Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay as a derogatory term.

Options
  • 28-12-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭

Why is calling someone gay automatically perceived as an insult?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Is it? Maybe by 12 year old snickering schoolkids but I don't think it is, generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where To wrote: »
    Is it?
    Sometimes it can be intended that way, ya big gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Possibly all that sanctimonious crap he came out with, as spokesman for the Road Safety Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thread will end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Sometimes it can be intended that way, ya big gay.
    How dare you call me that!! I've never been so insulted in my whole life!!

Big?! Big?! Why you little. . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im good friends with a gay chap, who is a brilliant and strict barman. he hates 'the screamers' as he calls them (the feminine gay men) and used to call them 'gay bastards' a lot when our group would be out drinking and one was in the vacinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Languages evolve naturally, all the time. Dick is an insult, so is prick, **** etc etc. I'm sure when these started being used people were questioning why it was an insult to call someone a penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Where To wrote: »
    Is it? Maybe by 12 year old snickering schoolkids but I don't think it is, generally.

It's quite common for young and old,I've even heard "educated"people in the media use it as an implied insult

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

When Bebo was at its peak in 1996/1997, someone who I knew very little about or knew me only through friends of friends, said about me "he's straight, he's just using being ghey as an excuse" and used it as a main comment. I am not bulls*hitting you, I didn't spend the previous 10 or 15 years pretending to be gay just so my female friends would sleep in the same bed as me. To call me straight, was a huge smack in the teeth. To this day I still remember it.. It genuinely was an insult...that's just me is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

When Bebo was at its peak in 1996/1997, someone who I knew very little about or knew me only through friends of friends, said about me "he's straight, he's just using being ghey as an excuse" and used it as a main comment. I am not bulls*hitting you, I didn't spend the previous 10 or 15 years pretending to be gay just so my female friends would sleep in the same bed as me. To call me straight, was a huge smack in the teeth. To this day I still remember it.. It genuinely was an insult...that's just me is all.

Bebo was around in 1996/1997?

Bebo was around in 1996/1997?
    Ya see, I've just proven time travel...(haha, sorry, 2006/2007 haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

kneemos wrote: »
    Why is calling someone gay automatically perceived as an insult?

It is how your brain computes, you need an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

In before "gaaaaayyy" seal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I cant understand someone over the age of 12 seeing it as a decent adjective to describe anything. Generally people that use it have never spoken to a gay person and see that a lot of "gay" are far more masculine than they will be...

Dan savage sums it up in this clip

http://youtu.be/7Y8mtdUn_QU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

This thread is gay ffs

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    This thread is gay ffs

It will not let you go threw the eye of the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

im good friends with a gay chap, who is a brilliant and strict barman. he hates 'the screamers' as he calls them (the feminine gay men) and used to call them 'gay bastards' a lot when our group would be out drinking and one was in the vacinity.

That describes one of the barmen in my local. Gay bloke who'd kick the ****e out of most no bother and puts up with nothing.

That describes one of the barmen in my local. Gay bloke who'd kick the ****e out of most no bother and puts up with nothing.

That's the only way to do it, zero tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's the only way to do it, zero tolerance.

Yeah. Violence solves everything.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry, I retract simply because of pure stupidity. Violence, NO. Sorry.. no... I didn't mean it like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I wouldn't say he's violent. He keeps the drunks in check. It's a proper local with regular alcos. None of the lads in there will **** with him.

Its going to be a long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sorry, I retract simply because of pure stupidity. Violence, NO. Sorry.. no... I didn't mean it like that...
    Oh yes you did:D

Pottler wrote: »
    Oh yes you did:D

I swear to God lads, I didn't mean it the way it sounded, I'm so sorry. Thanks Mango, nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It'll probably go out of fashion in 10-15 years time, the usage of ''gay'' as derogatory that is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think Mr. Louis CK explains all of this perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

he sounds like a judgmental ass to be honest. what does it matter to him if someone's feminine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Calling people gay is for fags!

Advertisement