Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revised (Worse) Nitelink Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

looking at the 29n I think it's better as it used to befrom 12.30 then every hour, I think it's better at 12, 1 etc.. I've often having to wait until 12.30 to get the 29n

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Revised 69N at 00:00,02:00 and 04:00 is terrible,2 hour gap at the hour most people start heading home.

Midnight departure makes little sense and can't see it being used much since the last regular 69's and 13's depart town is at 23:20 or so as it is.

Better served running it at 1.30,3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that won't happen as it doesn't leave enough time for the bus to run out and back in for the next service, the 2 hour gap does so they need less buses and less drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

that won't happen as it doesn't leave enough time for the bus to run out and back in for the next service, the 2 hour gap does so they need less buses and less drivers.

Nail on head :(

I would far prefer if the Company simply fessed-up to the actual reasoning beind these "adjustments".

It's the country in microcosm,no ability to provide services due to no funding.

Perhaps appealing to the Busdrivers to work a night for nothing,the fuel companies to supply a nights fuel and oil for nothing,the tyre company to supply a free nights rubber (:eek:),and perhaps the State to supply an extra day's road tax for nowt might work ?

I suspect however,that the only hope of a sustainable NightBus service lies with a 24 Hour Full Service on Trunk Routes.

Perhaps it's worth an Online Poll (Feel Free,Mods) to get a sense of how much demand would be there for such a wildly innovative service on,say,the 16 route ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Alek is right.

A 24 hour service on ultra-core routes would offer the best prospect of a sustainable service.

Perhaps:

7*, 13*, 14, 16, 27*, 32, 39, 46A, 66, 140

* sticking to main road at places where they usually go into estates.

Hourly or half hourly?

C635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

66n @ 12, 1, 2, 3, 4

I can't see the midnight service being used all that much, but it may get some people from the "last 66" time. It used to be every half an hour, but there has been less people on it, so this was inevitable, I suppose. 4 o'clock will be fun to see, though, as it'll be getting anybody who has been at a nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the_syco wrote: »
    66n @ 12, 1, 2, 3, 4

I can't see the midnight service being used all that much, but it may get some people from the "last 66" time. It used to be every half an hour, but there has been less people on it, so this was inevitable, I suppose. 4 o'clock will be fun to see, though, as it'll be getting anybody who has been at a nightclub.

That 666n should really run out to Maynooth as the 67n is not frequent enough for such a large town.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If I hadn't seen this thread I could have been in for a long wait on Friday night!

The only bus I ever get is the Nitelink so any advertising for these changes seems to have passed me by. I only found out about the price increase to 5.70 on Friday night when I was on the bus!

It's quite a curtailment in services as not that long ago the Nitelink used to run every 20mins, then every half hour, and now every hour. I'm specifically talking about the 7N here as that's the one I get.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Get the Leap Card, you'll still pay 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

foggy_lad wrote: »

That 666n should really run out to Maynooth as the 67n is not frequent enough for such a large town.

I think people might have a fear of getting on that bus?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thomasj wrote: »
    I think people might have a fear of getting on that bus?! :D
    only if you let it slip that you were going to Maynooth:D

walked the extra few miles many a night, two steps forward and three steps back:D

Conway635 wrote: »
    Alek is right.

A 24 hour service on ultra-core routes would offer the best prospect of a sustainable service.

Perhaps:

7*, 13*, 14, 16, 27*, 32, 39, 46A, 66, 140

* sticking to main road at places where they usually go into estates.

Hourly or half hourly?

C635

A good spread of routes there Conway635.

I would suggest hourly in both directions Mon-Thursday,with the usual Nitelink Service superimposed (at a €4 fare) on Fri & Sat.

I would suggest that the Nitelink would continue to operate unidirectionally to maximize the City Evacuation principle,although I contend that,in time,a normal stage-carriage service would actually increase usership across the routes.

However,it's highly unlikely that Dublin Bus will pursue this suggestion unless the NTA take it up and "suggest" its desirability ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A good spread of routes there Conway635.

I would suggest hourly in both directions Mon-Thursday,with the usual Nitelink Service superimposed (at a €4 fare) on Fri & Sat.

I would suggest that the Nitelink would continue to operate unidirectionally to maximize the City Evacuation principle,although I contend that,in time,a normal stage-carriage service would actually increase usership across the routes.

However,it's highly unlikely that Dublin Bus will pursue this suggestion unless the NTA take it up and "suggest" its desirability ;)

Not much point in running these busses if they're not going to stop. (46a every night after 10pm anywhere near UCD. :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Related, but slightly OT, but why dont the Dart and Luases run at night. Surely they'd be easier to run at night than buses. Large volume, easier to secure etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Has it gone up to 5.70? Someone forgot to tell the shopkeeper in town cause I still only pay a fiver :L

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MarkMc wrote: »
    Related, but slightly OT, but why dont the Dart and Luases run at night. Surely they'd be easier to run at night than buses. Large volume, easier to secure etc.

More expensive to run.

Even in London, the tube shuts down at night, but is replaced by at least an hourly bus service.

However the Dart should run till at least 12:30. It is embarrassing being in Gdansk/Gydnia in Poland and seeing their rickety equivalent of the DART running all night long, with no security needed on board and night clubs open all night!

The tube mainly shuts down at night for maintanence though, not on cost grounds afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Suppose I'll just have to get the 25N and walk from Ronanstown to Newlands if I want to head home between 2 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Are Dublin bus still dedicated to these so-called "super routes"? As they face competition for these important routes is there scope for the contracts for these routes to be 24 hours a day or do they have too much to lose from getting rid of the nitelink service?

bk wrote: »
    More expensive to run.

Even in London, the tube shuts down at night, but is replaced by at least an hourly bus service.

However the Dart should run till at least 12:30. It is embarrassing being in Gdansk/Gydnia in Poland and seeing their rickety equivalent of the DART running all night long, with no security needed on board and night clubs open all night!

It kinda sez it all,when we see many of the STT Rail Security staff are from Poland and earn a crust attempting to control,what is little more than,a crowd of savages.

Island of Saints and Scholars,to which now can be added Scrotes !!!

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    Are Dublin bus still dedicated to these so-called "super routes"? As they face competition for these important routes is there scope for the contracts for these routes to be 24 hours a day or do they have too much to lose from getting rid of the nitelink service?

There is of course "scope" for 24 hour services on these routes,and has been for some years now,if only a little vision and enthusiasm had been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

When it says it operates friday, does that mean very early Friday morning, as in thurs night, or Friday night, as in sat morning?

When it says it operates friday, does that mean very early Friday morning, as in thurs night, or Friday night, as in sat morning?

Friday and Saturday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

MarkMc wrote: »

Friday and Saturday nights
    Thanks!

Advertisement