Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential costs of setting up a successful website?

Options
  • 12-02-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've bought a couple of domains recently for an idea I've had about setting up a website, but now I'm just looking for some good advice about what route to take and what costs I may come by..

I'm a student so unfortunately I can't afford an incredible amount at the moment, the website would require quite a few pages capable of holding some videos, photographs, interviews etc. perhaps with the possibility of people signing up with a username or at least commenting using their Twitter/Facebook accounts..

I'm just wondering how much am I looking at for:

-Hosting
    -Website design
    -Website size
    -Logo
    -Advertising. Fliers and maybe posters etc..

It's just an idea I had and I decided to go with my gut feeling and go for it rather than not. My reasons for doing it are not based around trying to make money, although that would be nice, but just something I can put on my CV.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys may have..

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I'm just wondering how much am I looking at for:

-Hosting
    -Website design
    -Website size
    -Logo
    -Advertising. Fliers and maybe posters etc..

Any figures you receive will be fairly arbitrary, there is no standard cost for any of the above items, and pricing can vary widely.

Hosting - 100 quid
    Web design - 2500
    Website size - What is this?
    Logo - 5 euro to 5000 euro, but lets go with 100 euro.
    Advertising - How much does Advertising cost? I don't think I can answer that. Can you be more specific? 1 flier - 5 cent

Anyway, I'm going to presume you can't afford that. My tip would be to learn to code, or find some 3rd year computer science students in your college and see if you can get them to do it for beer. Same with graphic design students.

Alternatively make some calls. Plenty of web and design shops in dublin which will give you a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

KonFusion wrote: »
    Any figures you receive will be fairly arbitrary, there is no standard cost for any of the above items, and pricing can vary widely.

Hosting - 100 quid
    Web design - 2500
    Website size - What is this?
    Logo - 5 euro to 5000 euro, but lets go with 100 euro.
    Advertising - How much does Advertising cost? I don't think I can answer that. Can you be more specific? 1 flier - 5 cent

Anyway, I'm going to presume you can't afford that. My tip would be to learn to code, or find some 3rd year computer science students in your college and see if you can get them to do it for beer. Same with graphic design students.

Alternatively make some calls. Plenty of web and design shops in dublin which will give you a quote.

Sorry, the size of the website would fall under hosting costs I assume. My bad.

In regards to advertising I guess getting some fliers and posters designed and then placing them around colleges. Students in specific would be my target market.

The cost of the designing would be the main stumbling block, I could afford the rest comfortably. I can write some code myself, but that would be really basic stuff. I.E knowing how to write articles, links and photos etc.

I could always go down the asking students route.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 benny306

I think you should flesh out exactly what you want this website to accomplish (if you haven't already) and then look for similar competitors website to see what they've done.

In terms of functionality "the website would require quite a few pages capable of holding some videos, photographs, interviews etc. perhaps with the possibility of people signing up with a username or at least commenting using their Twitter/Facebook accounts.. "

Are these going to be user uploaded videos? Where will these videos be hosted as they require a decent chunk of bandwidth if you have a lot of videos hosted on your own site? Or would these videos be embedded from Youtube?

Wordpress can do almost anything once you get the hang of it. There are a lot of free themes and some really good paid themes. Might be able to accomplish what you need. Wordpress is the best low cost solution I've come across.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

benny306 wrote: »
    Wordpress can do almost anything once you get the hang of it.

:rolleyes: While Wordpress is an excellent solution in some circumstances, I don't think I'd go quite this far.

"I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument

• Registered Users Posts: 44 benny306

Point taken. But I stand by what I said, especially when considering a low/no budget solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement