Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new charter rule

Options
  • 12-02-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    We've had a few threads of late which follow the same pattern - person with no idea what's involved in a software project shows up, says they have a "great idea" and just need "some techie guy" for what they think should be a simple task (because "just write a facebook clone" is a simple task...)

23763.strip.gif

Anyway, I'm proposing to change the charter to just ban that entire pattern of threads. Anyone got any good counter-arguments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hrmm, I don't think you've researched this well enough, it's all well and good to propose a new charter rule, that's the easy part. You're looking at the cost of getting a moderator to actually spec up the new rule and enter it into the charter, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. You're really asking how long is a piece of string, I would do some research first.

€10k

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

While these questions can be a bit annoying, some contributors here have given valuable, patient, encouraging and realistic answers to these questions.
    Perhaps those answers could be compiled into a sticky and any subsequent questions in the same vein be referred to said sticky, thereby allowing the new Poster to come back at a later stage with more specific lines of enquiry if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I agree that an outrite charter ban would probably not be the best idea. I like boxmans approach.

It needs to be made clear to these people that it's all well and good saying that they want "The next donedeal" or "The next facebook", but it needs to be taken into account that these projects often require months of development from an entire team of people. People that probably require between three to eight thousand euro a month to live.

It does not require just a great idea to make a great project, it also requires experience and skill. This experience and skill does not come cheap, and it's unreasonable to expect someone to spend six months of their life working on a project for a couple of grand so YOU can make millions.

Don't get me wrong, you might find someone to agree to do it, but when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, and an inexperienced, half-arsed, budget development team will result in a badly written, half-arsed, budget final product.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not a fan of blanket bans on certain topics. What we could do is create some sort of informative superthread for those, ensure the OP gets the right information, and then have free rein at them with Dilbert, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of blanket bans on certain topics. What we could do is create some sort of informative superthread for those, ensure the OP gets the right information, and then have free rein at them with Dilbert, etc.
    The superthread is a good idea. It should also be a sticky. The biggest issue is that a lot of people don't really understand what it takes to run a large scale site technologically and financially. Many of the threads seem to be just tyre kicking and what can be worrying is that some of the advice that is offered might not be correct.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    The superthread is a good idea. It should also be a sticky. The biggest issue is that a lot of people don't really understand what it takes to run a large scale site technologically and financially.

The other problem is that there are 2 types of developers who contribute to that lack of understanding:

1) the inexperienced developer who underestimates resources and doesn't get quality; and
    2) the experienced developer, who can do incredible things with limited resources.

Both exacerbate the issue, although the experienced developer hopefully a little less so.

/ninja

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

+1 for the superthread idea, something like over in Design.

As for the quality of the information they receive or the advice offered, I don't see how that can be controlled. The OP should have enough sense to take any advice with a grain of salt & investigate any and all advice further.

Perhaps a mod note in the first thread with a caveat to say such.

Trojan wrote: »
    The other problem is that there are 2 types of developers who contribute to that lack of understanding:

1) the inexperienced developer who underestimates resources and doesn't get quality; and
    2) the experienced developer, who can do incredible things with limited resources.

Both exacerbate the issue, although the experienced developer hopefully a little less so.

/ninja
    It might be a good thing to include links to hardware sites so that people can understand the costs of buying your own servers/hardware. (It might scare the crap out of some people though. :) ) Most of the suggestions on how to develop large scale sites tend to concentrate on renting dedicated servers but this might only work for medium scale sites. Many inexperienced (and sometimes experienced) developers can underestimate resources and they may be extrapolating from a limited brochureware site to something of the complexity of Boards.ie or Facebook.com. The other aspect is that hardware has to be maintained and continually upgraded and this tends to get lost in the tyre kicking. There's a very good thread on Webmasterworld.com from the guy who built Plentyoffish.com that might be worth linking to in the superthread. It is a bit old but it is definitely interesting reading for those thinking of setting up large sites.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The sticky thread would be a little like a Dragons Den thread...

Might be worth posting some sample/average contract rates for developers at the top to educate them too, eg. web/J2EE developers = €400 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The techie in me says "hell yes. Ban them all."

The Admin in me says it is kinda unfair and will lead to a few very disgruntled posters. We know a lot of people, especially non-regulars, will not read the charter in-depth. So I think a compromise is in order.

+1 to Superthread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    We know a lot of people, especially non-regulars, will not read the charter in-depth. So I think a compromise is in order.
    Smacks of solving the wrong problem to me y'know :)

Still, a good counterargument is a good counterargument...
    +1 to Superthread.
    The +1's have it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think the Title of The Superthread should be:

"So you've had a great idea for an App/Website"

The first post should read:

"That's fantastic, come back here in a couple of months and post about it when you've done your initial research."

;)

Beats my original working title which was ... more succinct.

But I couldn't figure out how to get "Hey ****head, read this before you ask us to do work for free" past the boards.ie swearfilters....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If we ban "great idea" and "do my homework" threads all we would have left are threads that really belong in web design anyway :p

And threads about salary, accreditations, unconferences, pub standards meetings... you know, the actual important stuff for developer's professional lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Graham wrote: »
    The first post should read:

"That's fantastic, come back here in a couple of months and post about it when you've done your initial research."

;)

I was thinking more along the lines of "Congratulations on having the same great idea somebody else has most probably executed successfully. You've taken the first exciting step towards crushing defeat"

I think these threads do point people in the right direction with valuable/common sense advice. The guy on here yesterday got good information on how he wildly undervalued the cost of his project and how his idea lacked the basic amount of research needed to even take it to a potential investor. A sticky with example projects and costs may not be a bad idea though.

billyduk wrote: »
    example projects and costs may not be a bad idea though.

Easy....

FacebooxNext
    • 1 x virtual cloudbased thingameebob (with a database).
    • Wordpress
    • Wordpress template
    • Technical co-founder to write the codey bits according to my undocumented but exacting specification.
    • Graphic designer to pretty it up.
    • Mobile App for iPhone/Andriod/Blackberry/Palm Treo to be developed in phase 2.

2 days max, job done. €300 should cover it according to a mate who did the local GAA website.

Would prefer someone who will invest their time in this outstanding opportunity in return for a tiny minority shareholding some time in the future.

Graham wrote: »
    Easy....

FacebooxNext
    • 1 x virtual cloudbased thingameebob (with a database).
    • Wordpress
    • Wordpress template
    • Technical co-founder to write the codey bits according to my undocumented but exacting specification.
    • Graphic designer to pretty it up.
    • Mobile App for iPhone/Andriod/Blackberry/Palm Treo to be developed in phase 2.

2 days max, job done. €300 should cover it according to a mate who did the local GAA website.

Would prefer someone who will invest their time in this outstanding opportunity in return for a tiny minority shareholding some time in the future.

"€300? Sounds a little excessive. Lets not use the thread as an opportunity to over-quote people..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

billyduk wrote: »
    A sticky with example projects and costs may not be a bad idea though.

Have a look at the going rates for contracted developers with at least 5 years experience, have a look at some of the Amazon examples of running a couple of EC2 instances in the cloud, check the hourly rate of graphics designers and lawyers and and and and...

Take a look at the Engineering blogs for Facebook and Netflix and the amount of work that goes into infrastructure, development and getting everything to talk together fast.

Facebook.com is one front facing URL for a massive behind the scenes setup that's probably 100s of servers and TB of bandwidth.

That's the problem, even a sticky isn't going to be a howto for people who *just* need a developer for their next Evernote/Facebook/Twitter/Netflix. I have worked on some pretty interesting small/medium projects that I think would scale well (and others that would implode) and I don't think I or anyone else is going to compile examples for you or anyone else.

Perhaps one of the opening questions should be:
    "Have you recently watched 'The Social Network'?"

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

even a sticky isn't going to be a howto for people who *just* need a developer for their next Evernote/Facebook/Twitter/Netflix.

I dont think it should aim to be a how-to, more of a reality check for someone with no experience. Something to counterbalance the 'I can do that in 2 days with Joomla and a box of paperclips' brigade.

Have a look at the going rates for contracted developers with at least 5 years experience, have a look at some of the Amazon examples of running a couple of EC2 instances in the cloud, check the hourly rate of graphics designers and lawyers and and and and...

Take a look at the Engineering blogs for Facebook and Netflix and the amount of work that goes into infrastructure, development and getting everything to talk together fast.

Facebook.com is one front facing URL for a massive behind the scenes setup that's probably 100s of servers and TB of bandwidth.

That's the problem, even a sticky isn't going to be a howto for people who *just* need a developer for their next Evernote/Facebook/Twitter/Netflix. I have worked on some pretty interesting small/medium projects that I think would scale well (and others that would implode) and I don't think I or anyone else is going to compile examples for you or anyone else.

Haha! I wasn't asking for a quote buddy! Nor was i suggesting that people should receive quotes on here. That would be ridiculous without a detailed analysis of the project. Maybe the sarcasm in my last post wasn't as obvious as I had hoped... I know the going rate for developers of varying experience, designers of varying experience, account managers, slaes managers, accountants, solicitors fees. My point was that people outside the industry don't. Why not provide info that will help them understand so that threads aren't created without the poster understanding the minimum cost for a tiny project.

I was suggesting that a sticky be made giving hypothetical simple projects a ballpark quote (Not an unreasonable suggestion. I give people quotes based on simple web projects every day). This would give people a very rough idea of the development costs involved in a simple project. People like the student yesterday should, if they have researched their project clearly and understand the labour and infrastructure costs to get it to beta, understand that a budget of €1k wouldn't even take a chip off the cost to build an evernote like application, never mind run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

€20,000,000

(Am I doing it right? :P)

€20,000,000

Far too specific.

€15-45k ballpark.

€20,000,000

Is that for local GAA club site? I give up. An man hours/cost example is obviously a stretch for some. Multiple repeated "idea" threads and subsequent ridicule it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I also like the approach Boxman said; a superthread would be more beneficial than a ban.

Ideally the first post on the superthread would have some basic guidelines, or a template that a would-be founder should have to adhere to:
    'I have this many years experience in this area'
    'I have interviewed X potential customers'
    'I have got Y euro capital'
    'I have wrote N pages of design doc' etc.

Separately, I'd also like to see a 'What should I start off by learning / What/where should I do in college' sticky superthread...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sparks wrote: »
    Beats my original working title which was ... more succinct.

But I couldn't figure out how to get "Hey ****head, read this before you ask us to do work for free" past the boards.ie swearfilters....
    Something to bypass the boards swear filters?

Hmmm, that gives me an idea for an app...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'd be happy if people just stopped doing others educational work for them.

It hurts everyone involved, the poster and the people responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Giblet wrote: »
    Hrmm, I don't think you've researched this well enough, it's all well and good to propose a new charter rule, that's the easy part. You're looking at the cost of getting a moderator to actually spec up the new rule and enter it into the charter, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. You're really asking how long is a piece of string, I would do some research first.

€10k

:P

I think we should host Giblet's idea in the cloud, thus reducing our need to plan for any scaling of his opinion.

+1 for super thread with a possibility of redirecting threads over to Entrepreneurial & Business Management if they're more about budgeting, market research etc.

• Advertisement

+1 for superthread

Evil Phil wrote: »
    +1 for super thread with a possibility of redirecting threads over to Entrepreneurial & Business Management if they're more about budgeting, market research etc.

-1 if that means Entrepreneurial & Business Management is going to get even more 'I have a great idea for a business' threads.:mad:

Advertisement