Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerbal Space Program.

Options
  • 30-12-2012 5:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I've been playing this for a while now, I came across it on youtube
    unlike any flight sim I've ever played.

WARNING: The video uploader is funny but he has a bit of a foul mouth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

haha just downloaded it and love it. only had one fatal crash :D feel bad for my minions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I have a science satellite orbiting Kerbin and one orbiting the mun, I also managed to land a plane on the north polar ice sheet. Many kerbins have made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of progress. My next goal is a manned mun mission or a geostatic satellite for Kerbin. I have no idea how to get to minmus

just realised im only on the demo :( still fun though

Yeah I played the demo for about a month before actually buying the full game. It's not a bad way to get to grips with the game as it's not as complex. It's only €18 though so it's well worth it. No DRM either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

andy_g wrote: »
    just realised im only on the demo :( still fun though

No DRM... *cough*

I've a nasty cough, sorry.

• Advertisement

:D Yeah but the project is still in development, If you get a lot of use out of it you should support it.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    :D Yeah but the project is still in development, If you get a lot of use out of it you should support it.

Yeah gunna buy it monday week as then all exams are finished in the scuba diving course

Good program, a cross between sim and game, I could waste hours testing and retesting rockets. I like the use of humour and fictionalised planets, saves whining about map details etc.

Confab wrote: »
    Good program, a cross between sim and game, I could waste hours testing and retesting rockets. I like the use of humour and fictionalised planets, saves whining about map details etc.

I'm really loving the atmospheric flight. Finding the right sweet spot in terms of altitude vs. available air intake and pushing a jet to four or five times the speed of what you originally thought was possible is very rewarding. It's a tinkerers wet dream.

I'm really loving the atmospheric flight. Finding the right sweet spot in terms of altitude vs. available air intake and pushing a jet to four or five times the speed of what you originally thought was possible is very rewarding. It's a tinkerers wet dream.

Have a look at the mods, there's a realistic aerodynamics mod in there too.

• Advertisement

Still working on this, my current project is to get to the moon and back, Apollo style (CM/SM & LM ascent/descent stages). There are plenty of rockets on KSP that do this, but it's more fun to build it myself. So far I've got it built, but it's way too bendy and becomes uncontrollable after about a minute of flight as the rocket turns into a fiery banana. It's a single stack rocket with 4 SRBs for liftoff, including ASAS etc.

Any ideas on how to sort the bending?

Still working on this, my current project is to get to the moon and back, Apollo style (CM/SM & LM ascent/descent stages). There are plenty of rockets on KSP that do this, but it's more fun to build it myself. So far I've got it built, but it's way too bendy and becomes uncontrollable after about a minute of flight as the rocket turns into a fiery banana. It's a single stack rocket with 4 SRBs for liftoff, including ASAS etc.

Any ideas on how to sort the bending?

I'd suggest putting a very small/light object into a Lunar orbit to start with. One of the probe chassis with a solar panel and the tiny fuel-tank/engine will give you valuable yardstick to aid future missions. A smaller payload will greatly reduce the size and complexity of your lifter stages.
    Once you've achieved that you can begin to balance greater payload mass against required thrust/fuel.
    If you don't know what a Gravity Turn or an Asparagus Stalk System is I'd suggest you google them.
    ASAS may be causing your vessel to convulse, manual flight is trickier but it eliminates the wobbles in some situations. Oh and there's always the strut thingies in the structural tab, they provide good rigidity at a low mass cost but they do create significant air resistance.

ps. Time acceleration will cause problems with physics calculations when flying within the atmosphere and should only be used outside the atmosphere.

new demo is out and have to say, im well impressed

Yeah the full version got a token update to coincide with the updated demo release.
    Thankfully they fixed some very annoying bugs.

Cool video here.

Is there any way to transfer the scenarios\rockets from 18.0 to 18.4?

If you copy over the saves folder from the earlier install you seem to get the kerbal universe in it's current state.
    Your orbiting ships and ongoing flights will be selectable/flyable from the tracking center.

This does not copy your previously saved designs though.

I'm sure they're there somewhere but I didn't need them so I didn't bother looking

If you copy over the saves folder from the earlier install you seem to get the kerbal universe in it's current state.
    Your orbiting ships and ongoing flights will be selectable/flyable from the tracking center.

This does not copy your previously saved designs though.

I'm sure they're there somewhere but I didn't need them so I didn't bother looking

Thanks. Got a very heavy space station into orbit in one go last night, very pleased! Just as well I put a backup propulsion system on it though, the thrust from the biggest engine broke the main system off when I lit it for circularisation! Now to get another two up there and dock the three of 'em...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Damn you all....

I can't stop playing this....

Getting ready to place a tv satalite in kerbin orbit and my space station grrr addictive game.

And i wonder why people are saying im not active modding my forums :O

Woohoo! first Mun mission accomplished with no fatalities and (just enough fuel) :D

• Advertisement

there updating the game today so see what it is

Tried a rescue mission last night. A lunar lander got stuck on the Mun (not enough fuel to get back into Munar orbit) Decided to build another lander with the docking port on the bottom of the lander, to dock with the crippled lander. Well, land on top of it.

Turns out that hovering on the Mun is hard, and docking in a hover is nearly impossible. Finally docked well after reaching min return fuel, got to 500m and ran out of fuel. Boom. Oh well. Switching to KSP 19 tonight anyway.

Aye downloaded the update last night but not had a chance to play it...

Apparently it's backwards compatible, so earlier saves (and kerbals needing rescuing) can cross over...

Looking forward to the rovers, I'd just stared designing one after spotting a one of the Mun's easter eggs from orbit, so that should make life easier!

yay so some of the downloads on spaceport will work. Well Kerbal tv 1 on is on a outter solar obit after trying to correct it its going out by tyloo i think it is then spinning back on a crash course to kerbin in a few years :D

Im downloading the update now dont forget to get the updated patcher.

Also the new version has atmosphere effects too so will be interesting to see :)

Gah, trying to send an LM/CSM combo to the moon and keep running out of fuel! Am even using the RCS to get me into lunar orbit, still running out!

Actually just had a thought - monopropellant rockets, will download the pack and use them with the spare RCS fuel to get me into Munar orbit, then use the abort package to get me out. Risky, but better than leaving Jeb & his mates stranded in orbit.

Gah, trying to send an LM/CSM combo to the moon and keep running out of fuel! Am even using the RCS to get me into lunar orbit, still running out!

Actually just had a thought - monopropellant rockets, will download the pack and use them with the spare RCS fuel to get me into Munar orbit, then use the abort package to get me out. Risky, but better than leaving Jeb & his mates stranded in orbit.

Then ya can mount a rescue mission :D

Have been experimenting with trying to lift 5 orange tanks into orbit at once...

Bang happened....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vandekyrian

i used to play ksp, good game, must get back into it. 0.19 looks a lot better then 0.14

Treadhead wrote: »
    Have been experimenting with trying to lift 5 orange tanks into orbit at once...

Bang happened....

If you reinforce them they should work i have managed to do it, Although i had pollution activists called Kerbal peace blockade my launch pad today ceasing all launch activities while we upgrade security :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Vandekyrian

andy_g wrote: »
    If you reinforce them they should work i have managed to do it, Although i had pollution activists called Kerbal peace blockade my launch pad today ceasing all launch activities while we upgrade security :D

accidentlly drop a fully fuelled rrocket on them, thatll learn em

Advertisement