Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former World's Strongest Man to Play Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ssaye wrote: »
    Jaysus, can you imagine lining out against him on a Sunday morning?

It just doesn't seem very fair... I'd imagine at that level you could stick him at loosehead and his strength alone, without technique, would basically win you the game based on scrum penalties! The team would actually enjoy knocking the ball on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ssaye wrote: »

He is also a former MMA fighter, a sandan karateka an amateur boxer and has played amateur rugby in Poland for a number of years.

Its not his rugby debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

He is also a former MMA fighter, a sandan karateka an amateur boxer

He also eats children

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Stick him on the wing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hmmm Amman is where Shane Williams grew up and played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

Here in England he would be told he is not big enough to play prop and needs to bulk up! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I know there's snow forecasted for London this weekend. -2 today. Hopefully we can get a decent mild day for the game so theres not so many cold hands out there. All these little factors can make the task even harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd play him either in the centre or at number 8 personally. Depends on what kind of wheels he has on him, but if it takes two or three fellas to take him down then he'd be good at opening up space out wide! Definitely want him running at people though, and I wouldn't want a few broken necks / deaths on my concious if he played front row!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Him at 1 and Carlin Isles at 11.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why are people saying play him as a prop, ffs, he's the whole front row.

Saying that, he looks very like a lady I met in Coppers many years ago........................

Joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Clareman wrote: »
    Why are people saying play him as a prop, ffs, he's the whole front row.

You may well be right! 00:17 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jesus christ... he would literally bulldoze a man to the floor, i'd say one of his legs weighs as much as the average scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Haha, feck sled training, now truck training will be the big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

He wont be passing any drugs tests thats for sure:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Penny would love to him outside the winger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He could make a decent scrum half. None of that passing nonsense, just pick from the base of the scrum and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

As a strongman fan, the guy is a beast!!!! However he is also a 35 year old beast whos body has had many years of abuse so as such I doubt there is anything more to this story then him just trying a sport he likes the look of.

That said between himself and Carlin Isles we could could see the foundations of a very 'unique' rugby team

He wont be passing any drugs tests thats for sure:eek:

Truthfully given his stint in boxing and MMA he would probably pass any test you could put in front of him these days

He's been rugby for years I thought? Given that there's been no reports of fatalities in matches he's played in I don't think he's as good as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

He could make a decent scrum half. None of that passing nonsense, just pick from the base of the scrum and run.

Exactly. Tell him to resemble something like a scared hedgehog and run!

As a strongman fan, the guy is a beast!!!! However he is also a 35 year old beast whos body has had many years of abuse so as such I doubt there is anything more to this story then him just trying a sport he likes the look of.

That said between himself and Carlin Isles we could could see the foundations of a very 'unique' rugby team

It would be a very unique team, another Strongman Terry Hollands played rugby for years before turning to Strongman at 24, played second row for Harlequins at underage levels I believe

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How does Andrew Sheridan rate on a Strongman scale?

It says on wikipedia that Sheridan can bench press 225 kg and squat 275 kg, on the world strongest man site it says Hollands can bench 250 but can squat 375, i would say that Sheridan with Strongman training would have be a good strongman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The logical end point of this. What would happen if a team set out to go for these type of players in the scrum. In other words a front five of the type of person who is of strongman strength.
    Can you win a game based soley on total domination in the scrum?
    Would the referee just move it to uncontested scrums?

The logical end point of this. What would happen if a team set out to go for these type of players in the scrum. In other words a front five of the type of person who is of strongman strength.
    Can you win a game based soley on total domination in the scrum?
    Would the referee just move it to uncontested scrums?

no a decent scrum unit would still win as experience and skill would play a major role. As noted in the post above your post alot of front rowers would actually make decent strongmen as is.

With the advent of professionalism most rugby players are now trained to maximise the strength and body shape most suited to their role. So yes they may be able to get stronger but generally that would be at the sacrifice of another aspect of their game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

pudzianowski would have to drop most of his muscle in order to be effective or he would gas after 15mins. Too much oxygen required for that sort of muscle mass. Pudzianowski finished most his MMA fights in the first round. Whenever it went beyond that he'd gas and lose. I think in one fight he went purple and just gave up because he was gassed. I actually met him once and he is extremely intelligent funnily enough. Hopefully this gives more coverage to rugby in Poland. They could be a powerhouse if it took off in my opinion. Lots of natural rugby bulk on Polish men. I've worked with a few who didn't even go to the gym but were the size of backrowers. Think Georgia but with a MUCH bigger potential playing population

I seen that fight where Pudzianowski gassed, yer man (big English fella looks like a film extra you'd hire to play hired muscle) was throwing him around at the end. Pudzianowski was weak as a lamb at that stage. Just really showed to me the connection between strength reserves and stamina.

As regards scrum, my question is if you had basically the best scrum in rugby and by some distance. You can smash every other scrum that you would meet. What would happen in that case? Is it possible to win a rugby match in that manner or would the referee move to uncontested? I thought with concerns for safety of the players they move to uncontested, but then you end up in scenario of maybe one side deliberately going backwards or to ground to get uncontested called?
    People wondered about this when England got on top of us last year should we have tried to engineer uncontested.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

Aiden7 wrote: »
    It says on wikipedia that Sheridan can bench press 225 kg and squat 275 kg, on the world strongest man site it says Hollands can bench 250 but can squat 375, i would say that Sheridan with Strongman training would have be a good strongman

out of interest, anyone know who can bench the most on the irish squad? i'd reckon healy or ferris, but that's only a guess.

• Advertisement

You would imagine Healy has the best bench. Shorter arms than Ferris probably and that helps a fair bit.

Advertisement