Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

As so many of my fellow DCM 2012 Graduates have emigrated to their own training log, I decided to finally start my own. Here's the story so far (copy and paste from graduates thread :cool: )

35 yr old male that realised my premiership dreams would not be fulfilled about 3 years ago. Started winding down soccer "career" and doing a small bit of running. Nothing structured just 3 or 4 miles every couple of weeks. 3 yrs ago I did a 40 min 10k and then did ballybunion half in 1.40 with f€ck all training and could barely walk after it due to severe case of itbs. No matter what I did afterwards I couldn't go over 4 miles without being in agony.

Sooo I invested in a road bike and became across between Sean Kelly, Stephen roche and a drunk cycling home on a Saturday night. I really got into the cycling and did a few 150k+ sportives between 2010 and 2011.

I went for a 4 mile run on Stephens day last year (2011) and despite almost having a heart attack (I was shocked at how wrecked I was during it) , my knees seemed perfect. I decided to gradually up the mileage whilst still cycling and was itbs free!!
    Two of my buddies were doing the Waterford marathon so in early march I decided to loosely follow a programme and ended up doing my first marathon in 3.26.

After that I was well and truley hooked.

I've since ran an 85 minute half, 27.xx minute 5 mile, 63.xx 10 mile and a 3.09 dcm smile.png

My target this year is to run a sub 3 hour marathon which I think with the right training is well within my reach.

The idea behind this log is to ensure my training for sub 3 assault no.1 in Limerick is consistant and thorough.

Any advice from the Kenyans on here over the next few months will be very welcome!

PS I'm not a mileage junkie like some of the others from the dcm2012 thread so I'm hoping for a relatively low mileage sub 3!!

oh and mornings are for sleeping and breakfast ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with your log, sub3 no bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with your log, sub3 no bother to you.

Cheers tang, you get the prize for being the first to post on the log.....

A half full bottle of lucozade sport will be heading your way (lime flavour)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

what program are you following now ? Similar goal myself. When was the 10 mile time set ?

rom wrote: »
    what program are you following now ? Similar goal myself. When was the 10 mile time set ?

Ten mile was dungarvan last week. Had planned on Tackling 60 mins but a free bar on Friday night/Saturday morning put an end to that!!

I'm following the Hal Higdon advanced 2. But due to kids and football coaching i'm going switch the pre lsr run to mid week. He has a few 8-10 miles day before lsr, i wouldn't have the time for it.

I've concentrated on pace the last few weeks hence the 27mim 5 mile.

Joining the programme on week 5.

What marathons are you planning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Seems to be some natural talent you have there! Great times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Welcome to log land :D

6 cold, wet and windy miles done @ 7.18 mpm.

Have my bike set up on the turbo trainer so i'll get 45 minutes on that later on whilst the main tv is polluted by greys anatomy ;) thank god for sky multiroom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Pot luck I came across this!! I almost missed it! Good luck with the sub3 marathon quest. Few weeks consistant training and you will only need the one attempt i'd say.

I look forward to crossing paths many times in the future!:cool:

blockic wrote: »
    Pot luck I came across this!! I almost missed it! Good luck with the sub3 marathon quest. Few weeks consistant training and you will only need the one attempt i'd say.

I look forward to crossing paths many times in the future!:cool:

I might demand that you are given a handicap in future races due to the generation gap ;)

What's the next race on your list?

Gavlor wrote: »
    I might demand that you are given a handicap in future races due to the generation gap ;)

What's the next race on your list?

Looking like Bohermeen on 3rd March with the 1:24 mark in mind. Was tempted to squeeze in a 10k in Feb to get the PB in that but can't fit it in with the long runs on the weekends. First 20 miler this week.

What about yourself? Whats the plan race wise before Limerick...

• Advertisement

Looking like Bohermeen on 3rd March with the 1:24 mark in mind. Was tempted to squeeze in a 10k in Feb to get the PB in that but can't fit it in with the long runs on the weekends. First 20 miler this week.

What about yourself? Whats the plan race wise before Limerick...

Celtic link 10k in duncannon is in a purple of weeks so I'll target 34 minutes for that one. Must actually sit down and pick a half. Mount Juliet doesn't suit me and Meath is a bit far...

Forecast is decent for weekend so it should help the 20 miler...

Some targets for me to aim for over the next 12 months:

800m current pb 187seconds -

Target: 150 seconds (just cos it's in the 10 round numbers thread!)

5k no current pb-

Target: 17.50

5 mile current pb 27.xx

Target 26.59

10k current pb 39 minutes (I think!)-

Target 34.30

10 mile pb 63.xx-

Target 59.xx

Half marathon pb 85.xx-

Target 79.xx

Marathon pb 3.09-

Target 2.59

Ultra no current pb

Target: to maintain my "no current pb"!!!

*edit- I know there's a big difference between 5 miles & 10k but tbh the 5 miler is a pipe dream and prob bottom of my priorities this year

Wednesday 6th Feb

Decided to run the 8 miles in intervals, really enjoyed it.

I've struggled a bit in some runs lately due to a dodgy enough stomach. I have a habit of eating dinner at lunch time, picking away at food during the afternoon and then go for a run with my stomach imitating a washing machine.

So today I had a big breakfast, just a roll for lunch and tried to keep away from biscuits n bananas during afternoon. Cooked dinner for the kids and left mine alone till after my run. Not eating dinner earlier made a huge difference..... The only wind affecting me this evening was the gale blowing into my face :)

Anyway, 8 miles done @ 6.44 mpm

Splits:

Mile 1: 7.23
    Mile 2: 6.03
    Mile 3: 7.10
    Mile 4: 6.17
    Mile 5: 7.24
    Mile 6: 6.07
    Mile 7: 6.42
    Mile 8: 7.16

*edit: average hr 151 bpm

Nice work with the intervals. Do you do any easy/recovery runs? Or is 7.20 your recovery pace?! :eek:

Nice work with the intervals. Do you do any easy/recovery runs? Or is 7.20 your recovery pace?! :eek:

Haha... Just getting my body used to thinking that 7.20 is 'easy'!! To be honest I'm not a big fan of intervals in the true sense, I don't like speeding up then slowing right down!!

Doing 11 miles with a friend tomorrow eve and he'll look to keep it around 7.45 mpm.... That can be my recovery!!

Haha... Just getting my body used to thinking that 7.20 is 'easy'!

You're a mad hatter you! You got a training plan for Limerick or you just going with the flow and get your sub3 on 5 miles a week? :);)

If only we all had it that easy!!

You're a mad hatter you! You got a training plan for Limerick or you just going with the flow and get your sub3 on 5 miles a week? :);)

If only we all had it that easy!!

Harsh!! I'm already over 14 miles this week!

I'm loosely going to followthe Hal Higdon advanced 2. It'll give me the structure but I'll play around with the 800m reps and hill runs. I also can't really run on Saturdays due to kids football training and dads taxi service etc!

Haha,knew you'd like that one!:D

HH will be ideal. All you need is the rough structure anyway.

Haha,knew you'd like that one!:D

HH will be ideal. All you need is the rough structure anyway.

I'm banking on quality and not quantity!

How is the body reacting to the high miles in the p&d

I'm banking on quality and not quantity!

How is the body reacting to the high miles in the p&d

So far so good with it really, It was not too big a jump in terms of mileage from meno's plan when I started so I got used to it fairly fast. You'd be in trouble if you jumped into it with no base i suspect.

I am finding the midweek runs tough going in terms of time commitment and I badly need the rest days when they come around!! Like you, I used to be a low mileage, evening runner..and loved it!!:D But If I'm going to progress I need to put in the miles!!

• Advertisement

Thursday 7th feb

9.4 miles @ 8.14 mpm heart rate 136mpm

Nothing much to report here. This was always going to be a handy pace as I had arranged to run with a friend of mine who's steady pace is about 8ish.

Man it was windy out there, first 4 miles the wind was right in our face.... Advantage to that was the wind was pushing is along for the last few miles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck with the log Gavlor, you crazy speed machine!

You are a man after my own heart with mornings being for sleeping and brekkie, I think I'm out at the crack of dawn if I'm hitting the pavement at 10am! I'm the same with the food, I tend to eat too much and then wonder why I feel sick as a dog on my runs! Making an effort to eat a bit lighter which I reckon is good training with regards running the body on empty.

So what sort of mileage are you aiming for per week?

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log Gavlor, you crazy speed machine!

You are a man after my own heart with mornings being for sleeping and brekkie, I think I'm out at the crack of dawn if I'm hitting the pavement at 10am! I'm the same with the food, I tend to eat too much and then wonder why I feel sick as a dog on my runs! Making an effort to eat a bit lighter which I reckon is good training with regards running the body on empty.

So what sort of mileage are you aiming for per week?

If we researched the eating thing it's prob got more to do with eating right as opposed to eating often.... Biscuits, crisps, biscuits with crisps and a bit of fruit thrown in for good measure. Bliss!

Despite what blockic (aka T2) thinks, I'll be increase the mileage over the coming weeks. That said, it'll averse out around 30 per week. None of this 50mile nonsense!

30 miles! That sounds like heaven! I think it helps that you're obviously a fast fecker though, us slowpokes gotta put in the miles :)

Biscuits, crisps and fruit... Yep pretty much sounds like my staple diet........ Except for the fruit ;)

ncmc wrote: »
    30 miles! That sounds like heaven! I think it helps that you're obviously a fast fecker though, us slowpokes gotta put in the miles :)

Biscuits, crisps and fruit... Yep pretty much sounds like my staple diet........ Except for the fruit ;)

When's your next marathon??

When I say average 30, my 20+lsr weeks will prob be close to 50... Only 2 or 3 though!

Would be interesting to see if a 3.00 marathon is achievable with 300 miles

Maybe next time :)

Despite what blockic (aka T2) thinks, I'll be increase the mileage over the coming weeks. That said, it'll averse out around 30 per week. None of this 50mile nonsense!

Haha, was just going to mention that this is your highest mileage week in a long time!! :D And I'm not that bad either! I will only be doing three or four 50 mile weeks for the marathon. Less is more!:cool:

When's your next marathon??

When I say average 30, my 20+lsr weeks will prob be close to 50... Only 2 or 3 though!

Would be interesting to see if a 3.00 marathon is achievable with 300 miles

Maybe next time :)

I'm aiming for Cork in June. Hoping for 3:30, but at this stage I'd say it's a bit if a stretch, but sure there's 4 months til then so you never know.

I've no doubt you'll do sub 3 in Limerick, whether you do 309 or 500 miles in training!

Sun 10th FEB 13.1 miles @ 7.51 mpm hr 134 bpm

13.1 miles (Waterford hm course) with my running mate. Pace was a bit too comfortable but it was nice to start upping the mileage.

Sun 10th FEB 13.1 miles @ 7.51 mpm hr 134 bpm

13.1 miles (Waterford hm course) with my running mate. Pace was a bit too comfortable but it was nice to start upping the mileage.
    Serious mileage for you this week! You feeling ok? :P On a serious note great going! :cool:

• Advertisement

Serious mileage for you this week! You feeling ok? :P On a serious note great going! :cool:

I just wanted to fit in with all ye freaks ;)

Happy with the running but Ireland lost and everton are losing so it's a bad day all round

Advertisement