Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Query

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its a great place-I love it here and we`ve been here 5 years now.

Plenty of great schools.
    Supermarkets.
    Direct train every few minutes in the morning to Dublin.
    Great restaurants.Great pubs etc.

What specifics are you looking for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is brilliant especially with kids.
    The town has nearly everything except a cinema and public swimming pool :-)
    Everything is within walking distance and there are trains and buses if you do need to. leave .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's a great town. Big enough to be busy but small enough to have a strong community. Various pubs, restaurants, shops (still no Penney's Moonbeam :) ). On any night you can have a choice of a quiet night out or a craic filled night out dancing depending on where you go and what you want.

If you've kids there's a selection of primary schools and a secondary with an excellent record.

For walking/running there's the canal, the college, Carton House. There is a pool in the Glenroyal Hotel but it's pay to play and not cheap. If you have a car there's nothing within a 20 min drive that you can't get in a city and even if you don't the busses/trains will get you there quick enough.

I'm living here 12 years now and can't see myself leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Agree with all of the above, a grand spot, I grew up about 5 miles outside Maynooth, moved into the town when I bought a house.

I like it, you have pretty much everything you need on the doorstep, train means I've never gotten the bus, except the odd night link. You can walk into the town in 10 minutes from most estates, which was really useful during the snow over the past few winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

I agree completely with all of the above posts and I think that I have lived here much longer, though not Maynooth born. It is a very fine place to live in and is the only town in Ireland with a University. It has 8,500 students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi Guys, Im going to hijack this thread if no one minds and ask what estates are good and what estates are to be avoided? I know that some of the estates closer to the motorway flooded a few years back too. So any info you may have as to a good estate for three kids 13 5 and 3 would be great. Many thanks and apologies OP for the Hijack.

All of the estates in Maynooth are grand to live in. The flooding problem was resolved through the expenditure of €13m by Kildare County Council. Maynooth is the only town in Ireland with a University and we have 4 great primary schools and a very good VEC second level school with Department of Education permission for a replacement for the existing school and also for another VEC second level school. Both of theses schools will be on the Moyglare Road.

Very good shops and excellent train and bus service to Dublin. Great GAA and Soccer club facilities.

Most estates are fine. I'd keep away from Old Greenfield personally. Silkenvale & Parklands are both ideally located for the train and shops/pubs as well as being nice estates with lots of kids in them.

Councillor: As for the secondary school(s) the campaign is getting larger and louder for the Minister to scrap this madness for two separate schools on the same site and have one campus with junior and senior cycle schools so your statement regarding that is not a given just yet. The Minister, last weekend, agreed to meet with the chairs of the PAs in Maynooth and surrounding areas about this.

The Department policy for 10 years was to have the second school on the south side. I agreed 100% with that policy and I stated so at the time. Having the second school on the Celbridge Road or Straffan Road made total sense.

However, this was changed in 2010 and the VEC bought 40 acres for a school campus on the Moyglare Road. The Department of Education also made it very clear from Day 1 that the suggestion of junior and senior cycle schools was a non runner and I would be very surprised if the Minister stated otherwise when he meets the PTA reps from the 10 schools.

The minister consistently says that parents should be involved in decisions on schools and the parents are 100% opposed to the current proposal so we'll see. If he digs his heels in it's going to get loud and nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The biggest + is that it is within easy reach of Celbridge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe Public wrote: »
    The biggest + is that it is within easy reach of Celbridge.

Mainly of use to ensure you can get food from the Delhi Darbar or expensive but high quality paint... not much else to have me there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

MYOB wrote: »
    Mainly of use to ensure you can get food from the Delhi Darbar or expensive but high quality paint... not much else to have me there ;)

Maybe a guided walk of the historic town? and then back to Maynooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

@ Councillor - have you identified yourself in any post on Boards? I did a quick search of your posts and cant find your name.

ORION. "The minister consistently says that parents should be involved in decisions on schools and the parents are 100% opposed to the current proposal so we'll see. If he digs his heels in it's going to get loud and nasty. "

The parents already voted for a second VEC operated school???????

We've gone way off topic here Councillor - I'll reply to this on this thread instead and we can continue the discussion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Don't forget the availability of Trouble Brewing and O Hara's on draught;)

The Mulk wrote: »
    Don't forget the availability of Trouble Brewing and O Hara's on draught;)

Where? I've been trying to get ONeills or Bradys to get in the O'Hara's range unsuccessfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Orion wrote: »
    Where? I've been trying to get ONeills or Bradys to get in the O'Hara's range unsuccessfully.

The Village Inn, Celbridge, see the post I quoted.

Just ring before hand if your deciding to make the trip, we got a flyer in the door recently about it.

Councillor wrote: »
    All of the estates in Maynooth are grand to live in. The flooding problem was resolved through the expenditure of €13m by Kildare County Council. Maynooth is the only town in Ireland with a University and we have 4 great primary schools and a very good VEC second level school with Department of Education permission for a replacement for the existing school and also for another VEC second level school. Both of theses schools will be on the Moyglare Road.

Very good shops and excellent train and bus service to Dublin. Great GAA and Soccer club facilities.

Thanks for the info... Is the new school set to open in sep 2014? I had read on the schools page that it was. Has this been delayed? Is there room in the secondary school? We have sent through the papers for the Educate together school but they are full :( here's hoping that some room comes up for the winks by then.

Thanks again. Looking strongly at parklands. I Know a guy who lives there actually, he runs a chipper in the village. But it always seems to be quiet enough when I'm in the area. They also seem to be well built houses and none on the main drag too which is a bonus.

• Advertisement

The Plan is to have the two schools (the replacement and the new one) opened in September 2014. With construction not due to start until next year it is difficult to see the target date being met. The existing post primary school is over capacity at present.

Parklands is a very fine estate with a good Residents' Association.

Regards,
    Cllr. John McGinley

If the secondary school is full where are the pupils that wont fit going to? thanks for the quick reply also.

Probably at the premises that the VEC has rented at Manor Mills.

Regards,

Cllr. John McGinley

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info... Is the new school set to open in sep 2014? I had read on the schools page that it was. Has this been delayed? Is there room in the secondary school? We have sent through the papers for the Educate together school but they are full :( here's hoping that some room comes up for the winks by then.

Thanks again. Looking strongly at parklands. I Know a guy who lives there actually, he runs a chipper in the village. But it always seems to be quiet enough when I'm in the area. They also seem to be well built houses and none on the main drag too which is a bonus.

To get a primary school place in "The Educate Together School" (30 places) or the Gaelscoil(60 places) you literally need to put the kids names down at birth.

It is a huge issue,2 new schools and neither can deal with the demand.

Parklands is a lovely estate as is Rockfield beside it.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    To get a primary school place in "The Educate Together School" (30 places) or the Gaelscoil(60 places) you literally need to put the kids names down at birth.

It is a huge issue,2 new schools and neither can deal with the demand.

Parklands is a lovely estate as is Rockfield beside it.

Wow, that sucks tbh, I was really hoping to get them into the ets. What are the other options for the primary other than ETS and gaoilscoil?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Catholic ethos boys school and a presentation convent girls. Which I believe has no nuns anymore

Catholic ethos boys school and a presentation convent girls. Which I believe has no nuns anymore

Thanks, is there no mixed sex school? I would prefer that they both went to the same school. :confused:

Only the ETNS and the Gaelscoil unfortunately. That would be one of the many reasons they're oversubscribed.

Advertisement