Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Children visas and Open study permits?

Options
  • 23-02-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I am looking for advice on what visa's my children need when travelling to Canada, im getting some contrasting views on the internet. Basicly myelf and my wife have applied for IEC visas and we are bringing our kids. The children are 4 and 9. My understanding is the 9 year old needs an Open Study Permit but it states on the CIC website that children travelling with parents who have a work permit are exempt from needing a study permit. Also the 4 year old does she need a temporary resident visa i filled out the come to canada wizard and it concluded that she did not need a TRV. If some one could give me some clear advice or if there are other people in the same situation that would be great. Confused.com.....:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

I have no idea but will be in a similar position soon myself & need to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarahandphil

pfarrel1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for advice on what visa's my children need when travelling to Canada, im getting some contrasting views on the internet. Basicly myelf and my wife have applied for IEC visas and we are bringing our kids. The children are 4 and 9. My understanding is the 9 year old needs an Open Study Permit but it states on the CIC website that children travelling with parents who have a work permit are exempt from needing a study permit. Also the 4 year old does she need a temporary resident visa i filled out the come to canada wizard and it concluded that she did not need a TRV. If some one could give me some clear advice or if there are other people in the same situation that would be great. Confused.com.....:eek:
    We are in same boat , bringing our 3 year old and I can't find clear information on how to go about this! Just wondering how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Hi we are in the same boat and I emailed a guy in goforless.ie who help people with visas and he said our 19 month old will be issued a visa at the border to correspond with our visas provided we have adequate funds available to show we can support her for the two years .
    U also need insurance Pre bought for the entire visa prior to the trip that might be checked at the border.
    We can get back packers insurance but then a policy for our little girl is crazy money - god it's not easy to get sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thelooper

Hi, we are also bringing our 3 year old and 19 month old and I've no idea where to start looking for insurance to cover all of us. With regards to having adequate funds to show we can support them for the two years does anyone have any idea how much they would be looking for? So much to organsie....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Why on earth are people bringing children to Canada on temporary Visas? I could understand if they were permanent visas, but you're all coming over and likely be leaving in a year or two, unsettling the kid further... Seems a bit unnecessary imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

COYVB wrote: »
    Why on earth are people bringing children to Canada on temporary Visas? I could understand if they were permanent visas, but you're all coming over and likely be leaving in a year or two, unsettling the kid further... Seems a bit unnecessary imo

For many of us I imagine we haven't much alternative! Hellish debt, depression & unemployment in Ireland, or a chance of a far better life in Canada. Which option do you think the children will benefit most from?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

For many of us I imagine we haven't much alternative! Hellish debt, depression & unemployment in Ireland, or a chance of a far better life in Canada. Which option do you think the children will benefit most from?

I agree with that, if your children will have a better quality of life in Canada vs Ireland then why wouldn't you want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

not everyone going have as many chocies as you it seems.

Yeah, they get all that for 2 years. They also get taken away from all their friends, all their family and plonked in a new country thousands of km away with no guarantee of work for their parents (it's not the land of milk and honey over here you know), then, after 2 years when they've got all their new friends, figured out the school system (which is VERY different) and settled, they'll be uprooted again and back to Ireland unless mammy and daddy manage to do what 16500 other Irish temporary immigrants of the previous 24 months want to and somehow manage to stay in the country.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's the ugly truth of it. 99% of people who come over here will be back in ireland in 2 years, a massive chunk of them having never worked more than a service job for a pittance - dragging a kit over into the deal is just a bit much imo. That's potentially 2 life changing moves in 2 years

gary27 wrote: »
    I agree with that, if your children will have a better quality of life in Canada vs Ireland then why wouldn't you want that.

I completely agree if it's a permanent move, but a 2 year IEC visa is not a permanent move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 pfarrel1

We are in same boat , bringing our 3 year old and I can't find clear information on how to go about this! Just wondering how you got on?
    Hi i got in contact with Moving2canada.com they were very helpful. They were of the understanding that my two children would be issued visas on arrival to Canada. They also referrenced this link http://www.expatforum.com/expats/canada-expat-forum-expats-living-canada/102679-iec-visa-children.html

Yeah, they get all that for 2 years. They also get taken away from all their friends, all their family and plonked in a new country thousands of km away with no guarantee of work for their parents (it's not the land of milk and honey over here you know), then, after 2 years when they've got all their new friends, figured out the school system (which is VERY different) and settled, they'll be uprooted again and back to Ireland unless mammy and daddy manage to do what 16500 other Irish temporary immigrants of the previous 24 months want to and somehow manage to stay in the country.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's the ugly truth of it. 99% of people who come over here will be back in ireland in 2 years, a massive chunk of them having never worked more than a service job for a pittance - dragging a kit over into the deal is just a bit much imo. That's potentially 2 life changing moves in 2 years
    You come across as being a little bitter. The whole idea of going to Canada is to get your foot in the door and if it doesn't work out at least our kids would have experienced a different way of life. We are looking at it like an aventure of a lifetime. You comments seem a little bit xenophobic. From my understanding canadians move to different parts of Canada with their kids all the time , whats the big deal.

You come across as being a little bitter. The whole idea of going to Canada is to get your foot in the door and if it doesn't work out at least our kids would have experienced a different way of life. We are looking at it like an aventure of a lifetime. You comments seem a little bit xenophobic. From my understanding canadians move to different parts of Canada with their kids all the time , whats the big deal.

How is what I said either xenophobic or bitter? I moved to Canada 4 years ago myself, and I'm still here, but I'm one of the lucky few who managed to stay. The culture is quite different, and it'd be a shock to the kids' system not once, but twice, if they came over then went back.

Like I said, for anyone who has a non IEC visa arrangement sorted, where they'll be here for the long haul with work already tied up, then I couldn't possibly recommend the country any more. For someone who's coming over with kids in tow hoping to raise them here with little more than pipe dreams and hope, it's an incredibly unfair situation to put the kids through.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Hi i got in contact with Moving2canada.com they were very helpful. They were of the understanding that my two children would be issued visas on arrival to Canada. They also referrenced this link http://www.expatforum.com/expats/canada-expat-forum-expats-living-canada/102679-iec-visa-children.html

Hi any luck with insurance for your kiddies ? Did u need 2 years insurance for kids aswell even though they won't be on iec visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 KenJG

Hi all,
    Just wanted to give you my experience. I came to Canada and more precisely Regina, Saskatchewan almost exactly a year ago. I was on a 1 year IEC my wife followed a month later also on a one year IEC. Our 2 kids came with my wife and although only one of them is of school going age, they were both issued with study permits. IEC acceptance is not a visa or work permit, you don't get that until you "land". Your status in Canada is in the hands of cic border officers. Therefore they will decide the status of your children when you land. I have yet to hear of anyone landing on an IEC with kids, have their kids not issued study permits.
    In the case of Saskatchewan there is a massive labour shortage here especially in the skilled category. If you are still considering where to go and have a trade or education involving the construction sector I would highly recommend here, YOU WILL FIND WORK HERE.
    From my own experience. As a result of securing a really great job and employer I applied for the SINP (Saskatchewan immigration nomination programme) and my application under the skilled worker category was accepted and I was nominated by the Saskatchewan government for permanent residency, I have this week been issued a two year work permit while I await my permanent residency from the federal government.
    So from my point of view the IEC was perfect, as it was an open work permit I could search out good prospective employers and if things didn't work out I could move on. My wife has the freedom to work under the IEC and my kids can go to school no questions asked, and now as I am the primary applicant on the SINP, my wife and kids come in on my application, my wife did have to pay for a new work permit but it was only $150 and it lasts two years. The kids are free to attend school and we are half way to becoming permanent residents all in the space of a year.

Hope that helps somewhat. Again in Canada Saskatchewan is the place to be it has the fastest growing economy and the lowest rate of unemployment for the second year running. There are lots of Irish families out here now and a great growing community. We have also just founded Saskatchewan's first GAA club, here in Regina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Threads in this forum are there to get advice and help eachother. If you can't make your point politely, don't post. *****

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ellyo

Hi,I am in the same situation as you and I would like to ask you if you got any relevant information about the open study permit for the minor childrens.
    Please,I need help.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

How is what I said either xenophobic or bitter? I moved to Canada 4 years ago myself, and I'm still here, but I'm one of the lucky few who managed to stay. The culture is quite different, and it'd be a shock to the kids' system not once, but twice, if they came over then went back.

Like I said, for anyone who has a non IEC visa arrangement sorted, where they'll be here for the long haul with work already tied up, then I couldn't possibly recommend the country any more. For someone who's coming over with kids in tow hoping to raise them here with little more than pipe dreams and hope, it's an incredibly unfair situation to put the kids through.

Life isnt fair! What the kids are going to end up drug addicts or something cause they move a few times during their life, get real. Happens all the time. Moving from one western english speaking country to another is not a big deal, kids adapt quickly and will even forget all about their previous country in a year or two.

do you seriously think parents are just going to canada for a laugh? Im sure they have thought long and hard about it. They dont need you lambasting their decisions on this thread possibly making them feel worse about themselves when all they came here for was some advice. Id say quit your judgmental posts, you dont know everybodys situation

Ellyo wrote: »
    Hi,I am in the same situation as you and I would like to ask you if you got any relevant information about the open study permit for the minor childrens.
    Please,I need help.Thanks
    I got in touch with a group called the migrantproject and they contacted the Irish Canadian Embassy in Toronto regarding the childrens visa this is the reply they got from the Embassy
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hi,[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] The website of the IEC for Ireland appears to no longer have this information, however I have been in contact with the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre in Toronto ([/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]www.irishcanadianimmigrationcentre.org[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]) and they have confirmed the following:[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]‘Dependent children traveling with parents on work permits are not required to carry study permits. Just bring their [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]passports[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] and [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]birth certificates[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif].’[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]As far as I am aware, you also have to prove that you can support your children for the duration of your stay (sufficient funds, insurance for medical and health-care, return tickets or proof of sufficient funds to purchase these at a later date, etc.). For more information, I suggest you contact the Embassy of Canada in Ireland by email on [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]DUBLIN.IEC-EIC@international.gc.ca[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    I haven't looked into insurance just yet but what i gather its not cheap. Hope this helps

Thank you very much and I wish u all the best luck in Canada

• Advertisement

You can try Backpacker Travel Insurance better choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Im sorry if it sounds harsh, but instability is just a fact of life now for many many Irish children. whether they stay in Ireland or whether they leave. The country is in upheaval.

On the plus side, even though it is tough on kids, you are also teaching your kids not to give up, a chance to keep trying, and to get out of this parochial little world. You want your kids and grandkids to inherit this financial cesspool?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

We are on 2 year IEC visas having just renewed them after 1 year of living in Canada. Both our children were just put down as accompanying members on the visa. Kids are aged 3 (nearly 4) and 1. The first time we arrived in Canada, 1 year ago, the guy issuing the visa questioned us if the 3yr old needed a study permit (2 at the time, I know she is clever and all that but not ready for school :-) ) i just told him that according to the IEC she didnt need one until she is school going age, which is at least 5, but this time around they never mentioned it.
    As for insurance on the goforless.ie website it asks how many adults are travelling between the ages of 0-49 so they are covered. €1140 for the 4 of us for our 2year stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭usher1890

Hi All

If you dont mind can I jump on this thread. I will be travelling to Canada in the next few months (going IEC to avoid LMIA restrictions although I do have two job offers).

My wife and children will be travelling with me (my wife has also applied for the IEC). From what I can gather we do not need visas for the children (5 and 2), as whatever they require will be issued at the border. However, will we need health insurance for them as I heard they will not require them?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

usher1890 wrote: »
    Hi All

If you dont mind can I jump on this thread. I will be travelling to Canada in the next few months (going IEC to avoid LMIA restrictions although I do have two job offers).

My wife and children will be travelling with me (my wife has also applied for the IEC). From what I can gather we do not need visas for the children (5 and 2), as whatever they require will be issued at the border. However, will we need health insurance for them as I heard they will not require them?

Thanks in advance

Yes your kids will get visitor records are the border (assuming they have Irish passports) which will allow them to attend school. You won't be able to register them for school until you have a lease agreement (schools are based on address over here). And some districts won't allow to register until you have a letter of reference from a job.

For health insurance, it's definitely advisable to get some form of insurance for the kids. Most provinces have restrictions on when you can join the provincial healthcare system. For BC, you need to wait up to three months until you can register for provincial healthcare and until then you have to pay for everything (and it's not cheap).

Yes your kids will get visitor records are the border (assuming they have Irish passports) which will allow them to attend school. You won't be able to register them for school until you have a lease agreement (schools are based on address over here). And some districts won't allow to register until you have a letter of reference from a job.

For health insurance, it's definitely advisable to get some form of insurance for the kids. Most provinces have restrictions on when you can join the provincial healthcare system. For BC, you need to wait up to three months until you can register for provincial healthcare and until then you have to pay for everything (and it's not cheap).

Thanks for that, I suppose my concern is that I have 3 job offers but to avoid having to wait 3 months for labour certification I was going to go through the IEC. When I decide which organisation to go with surely they will cover health insurance etc... and as far as I am aware I can extend that for a premuim to my family so basically the insurance I pay will be worthless to me with the exception of getting my visa approved at the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

usher1890 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I suppose my concern is that I have 3 job offers but to avoid having to wait 3 months for labour certification I was going to go through the IEC. When I decide which organisation to go with surely they will cover health insurance etc... and as far as I am aware I can extend that for a premuim to my family so basically the insurance I pay will be worthless to me with the exception of getting my visa approved at the border.

Not necessarily true. Most employers provide extended healthcare coverage including dental, optical and certain drugs. The policies (generally) won't cover anything that's provided under the provincial healthcare system (which is most day to day stuff). Until you reach the residency requirement you are somewhat in limbo with regards to healthcare.

Again, it largely depends on the province you are intending to live in.

My own opinion is that everyone in your family should have some form of insurance that covers repatriation to Ireland (which is what most backpackers policies have).

Not necessarily true. Most employers provide extended healthcare coverage including dental, optical and certain drugs. The policies (generally) won't cover anything that's provided under the provincial healthcare system (which is most day to day stuff). Until you reach the residency requirement you are somewhat in limbo with regards to healthcare.

Again, it largely depends on the province you are intending to live in.

My own opinion is that everyone in your family should have some form of insurance that covers repatriation to Ireland (which is what most backpackers policies have).

Thanks. I will be going to Alberta who I believe have all the healthcare needs after 3 months with the exception of repatriation (and ambulances I think). It just seems a bit stiff to be paying so much money but I suppose if thats whats needed I'll have no choice. I'll have to set it up and cancel after I arrive and register for healthcare! lol

Has anyone any experience with Go4Less insurance, it seems to be the cheapest but they have an auto-renew policy where they will renew unless you phone what looks like a premuim number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement