Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFDS Logistics returns to the railway

Options
  • 27-02-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Evening folks,

It's turning into busy week so far. Today was no different.

The Container Pocket Wagons (CPW's) have been receiving maintenance at Limerick Wagon Works in preparation for the DFDS Liner returning to the railway. The train is planned to operate twice a week each way using the CPW's thus taking them over new ground between Cherryville Jct. and Waterford. The service is scheduled to start in the first week of March. In advance of this the wagons were transferred from Limerick to Ballina via Portarlington on Wednesday 27th February 2013. 075 provided the traction and the train is pictured passing Geashill, Co. Offally.
    http://smu.gs/YZZ9gs

The Wanderer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I read a while back that the CPWs were tested out to 70mph loaded but IE have them limited to 50mph. Why is this when they run at 70mph in the UK. They are air braked so what is the deal unless it's the bogies they have fitted here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ballina to Limerick? Where will the engine change sides to head south? In Athlone to go via Athenry or in Portarlington to go via Limerick Junction or is there a line turning south that keeps the locomotion in front that I don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Limerick to Ballina via Portarlington on Wednesday 27th February 2013.

They went to Dublin before Ballina, they departed inchicore between 14.00-14.30 and may explain the delay on services at Portarlington yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Excuse my ignorance,

But what is the advantage (or disadvantage) of the CPWs over normal flatbed container wagons?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They went to Dublin before Ballina, they departed inchicore between 14.00-14.30 and may explain the delay on services at Portarlington yesterday afternoon.

What?? Eh no they didn't.

They went Limerick to Ballina, via Portarlington with the locomotive running around the train in Portarlington.
    bbuzz wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance,

But what is the advantage (or disadvantage) of the CPWs over normal flatbed container wagons?

Cheers!

CPW's allow 9ft 6 high containers to be carried on routes where the container would be out of gauge on a standard flat wagon. The only Hi-Cube routes cleared on the IE network are Ballina - Kildare - Waterford / North Wall.

Kildare - North Wall was only cleared for Hi-Cube containers in January 2012.

I suspect the main reason for the CPW's being used for the new DFDS flow is that DFDS don't require a 18 bogie train and 12CPW's suits their needs. Remember before it finished last year the DFDS liner was loadings at times were very poor.

• Advertisement

What?? Eh no they didn't.

They went Limerick to Ballina, via Portarlington with the locomotive running around the train in Portarlington.

Well CPW's departed Inchicore just after the 14.00 to Cork (I am certain it was 075 but could of being 074). Any idea where they went to then as it wasn't Waterford or anywhere south of Portarlington.

• Site Banned Posts: 46 pointsman

Well CPW's departed Inchicore just after the 14.00 to Cork (I am certain it was 075 but could of being 074). Any idea where they went to then as it wasn't Waterford or anywhere south of Portarlington.

I think Wanderer's original post sort of gives it away just a bit though...Not by much....

"The 0910 Limerick/Ballina Transfer"

I doubt it. There is only 12 active CPW's and they all went to Ballina. Unless they shunted the few stored examples at Inchicore.

I doubt it. There is only 12 active CPW's and they all went to Ballina. Unless they shunted the few stored examples at Inchicore.

Maybe but there was at least 10 I counted and the loco facing for Kildare, I passed back at 15.50 and they were all gone no where to be seen. One thing the line between Portarlington and Geashill had an unscheduled movement that afternoon and it caused services to be delayed, 14.45 to Westport was delayed 20 minutes in Portarlington and Cork and Galway were affected as a result. It was not regular freight.

I'm not making it up so we will have to agree to disagree on it.

Maybe but there was at least 10 I counted and the loco facing for Kildare, I passed back at 15.50 and they were all gone no where to be seen. One thing the line between Portarlington and Geashill had an unscheduled movement that afternoon and it caused services to be delayed, 14.45 to Westport was delayed 20 minutes in Portarlington and Cork and Galway were affected as a result. It was not regular freight.

I'm not making it up so we will have to agree to disagree on it.

I think we will agree to disagree but I know there was no CPW in the Dublin area on Wednesday. By 1400 the CPW's were crossing the Shannon.

As for that unscheduled freight? It was a scheduled freight which was out of path.

The Wanderer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I wonder if it will be all 9'6/CPW per movement or a mix with standard/flat as we used to see in the past

• Site Banned Posts: 46 pointsman

dowlingm wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be all 9'6/CPW per movement or a mix with standard/flat as we used to see in the past

Personally, I was wondering if it was a Inchicore / Limerick transfer? Wheelcarrier/Tara/Flat/CPW transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Well 234 worked the first Waterford-Ballina DFDS service today. It was NOT done with CPW. It was operated by the units that operated it before, there was around 12 and all full departing this morning.

Here is a old picture from Irish Rail site that these things were used today.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/DFDS21.jpg

The inaugural 1105 Ballina - Waterford Belview Port DFDS liner passing through Athy with the Container Pocket Wagons. The train was running +60 late as the train loco had to go and rescue failed Tamper 744 at Monastervin.
    http://smu.gs/12s2vPG

Also a video of the first departure from Belview Port yesterday uploaded by the Port of Waterford. The train was hauled by 234 and consisted of 18 flats which were all loaded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0xVkVZL7I&sns=em

According to DFDS CEO they hope in time to restore the third weekly rotation in the future. Would be great if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The inaugural 1105 Ballina - Waterford Belview Port DFDS liner passing through Athy with the Container Pocket Wagons. The train was running +60 late as the train loco had to go and rescue failed Track Recording Car 700 at Monastervin.
    http://smu.gs/12s2vPG

Also a video of the first departure from Belview Port yesterday uploaded by the Port of Waterford. The train was hauled by 234 and consisted of 18 flats which were all loaded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0xVkVZL7I&sns=em

I thought Ireland was too small to have rail freight? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think most people have consistantly said with the exception of a flow such as this, Ireland is too small. Most other possible destinations have Ports of their own so it would be hard to envisage others flows.

Lets hope I am proved wrong in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Best wishes to DFDS. Their determination to use the railways despite being put off at every turn by CIE is to be admired. Their predecessors Norfolk Lines showed faith back in 2005 when CIE tried to abandon railfreight while so-called economists said Ireland was too small for railfreight. I recall a memorable clip on SixOne News showing Barry Kenny declare the country was too small for profitable railfreight as a profit making Tara Mines Liner trundled past in the background after its 50 mile trip!!!!!! and the indifferent reporter had'nt the savvy to ask Mr Kenny -"Whats that?".......

I am confident that DFDS have CIEs measure at this point. One thing they might consider as indeed the Minister for Transport and railfreight campaigners should, is an interesting gem of knowledge revealed in CIEs recent accounts. I must credit the researchers in the Irish Railway Record Society Journal in the February 2013 issue for this.

According to the IRRS Journal on page 260,

"Track access charges of €37.6m are noted in the [Annual] report for the first time.
    They were apportioned
    • mainline access charge €25.5 - expenditure €148m - 17%
    • suburban access charge €9.7 - expenditure €43m - 22%
    • freight access charge €2.4 - expenditure €5m - 19%
    There was no explanation in the report of how these charges were derived, nor was the relationship between them and infrastructure expenditure allocations noted above explained."

Bear in mind that there are less than 3,000 freight trains per annum compared with about 150,000 passenger trains! Freight trains use about 15% of the systems track network. I reckon the freight access charge should be 2% if you base track charges on their proportionate volume of trains;or 1.25% if track charges are proportionate to expenditure; rather than 19%,..

In other words each freight train should be charged track access charges of €100 to €150 rather than €1,400.

Before applying track access charges of €2.4m in 2011 Railfreight showed a profit of €1.1m.

Using the above data track access charges should have been €100,000 to €250,000 leaving a net profit of €850,000 to €1m rather than the recorded loss of €1.3!

As Frank Carson used to say, “Its the way you tell ‘em!”.

It appears to me that freight access charges are loaded deliberately and disproportionately to the disadvantage of railfreight.

The IRRS Journal continues,” Based on the tonne-km implied in the [CIE Annual] Report the freight track access charge works out at approximately 2.6 cent/tonne-km or based on the number of trains per week in the report it works out at approximately €1,400 per freight train. Using the Railway Safety Commission annual train-km figures for 2010 the charge works out at approximately €2 per train-km for passenger trains.”

If the average passenger train journey is 200km this means CIE charge a passenger train €400 and a freight train €1,400.

That’s outrageous and undermines railfreight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Snipped.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0xVkVZL7I&sns=em[/QUOTE]

A smidgin fast there for still in a yard, methinks.........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cbl593h wrote: »
    A smidgin fast there for still in a yard, methinks.........:eek:

Looks like the video was speeded up a bit? also I don't think I've seen so many high vis covered suits gathered in one place, they were all out for the party, must have been a free lunch or "refreshments" after:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

yachtsman wrote: »
    Best wishes to DFDS. Their determination to use the railways despite being put off at every turn by CIE is to be admired. .....
    If the average passenger train journey is 200km this means CIE charge a passenger train €400 and a freight train €1,400.

That’s outrageous and undermines railfreight.

As it stands, rail freight policy in Ireland is that trains are run and billed without using any subvention or subsidy funds. On this basis, freight trains are efectively private leasings with all costs incurred passed on the the customer, including a set track access rate and a per KM rate. This is why the track cost shown are higher than passenger trains. While it does undermine rail freight this is the rules under which the DoT makes Irish Rail freight operates here and not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I think Irish Rail might be beginning to realise that they better get some extra freight on the rails as passenger numbers are falling, and the government are strapped for cash. There isno guarantee the government will sustain their pay, pensions, and working conditions.

If Irish Rail went on all out strike I don't think they have a huge amount of leverage.

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4778&p=116&n=237
    New rail freight service between Waterford and Ballina

07 March 2013
    There’s more good news in rail freight! DFDS Logistics have begun a twice weekly in each direction container rail service between Waterford Port and Ballina this week.
    The new service will benefit customers in the West and North West of Ireland in particular, providing them with a cost effective alternative when compared with a road based shipping. Coupled with this, the customer also reduces their carbon footprint.
    The trains are planned to meet DFDS sailing schedules from Waterford Port to Rotterdam, which allows for onward delivery into Europe. Customers can now load in the West of Ireland on Tuesday morning and deliver in Holland on Thursday pm/Friday am. Rotterdam also provides access to DFDS sailings to Norway, and rail connections to Italy, allowing for a rail-sea-rail connection from Ballina to Milan.
    DFDS will utilise a significant amount of available rail wagons , but have left scope to develop the service further by introducing new customers, both internal Irish traffic and import / export traffic.
    This is an important addition to the DFDS services in Ireland, and perfect business for rail freight from Iarnród Éireann’s point of view, covering a longer distance, guaranteed volumes and direct port access. It will see freight volumes increase from 91 million tonne kilometres in 2012 to 105 million tonne kilometres approx in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 out_of_the_pale

DFDS liner will run 18 wagons on Monday and Friday and 12 wagons (cpw's) Tuesday and Thursday.

There is no DFDS CEO in Ireland as mentioned in another post, but I know they do want a 3rd or even 4th service up and running in the future.

DFDS liner will run 18 wagons on Monday and Friday and 12 wagons (cpw's) Tuesday and Thursday.

There is no DFDS CEO in Ireland as mentioned in another post, but I know they do want a 3rd or even 4th service up and running in the future.

Is there enough 47ft flats to keep DFDS happy and the IWT flows going? IE may have to bring the other 12 CPWs into service. That won't leave any maintenance spares.

IE may have to bring the other 12 CPWs into service. That won't leave any maintenance spares.

Freight is probably the only profitable part of Irish Rail at the minute so they will need to do whatever is possible to keep both parties happy if they are serous about freight which they seem to be more so now than lets say a few years ago. I'm sure both operators understand that maintenance is required and if there was a shortage both would just have to deal with a reduced capacity or frequency for a small period of time while the work is done. Ships also require overhauls so they either stop for a period or they have spare ships to take the slack. If they have to stop then both them and Irish Rail should carry out there maintenance at the same time.

Out of interest does anyone know the total number of flats, cpw and timber ones.

Out of interest does anyone know the total number of flats, cpw and timber ones.

IE have 24 CPWs and 24 bogie timbers. There are about 40 60ft wagons, about 24 are used for timber and some of the rest were modified to carry welded rails for the PWD to form the rail train.

They had a ton of 42ft and 47ft flats up to a few years ago. I don't know how many have been scrapped with the drop off of freight a few years back.
    At one time there were about 200 42ft flats and 70 47ft flats. I reckon about 100 of the older type of 42ft flats were scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

May I ask what route the train takes from Waterford to Ballina?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

flazio wrote: »
    May I ask what route the train takes from Waterford to Ballina?

It heads Waterford to Kildare firstly, avoiding Kilkenny via Lavistown junction. The engine changes ends at Kildare and then it's Kildare to Portarlington, Athlone, Manulla and Ballina. On some of these trips, a loco is changed at Kildare so you may get to see two engines at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

Roll on phase two of the WRC!!

Advertisement