Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ferries and Stena Line 20% Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks for this, was looking into booking a trip for the parents. For Stena Line, is the 20% included from the start, or at the end. Looking at €320 for 2 with car (belfast-cairnryan) so extra off would be great.

Just saw doesn't include that route. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Thanks just what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Mushy wrote: »
    Thanks for this, was looking into booking a trip for the parents. For Stena Line, is the 20% included from the start, or at the end. Looking at €320 for 2 with car (belfast-cairnryan) so extra off would be great.

Just saw doesn't include that route. Oh well!

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong until I realised the Belfast – Cairnryan route wasn’t included. If you or your parents are Super Valu customers and collect the getaway points, 50 points gives you 10% off and it includes the Belfast – Cairnryan route

https://supervalu.ie/real-rewards/getaway-breaks/save-10-with-stena-line-ferries/

Saved me €55 recently on a premium fare for car plus 4 passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks this is a bit of a farce, for a van booking anyway. I travel to the UK pretty regularly with my business and the price for a van has been pretty much consistent for the last year or so. Now for bookings from February, the price has jumped and is a whopping 0.80c cheaper compared to the regular price when you use the coupon. I'm guessing it will go back to the regular price after the offer period. It's even worse too as if I'm using this offer code to get a price 0.80c cheaper than usual, the trip won't qualify for the frequent traveler scheme.

I'm probably better off waiting til Feb 1st to make a booking and hope it doesn't stay at the new higher pre code rate for good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

cormie wrote: »
    Folks this is a bit of a farce, for a van booking anyway. I travel to the UK pretty regularly with my business and the price for a van has been pretty much consistent for the last year or so. Now for bookings from February, the price has jumped and is a whopping 0.80c cheaper compared to the regular price when you use the coupon. I'm guessing it will go back to the regular price after the offer period. It's even worse too as if I'm using this offer code to get a price 0.80c cheaper than usual, the trip won't qualify for the frequent traveler scheme.

I'm probably better off waiting til Feb 1st to make a booking and hope it doesn't stay at the new higher pre code rate for good...

I've been checking this for campervans for July, and the price has been the same for at least 4 months. The same trip in July 2012 cost me EUR 435 with a 10% off code - booked in about April 2012. This was with Stena Line.

I would guess that the reason why the price has jumped for you for February is because it is now so close to sailing date. You might be best to just book flexi ticket with Stena. If it is cheaper you can cancel with full refund and then rebook.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm referring to Irish Ferries, not Stena, Irish Ferries has always been cheaper for the van and the price has always been the same whether I book 2 months or 2 days in advance. I'm suspecting the regular prices will come back after Jan 31st once the offer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

Thanks for the tip... had to ring up but got the 20% discount on Stena!

Ok, just checked the price again and it seems to now be a much better deal. The price for a van on a return trip has risen €9 each way only, which means making a booking without the voucher is costing €18 more, but with the voucher, is €53.60 cheaper, so a lot more than 80c, but in my case, I think I'd still be better off waiting and hoping the price goes back down €18 and just booking regularly to get my 20% and qualify for frequent traveller discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

does it work with the tesco clubcard deals voucher, probably not

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    does it work with the tesco clubcard deals voucher, probably not

Doubt it. I would stay well away from Tesco deals for ferries. At the very least they add EUR 40 over regular fairs plus deny you the chance to use a discount code and all the while wasting good vouchers. Complete sham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Linoge wrote: »
    Doubt it. I would stay well away from Tesco deals for ferries. At the very least they add EUR 40 over regular fairs plus deny you the chance to use a discount code and all the while wasting good vouchers. Complete sham.

depends how you look at it, although I will have to use the flexi fare and there is a €15 charge (which also can be paid in tesco vouchers) I will have to pay €140 for a trip I have planned later in the year compared to €310 on the economy fare or €248 with the 20% discount, I havent priced with the discount online yet but I dont believe it will be a 'true' discount because they probably raised their prices a bit recently to give the impression of a great deal.

I could pay my electricty bill with bord gais and it convert to €112.50 off it.

or just use them of my shopping which would only give me €55 approx. I wouldnt be interested in using them for any of the other clubcard deals so although I'm being screwed with the extra charges using the tesco vouchers its probably the best use of them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish Ferries also have 10% off Ireland-France bookings until Feb 7th - code is "FRANCEC13"

Tesco vouchers can indeed be good and no, you won't be able to use tesco vouchers to buy the 20% discounted sailing.

Again, for the van, Irish Ferries have a €20 fare increase EACH WAY, but considering you'd pay this €40 with €10 worth of tokens, I guess it's not so bad if the total price is €380, then it's costing you <€100 in tesco vouchers compared to the usual price of €340, so a €240 saving.

I guess the vouchers are worth it then if you have a lot. For plebs like me, if you get EUR 12 worth of vouchers, this is more than wiped out by the increased cost!

When you have about €40 worth of tesco vouchers it starts to make it worth while. On a crossing costing €400 you need €10 to cover the increased cost, €20 to cover what you would have saved with a 20% discount and then €7.50 just to cover the vouchers that have just been wasted (that could have been spent in Tesco). Even then, although you are saving more money technically, you are missing out on spending those vouchers on other deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

good deals at the moment, managed to get a car with two kids, cabins for €460 return to france....

in early june

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Linoge wrote: »
    I guess the vouchers are worth it then if you have a lot. For plebs like me, if you get EUR 12 worth of vouchers, this is more than wiped out by the increased cost!

When you have about €40 worth of tesco vouchers it starts to make it worth while. On a crossing costing €400 you need €10 to cover the increased cost, €20 to cover what you would have saved with a 20% discount and then €7.50 just to cover the vouchers that have just been wasted (that could have been spent in Tesco). Even then, although you are saving more money technically, you are missing out on spending those vouchers on other deals.

there's also an admin fee for using the vouchers - you need to have a lot of them for it to be worthwhile.

The admin fee is the extra price you pay over the usual fair so for example, without the tescoie code, you might pay 170 single, with it you pay 190.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

The admin fee is the extra price you pay over the usual fair so for example, without the tescoie code, you might pay 170 single, with it you pay 190.
    Way to go Tesco :mad:

I don't think it's anything to do with Tesco, but more Irishferries. It's still a pretty good deal if you have the vouchers and need to take a high cost ferry trip.

Advertisement