Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare-Healy Pass-Caha Pass -Kenmare: route & timings please.

Options
  • 23-02-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi....

WOuld anyone have a Map-My-Ride or other detail maps on the above route. Planning on driving to Kenmare and parking up to try the above route., But have no idea of what time I should allow to complete same. Also no idea od what the distance of same is ... might be a bit ambious for me at this time anyway!!!

Sikky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Last years An post Rebel tour covered this route, all be it starting from Glengarriff so the distances will be correct. We did in about 3.45 on a very decent day. Terrific cycle, spectacular, enjoy.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1638685

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Cool.... 87 kms.

Ya - done it as part of the Rebel myself last year and was very impressed. Thought I might introduce a few friends to it this year. We'll probably wait til the weather improves though..would like to stop this time and admire the views!

Would reckon that a 9am start from Kenmare will get us back (with a coffe and roll stop in Glengariff) by say 2.30pm at latest. We averaging 24km riders at the moment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

One of nicest loops in country. 3.5hrs should do it.
    Long climbs but not steep.

uote=Sikpupi;83360113]Cool.... 87 kms.

Ya - done it as part of the Rebel myself last year and was very impressed. Thought I might introduce a few friends to it this year. We'll probably wait til the weather improves though..would like to stop this time and admire the views!

Would reckon that a 9am start from Kenmare will get us back (with a coffe and roll stop in Glengariff) by say 2.30pm at latest. We averaging 24km riders at the moment!![/Quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lovely loop. If there is a gang of ye then three hours is definitely achievable.
    My recommendation would be clockwise - Kenmare - Gleng - Healy Pass, Kenmare.

Reasons are simple:
    1 Caha pass from Kenmare is nicer and roads are sh1t.
    2. Caha pass descent to Glengariff is spectacular on smooth safe roads with a great view of Bantry Bay.
    3. You have to do the wall outside Glengariff - 0.5k@10%.
    4. Healy pass from Cork side is a stunning climb with great switchbacks but it is a very technical descent.
    5. Descent into Kerry is safer with better road surface.
    6. When ye get to Laragh head left then right to take the coast road via Killmacologue - you avoid a climb but gain one of the nicest Coastal roads in the county.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Last years An post Rebel tour covered this route, all be it starting from
    Glengarriff so the distances will be correct. We did in about 3.45 on a very
    decent day. Terrific cycle, spectacular, enjoy.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1638685

Hi... could u post again as link gone dead. Am heading off tomorrow to do this route and could do with a 'map' ... in case I get lost!!

• Advertisement

Too late!!.... just back from the trip 4 hours in total including taking in the Coast Road at Lauraugh.

Thoroughly enjoyed it ...except got severe cramps at top of Caha on way home. First was Calves but then on descent got cramps high in my groin area.... Gawd they were sore!! Any tips to avoid getting same ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

Masala wrote: »
    Too late!!.... just back from the trip 4 hours in total including taking in the Coast Road at Lauraugh.

Thoroughly enjoyed it ...except got severe cramps at top of Caha on way home. First was Calves but then on descent got cramps high in my groin area.... Gawd they were sore!! Any tips to avoid getting same ??

Well done. It's a magnificent loop. Sounds like you went anti-clockwise if you finished with Caha. As ROK_ON said, clockwise is even nicer, for all the reasons he gave. You'll just have to do it again tomorrow. :)

Re cramps, the bottom line is that although insufficient hydration or a deficiency of certain salts can be a catalyst, the root cause is pushing your body a bit harder than it wants to be pushed. Simply put, train more. Sorry!

the root cause is pushing your body a bit harder than it wants to be pushed.
    Simply put, train more

Hi Cantalach...Yes I pushed myself to the limits today. I wanted to get off the bike a few times BUT I was already on some sort of a slope and I didn't want to risk falling !!! There were slopes EVERYWHERE!!

I suppose 2 x Major climbs in the one day were just too much for me!!! Have to get this right for the Rebel Tour! Come to think of it ... I got the cramps in exactly the same locations as last years Rebel spin....Spooooky!

As to clockwise.... I wouldn't fancy those S-Bends coming up Healy Pass coming from Glengarriff!! They seem to go on forever!!! And the thrill of going down them was worth that last 100m coming from Kenmare side.

You have to do the wall outside Glengariff - 0.5k@10%.

PS....... ROKON where about was this???? Don't remember anything on the other side of the road with a decent that steep. So just wondering if you could refresh my memory - while I still have the pains of every climb in my legs tonight!

PPS... cool...300 posts! Didn't know I have so much to say! An my mother said I was a quiet child!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

PS....... ROKON where about was this???? Don't remember anything on the other side of the road with a decent that steep. So just wondering if you could refresh my memory - while I still have the pains of every climb in my legs tonight!

PPS... cool...300 posts! Didn't know I have so much to say! An my mother said I was a quiet child!

http://goo.gl/maps/ZQkrq

http://app.strava.com/segments/2977175 (reverse - the climb part)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

ROK ON wrote: »

On the rebel tour last year we descended that, It's the fastest i've ever gone on a bike, 78.4 Kmh, decent road though and a good surface. I'ld say climbing it is definitely a granny gear situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

As to clockwise.... I wouldn't fancy those S-Bends coming up Healy Pass coming from Glengarriff!! They seem to go on forever!!!

I hear you, but looks can be deceiving. It's actually shorter, gentler, and a more constant gradient from the Cork side...

Cork (4.9km @ 4.5%): http://app.strava.com/segments/2339149
    Kerry (5.7km @ 4.7%): http://app.strava.com/segments/652106

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

we did kenmare - caha - glengariff -castletown -healy(north to south)-glengariff - caha - kenmare in april. 147k. smashing ride. definitely reckon you have to come down the switchbacks on healy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Any time I am cycling in the West Cork Beara Areas I seem to be the only cyclist out there. It is simply stunning surroundings; peaceful and breath-taking!

I have gone cycling around varying areas mid-week and week-end; morning and evening and not one cyclist have I encountered.

Not too long ago I was even the only one person walking around Allihees :eek: Not even a local wandering around. Amazing clear blue sky; just me and my lickle racer and not one other soul around. I simply sat on a wall eating a sandwich admiring the scenery. The tourists were simply just motoring on through. All the bars and restaurants all ready for the tourists; tables and chairs aplenty out, but no-one taking the time to stop.

Thoroughly enjoy cycling around West Cork Beara Areas and just wonder if you also find the area to be quite with cyclists.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement