it FG's fault. Good man yerself.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,025 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

legrand wrote: »

What?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

in the past he was also "struck off". not allowing him to be a CEO of a company

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Interesting. After all the abuse he heaped on those who wanted the harbour sorted out. At least we pay tax!
    legrand wrote: »
    further..

"Former councillor Ciaran Hayden, listed as a tyre retailer on the defaulter's list, quit Greystones Town Council last November.

He said at the time that it was because he was "extremely disappointed" with the Government's plans to scrap town councils.

A revenue audit found that he owed €54,525 after he had under-declared capital gains tax and also ruled that he should pay a further €26,220 in interest and penalties.

Mr Hayden also said he had "no comment" last night."

nungesser wrote: »

Let him without sin peg the first stone. :rolleyes:

nungesser wrote: »

Have you a link to this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Have you a link to this?

I had a look at Disqualified / Restricted Person Search on cro.ie

He's not on that list. There are 4 other people called Hayden in Greystones on it. Perhaps you got confused.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

The Haydens on that list are not the same Haydens.
    I find it hard to believe that Boards would be involved in a character assassination of this person :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

I had a look at Disqualified / Restricted Person Search on cro.ie

He's not on that list. There are 4 other people called Hayden in Greystones on it. Perhaps you got confused.

That list just shows those currently disqualified :- disqualifications are usually for a specific period, it's possible Hayden was disqualified and the period has expired.

In fact this post from 2010 links to that list and says he's on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69472410&postcount=396

Noone in that thread subsequently disputed the claim he was listed, nor was the post removed. In fact if the post is right that he was disqualified under Section 150 of the 1990 Act, Section 150 mandates a disqualification period of 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

bido wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that Boards would be involved in a character assassination of this person :mad:
    To be fair, he'd been using Greystones Guide as his personal medium to question the actions and motives of others without any basis for quite a while.

Everything written here about the tax-dodger is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I agree, this man is no longer serving in public life and his privacy should be respected.
    It was different in the past whilst he was a member of the local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I agree, this man is no longer serving in public life and his privacy should be respected.

I disagree completely.

1. He was a very vocal public representative who held strong views on issues which many people disagreed with. We are still entitled to discuss his role/performance etc. in relation to the Harbour development even if he has tried to step away from the limelight.

2. His tax affairs while he was a public representative are VERY relevant to those of us who do pay our taxes. Again, slipping out of the limelight does not prevent us from commenting his performance as a public official and his neglect in paying tax.

{Surely we are allowed to opine on Bertie Ahearn's performance as Minister of Finance/Taoiseach and his inability to open a bank account even though he is no longer a public representative. Bigger issue, but same principle.}

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not very nice of you to accuse Boards as an entity of character assassination - there may be users of Boards who do not like the man and make comment against him, but that is very different from Boards.ie being the ones behind it as you imply.

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Agreed

The information posted so far here seems to be factual. I have discussed with the other mods. We are uncomfortable with this discussion.

Even though Ciaran Hayden is a former councillor - the fact remains that this he is now a private individual, & we should treat him as such & offer him the same courtesy that we would any other individual.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement