Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing tattoo styles

Options
  • 17-02-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on mixing tattoo styles.

What i mean is that i've got a half sleeve of polynesian tribal (with some script) and I really like japanese style. Was considering getting the sleeve finished with a koi, some specific flowers and some other bits (in full colour)

How do you think this would look with the existing Polynesian? I'm afraid it wont blend well together?

Was also thinking of having the central piece (on the left photo) done into an actual tiki mask with color etc. Do you think this is a tall ask?

All feedback welcomed! Including artist recommendations!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ClicheGuevara

I don't personally think it would look too good. Maybe if the japanese stuff was black and grey and someone could tie it in very well for you, but polynesian is so black and geometrical that it's really hard to picture it flowing well.

I think your polynesian stuff is nice though, why not leave it how it is and get japanese stuff on your other arm if it's not tattooed?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I don't personally think it would look too good. Maybe if the japanese stuff was black and grey and someone could tie it in very well for you, but polynesian is so black and geometrical that it's really hard to picture it flowing well.

I think your polynesian stuff is nice though, why not leave it how it is and get japanese stuff on your other arm if it's not tattooed?

Yea i've been thinking that myself. My other arm is completely tattoo free at the moment so could definitely consider doing that side!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

My left arm is a mix match of so many different styles. So the difference of styles doesn't bother me.

I'd look in to Phil Cummins if I were you. He's the one that automatically springs to mind when talking about tribal in Ireland, so he might be well capable of blending it together for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SmithG

I think tattoos should always be a personal thing so there are no set rules in my view - However I think with sleeve tattoos that sticking to the same main style/theme is a good idea and will deliver the best overall result. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

As already said, if you're changing styles, just make sure the artist blends everything in or it could look odd. You can't get a Japanese style (including Koi fish) onto a Polynesian, as the Jap tatts tend to be very colourful and it would stick out something fierce. (just my opinion, may not actually mean anything)

Then again, would a Koi fish look silly if done black & grey? I dunno. You need to talk to an artist I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I think tribal, Polynesian and Japanese are a style unto themselves whereas a non Japanese themed fish or bird or whatever can have any style regardless of the subject matter. In effect you would be trying to mix Polynesian with (probably) a vastly different subject matter which is also done in a vastly different style. Whereas getting another tattoo (such as a well done portrait or whatever) may not stick out as much or contrast as much.

I'd say that the part that would contrast the most would be the shading and artistic bits around the tattoo, such as water, clouds, whatever else which cab all be changed or done however you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I wouldn't be against mixing styles in general but I think polynesian style is too distinctive to mix with others, especially something like japanese. Not to say it couldn't be done but it'd a tough job to get it right.

If you get the tiki mask done then it might easier to blend it as you go down but even modifying that might badly affect the aesthetic of what's there (which is a good looking job)

Advertisement