Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadcasting charge will be levied on every home in the country

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rabbitte-broadcasting-charge-will-be-levied-on-every-home-in-the-country-586197.html
    The Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte has said everyone will have to pay a new broadcasting charge to replace the TV licence, regardless of whether or not they own a television.

I thought AH would love this. In principle, I don't really have any issue with this charge. Public broadcasts and public programming provide an essential civic and cultural function and need to be paid for.

A separate broadcasting charge seems ridiculous though. If everyone is to pay it, then why not just throw it onto the property tax? What is the public service obsession for duplication of effort and having hundreds of little charges instead of one or two big ones that cover everything?

They also need to restructure it massively. TG4 produce great programming on a fraction of RTE's budget. Instead, all broadcasters should be required to apply for access to public funding in return for devoting 30% of their time to home-produced content, another 30% to public service broadcasting, with a limit of 15 minutes of advertising in every hour.

And if RTE can't afford to pay Miriam, Joe, Kenny or Tubbs their ridiculous salaries, then let them feck off to the UK to find work and we'll have a good old laugh at them when they arrive back here with their tails between their legs, begging to be given €80k a year.
    We have a massive pool of talented people here, we don't need to be paying some old hacks huge money for doing a mediocre job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

But the sh1t the does be on RTE is unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

seamus wrote: »
    If everyone is to pay it, then why not just throw it onto the property tax?

Because then the property owner pays it, not the occupier. It wouldn't make sense to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Next, look out for property tax for the homeless. depending on the standard of the cardboard, or location of the park bench, or shop doorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smash wrote: »
    Because then the property owner pays it, not the occupier. It wouldn't make sense to do it that way.
    Why not? Easier to collect from the landlord than the renter. The landlord can just lob it onto the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought AH would love this. In principle, I don't really have any issue with this charge. Public broadcasts and public programming provide an essential civic and cultural function and need to be paid for.
    Maybe when they were the only game in town they provided an essential service but the fact is they are just one type of service provider in a sea of service providers.

I've pretty much stopped using all RTE services, I don't watch any of their TV channels, I don't listen to any of their radio stations and don't read any literature they produce. It not due to any boycott either. I have to seek out information these days and RTE is not a source of information I'd have any interest in seeking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Hopefully its less than the current licence.
    It should be considering the amount of people that get away without paying it as it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I got a Tax bill today that would knock JP McManus for six, so they can politely ask my hole for their Montrose money. How exactly they seem to think I owe them 75% of my income is beyond me. Now they want the crappy amount I get left with to fund Gay Byrnes new cummerbund? Away and shyte, respectfully. Actually, not respectfully. Just away and shyte. Had my fill of this gangster ridden kip of a country, tbh. Top tip, work for the state, because otherwise you're just gonna get a shafting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hopefully its less than the current licence.

There's two chances of that I'd say.... slim and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

And i bet they will put Revenue in charge of collecting it

Why not? Easier to collect from the landlord than the renter.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why not? Easier to collect from the landlord than the renter. The landlord can just lob it onto the rent.

Not everyone is eligible for property tax, this way they get everyone to pay. I'm hoping that means those of us who work aren't going to subsidise people on SW yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Household Charge 2.0

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"this will not apply to those who we all pay for already" so people on dole, single mothers will continue to be immune from every charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

yop wrote: »
    "this will not apply to those who we all pay for already" so people on dole, single mothers will continue to be immune from every charge.

As far as i know only OAPS get a hand out for the TV licence

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How so?
    Easier to identify the owner of a property than the occupier. Also means you have no partial-year problems where a tenant moves out halfway through the year. Just charge the owner for the full year, no refunds, problem sorted.

The Minister told the Dáil that he is due to receive a value-for-money report on the best way of implementing the new broadcasting charge at the end of March.

So if I have a current TV license, do I have to pay this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

yop wrote: »

People on the dole and single mothers aren't exempt from paying the TV licence.

Why does this myth keep rearing it's ugly head time and time again?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As far as i know only OAPS get a hand out for the TV licence

Not sure tbh, I know my parents who are on a "standard" pension have to fork out for the household charge, the water chargers, septic tank etc etc and had a big chunk of their line rental handout taken off them.

Yet those on the dole are immune from all chargers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No, but you have to pay a €200 administration fee in order for them not to charge you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Not sure, it looks like Pet Rabbit has yet to sign off on this, so he might just be kite flying.

Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

He has signed off on it. Mind you, he says it isn't a tax despite the fact it's a 'compulsory charge imposed by the government'. So I'd say unless he wants to look foolish, he won't get the revenue to collect this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heard this being bounced around a few years ago as a replacement to the TV Licence, for those who pay their licence already, cant see it as two much of a complaint.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's two chances of that I'd say.... slim and none.

You would imagine it would be, considered this targets every household, rather than just them with a TV. Although considering our goverment, I'd say your right.

Not sure, it looks like Pet Rabbit has yet to sign off on this, so he might just be kite flying.

Time will tell.
    He's mentioned this broadcasting charge a good few times now and said that it will be imposed as soon as it's implemented. There better be TV license refunds!

I took it to mean that at the end of March he's getting the report on how to implement it rather than he's getting a report on how to implement it at the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I bought my tv licence January 2nd, will that payment be transferred to the new charge?? :confused:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I took it to mean that at the end of March he's getting the report on how to implement it rather than he's getting a report on how to implement it at the end of March.

Yea, but I'm assuming that when he gets the report, he'll implement it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wait, you have to pay a broadcasting charge even if you don't own a tv? what kind of sense does that make? "people watch tv on their tablets and phones" and? Using something like sky go you're already paying sky for it. This country will just try fcuk you as much as possible, even if you dont use the service you're being charged for.

Yea, but I'm assuming that when he gets the report, he'll implement it asap.

Yeah but ASAP with these lads could be ages away!

You've more faith in gobberment efficiency than I do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Well, I'm not one bit concerned.......

I have not paid my house hold charge ..

I have not paid my septic tank charge...

and I'm still alive and well, no one has come and burned my house down yet!

....so, I'll not be paying this new charge either.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement