Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback (Please thank this post so we know you have seen it)

Options
  • 22-12-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭

So, following on from successful input on other fora we have decided to create a feedback thread so that you, the posters, can give us, the mods, some feedback on how you think the Golf Forum is running.

Feel free to voice any issues/ideas that you may have but note that this is not going to be allowed turn into an unmoderated free for all, the usual posting rules apply.

Please also comment on any positives/things you like in the forum, its important that we know what you guys want to keep along with what we might need to address. Is there anything in the charter that you dont like or disagree with? Likewise is there anything that you would like to see added in there?
    Note that, like every other forum on boards.ie, the charter will never be all encompassing and written in stone, they are guidelines, typically aimed at newer users.

We want the forum to be a place for open conversations, but also a place where everyone is equal and welcome.

If you have something that you would like posted, but dont necessarily want to post it yourself, please PM one of us and we will post it for you.

This thread will remain open and stuck as long as we deem its useful, no prescribed lifetime on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

I would just like to say I really enjoy this forum . I'm not even a year playing the sport and iv been giving great advice by posters on here . And if iv ever needed any questions answered on Golf I received them here .

So thanks all , and hopefully I will be posting some decent scores in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

if the greebo fella was more like that charlie fella I think this would be a happier place for all.

except for the lowry thread...charlie needs to be more like greebo in that thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Firstly, thanks to the Mods for all their work this year.

Secondly, I would like to suggest when one Mod is involved (actively posting) in a thread that involves a debate, then, if possible, the other Mod would look after moderating that thread.

I certainly feel, and know of several others that feel that biased moderation occurs in such instances.

I don't feel it's an intentional bias, I think it's only human nature that a mod would be less inclined to issue warnings to someone that is making the same points/argument as themself. I'd find it incredibly though not to let it influence me.

Threads with debates make up a fairly small percent of total forum....thankfully.

There is certainly a feeling that there's a health warning needed when going up against a mod in one of these debate threads. I think this in itself is causing a greater issue as it can spill over into other threads/ the forum in general.

I'd appreciate if it could be considered.
    And I'm glad this thread wasn't here last night because I might have been having a holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ajcurry123 wrote: »

Secondly, I would like to suggest when one Mod is involved (actively posting) in a thread that involves a debate, then, if possible, the other Mod would look after moderating that thread.
    We do try to do this, however its not always possible, especially when people start to take moderation into their own hands and the entire thread is derailed. If people could Report a post and then not rise to it, things would be a lot easier for all of us!
    If the posting mod ignored "actionable" behaviour then the thread descends into anarchy.
    I certainly feel, and know of several others that feel that biased moderation occurs in such instances.

I don't feel it's an intentional bias, I think it's only human nature that a mod would be less inclined to issue warnings to someone that is making the same points/argument as themself. I'd find it incredibly though not to let it influence me.
    By all means PM one or both mods if you feel there is unfair moderation, we are human and make mistakes but are also big enough to talk them through, if people approach us like humans. Launching into a rant is not likely to be successful, we are all volunteers after all.
    However, there is no (none, zero, zip) tolerance for discussing moderation on ANY forum on boards.ie its just not done.
    There is certainly a feeling that there's a health warning needed when going up against a mod in one of these debate threads. I think this in itself is causing a greater issue as it can spill over into other threads/ the forum in general.
    I think thats pretty unfair on CharlieIRL in fairness :D
    So lets address this, or at least attempt to.
    Firstly, mods are posters too, in most cases part of the main reason they are mods on a specific forum is because they are interested in the topics on that forum.
    As such we are entitled to our opinions and indeed to express them, within the same rules that all posters have to obey. Regular posters dont see it, but moderators, category mods and indeed admins are in regular enough contact with each other, making sure that things are running smoothly and to "plan".
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "health" warning? I argue my point, thats not going to change, if you disagree with what I said then disagree and argue your point, within the rules. There is no requirement to argue any differently because I happen to be a moderator. Unless Im posting like this then its game on to argue/reply/whatever as you would with any poster, and I will reply in kind.

I dont believe that I moderate any differently whether or not a poster happens to agree with my personal opinions or not. As above, if you believe you have examples of this, PM me/us and lets talk about it!
    My personal view is that certain posters treat my opinions differently because I happen to be a mod, if I make points disagreeing with them the reaction is along the lines of "typical mod attitude" and there is no debate, it descends into childishness.
    I'd appreciate if it could be considered.
    And I'm glad this thread wasn't here last night because I might have been having a holiday :)

ahh grasshopper, you are learning! ;)
    Thanks for taking the time to post the feedback.

if the greebo fella was more like that charlie fella I think this would be a happier place for all.

I dont really agree with that to be honest, when Licksy moved on and I took over I was very slow to warn/infract/ban anyone, I guess the result of being new.

As far as I rememeber it (and based on the number of thanks on that thread) that certainly didnt result in a happy families, everyone getting along and no issues forum, every second thread was bitching and sniping...I know I dont want to go back to that.

If you abuse another poster, breach the charter or generally "act the dick" then you will have problems here and on every forum on boards, there are always going to be people who do act the dick, sometimes its in a heated moment and an on thread warning or yellow card is enough, but we have plenty of instances of people who seem to just come on here to troll, wind up and annoy everyone, you only have to look at the list of perma-bans to see that.

However, I will take on board the point of what you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Rickylovesuall

except for the lowry thread...charlie needs to be more like greebo in that thread :)
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont really agree with that to be honest...............

However, I will take on board the point of what you are saying.

And maybe notice the little yellow fellow with the big smile at the end of the post?::)

We do try to do this, however its not always possible, especially when people start to take moderation into their own hands and the entire thread is derailed.

I completely agree that people shouldn't take moderation into their own hands.
    For clarification to others, as my warning is mentioned on this thread, the warning I got last night was for making "childish" comments and not back seat moderation.
    I can't say anything further publicly to dispute that I guess ;)
    If people could Report a post and then not rise to it, things would be a lot easier for all of us!

Could I suggest that reported comments are responded to?
    I've think I've made 2 or 3 reports this year and never got any response.
    I may not have been correct in my reporting, but an acknowledgment that it has been reviewed and not seen as a valid report would only go to promote this activity that you are looking for.
    If the posting mod ignored "actionable" behaviour then the thread descends into anarchy.

I never said or intended to suggest anything to the contrary. My issue is not with mods breaking the rules, it's with Charlie applying them in a biased way
    By all means PM one or both mods if you feel there is unfair moderation

I took out the bit were you admit to making mistakes because we all know that's not true. :D
    I didn't PM either mod yesterday, for several varying reasons, but I welcome this thread as a means of talking an issue I have in the overall running of the forum rather than any personal issue.
    However, there is no (none, zero, zip) tolerance for discussing moderation on ANY forum on boards.ie its just not done.
    So, following on from successful input on other fora we have decided to create a feedback thread so that you, the posters, can give us, the mods, some feedback on how you think the Golf Forum is running.

Ahem.... this thread? :)
    I think thats pretty unfair on CharlieIRL in fairness :D

I didn't want to name names, I reckoned people would figure it out for themselves after a few months (seconds) ;)
    So lets address this, or at least attempt to.
    Firstly, mods are posters too, in most cases part of the main reason they are mods on a specific forum is because they are interested in the topics on that forum.
    As such we are entitled to our opinions and indeed to express them, within the same rules that all posters have to obey. Regular posters dont see it, but moderators, category mods and indeed admins are in regular enough contact with each other, making sure that things are running smoothly and to "plan".
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "health" warning? I argue my point, thats not going to change, if you disagree with what I said then disagree and argue your point, within the rules. There is no requirement to argue any differently because I happen to be a moderator. Unless Im posting like this then its game on to argue/reply/whatever as you would with any poster, and I will reply in kind.

All that is perfect, completely agree with all that. I'll address the health warning below.
    I dont believe that I moderate any differently whether or not a poster happens to agree with my personal opinions or not. As above, if you believe you have examples of this, PM me/us and lets talk about it!
    My personal view is that certain posters treat my opinions differently because I happen to be a mod, if I make points disagreeing with them the reaction is along the lines of "typical mod attitude" and there is no debate, it descends into childishness.

Ok, Health warning was a poorly worded phrase.
    My point was that we are more likely to be deemed "childish" later on in a thread if we have been on the opposite side to you in the debate.
    I'll PM you details of where I think this clearly happened in the thread as suggested.
    I don't particularly want to.
    What will be achieved if somehow I can convince you that you missed it?

You've thanked me for the input and moved on.
    I still think there's a valid case for what I have suggested but that's this conversation ended by the looks of it.

ahh grasshopper, you are learning! ;)
    Thanks for taking the time to post the feedback.

Thanks Sensei, someday I'll reach perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And maybe notice the little yellow fellow with the big smile at the end of the post?::)

This. My post was a little but tongue in cheek and I'm sorry if you took it any other way greebo.

But thank you for responding to my post as you did!!

Overall I'm very happy with the modding on this forum :)

[ thats a genuine smiley, not a tongue-in-cheek smiley ]

I completely agree that people shouldn't take moderation into their own hands.
    For clarification to others, as my warning is mentioned on this thread, the warning I got last night was for making "childish" comments and not back seat moderation.
    I can't say anything further publicly to dispute that I guess ;)
    Actually I wasnt referring to any particular incident at all there. See, people get paranoid and think Im doing things when I actually am not!
    :o
    I've think I've made 2 or 3 reports this year and never got any response.
    I may not have been correct in my reporting, but an acknowledgment that it has been reviewed and not seen as a valid report would only go to promote this activity that you are looking for.
    Yep, it something that we has come up amongst mods across the board (har har) The "plan" is to thank the post so you know it has been received.
    All reports are looked into, typically the response, if required, happens on the reported post directly, however note that there is no onus for a mod to explain why he did or did not take any action, reporting a post is to bring it to our attention if required, after that its up to the mods, cmods and admins to make the next step; its not going to be a place where we explain to the reporter why we did or didnt action something.
    Ahem.... this thread? :)
    This thread is not for discussing specific moderating incidents (as above) its about the forum in general.
    Ok, Health warning was a poorly worded phrase.
    My point was that we are more likely to be deemed "childish" later on in a thread if we have been on the opposite side to you in the debate.
    Well I would strongly disagree with that, and I would categorically refute that even if it is happening, that its intentional.
    I'll PM you details of where I think this clearly happened in the thread as suggested.
    I don't particularly want to.
    What will be achieved if somehow I can convince you that you missed it?
    If you dont want to dont, but then you can hardly expect us to put much stock in what you are saying. Right now you are looking at it from only your own point of view, we also have our own. Remember that two posters posting the same post are not necessarily subjected to the same outcome, history is taken into account with moderating.

If you can convince us that we are doing something wrong, then we learn from it...thats kinda the point!
    You've thanked me for the input and moved on.
    I still think there's a valid case for what I have suggested but that's this conversation ended by the looks of it.
    Discussion about specific incidents will not continue here, but general discussion about how the forum is run/moderated is precisely what this thread is for, so if you have more, keep it coming.

Thanks Sensei, someday I'll reach perfection.
    Never! There can be only one.

This. My post was a little but tongue in cheek and I'm sorry if you took it any other way greebo.

But thank you for responding to my post as you did!!

Overall I'm very happy with the modding on this forum :)

[ thats a genuine smiley, not a tongue-in-cheek smiley ]

I didnt take it in any way tbh, but if thats what people are thinking, I think its only fair and right that I answer it.

For the sake of achieving something with this thread, lets try to be uber clear when we are making a point that warrants a response and when we are not?

tbh I based my assumption that it was a real "question" on some public messages that some users had been having with each other, essentially making the same point your post addressed.

Thx!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

For the sake of achieving something with this thread, lets try to be uber clear when we are making a point that warrants a response and when we are not?

tbh I based my assumption that it was a real "question" on some public messages that some users had been having with each other, essentially making the same point your post addressed.

Thx!
    Can you advise where these public messages are located please? I have not been able to find them.

thanks.

A very quick suggestion, not for the mods but for posters like myself.

I didn't send a PM/report a post last night as I thought it futile...the mod was continuing to post on the thread and I thought they chose to ignore what I "thought" at the time a post that was out of order.
    What I didn't realise was that a previous post had been deleted by same mod and I was taking offense to someone referencing that deleted post.
    Basically, I got my wires completely mixed up.
    I had missed the deleted post and jumped caught the next flight to assumptionville.

The mods can't go around deleting every post/replies to and references to deleted posts.

I shouldn't have assumed that he just let it go. A PM would have saved a lot of hassle.

Point being, talk to your local mod, especially when you're annoyed.
    Mod is question is not Charlie so that narrows it down :D
    Going to bed now happy after a very good PM session with Greebo.
    He is a human being after all.... A super human being :D

And no, I've not been drinking or doing anything stronger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I really don't think this place has any issues. We get a troll or two every now and then but all in all the people who post in here are good folk. The boards society would have failed miserably if we did not have a decent crew posting, instead we got a society I think that can grow and grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

No need to change anything in my humble opinion.

This place is great.

Anything that anyone feels is missing?
    Maybe some extra sticky or something?
    Be creative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

I don't believe you are treated differently because you're a mod. There comes a time in any arguement to just drop it and move on. You alway appear like a dog with a bone and you just never let go. You seem to want the last word always which comes across as a little petulent. Nothing to do with being a mod just your personality I guess.

IanPoulter wrote: »
    I don't believe you are treated differently because you're a mod. There comes a time in any arguement to just drop it and move on. You alway appear like a dog with a bone and you just never let go. You seem to want the last word always which comes across as a little petulent. Nothing to do with being a mod just your personality I guess.

Everyone is free to move on from any thread at any time on here...thats kinda the point...its much more useful to move on than to start causing problems because you happen to disagree with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Everyone is free to move on from any thread at any time on here...thats kinda the point...its much more useful to move on than to start causing problems because you happen to disagree with someone else.

There you go again getting the last word in ;)

Gonna start calling you Matt Cooper on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Life as a Mod

What I would give, to not be a mod
    I would let all go and not give a sod
    A life less ordinary, center stage
    Deal with drunks, ego, youthful rage
    It is Christmas and time, to forgive, forget
    There is nothing, that has not been said or done yet
    We will not look back at the wrongs of the 2012 past
    Get out on the course, live life at full mast
    Stupid poems, online warriors and playful acts
    Half truths and bull****, false dreamer facts
    We will open a new page, a new age a new year
    We will thank the mods, thanklessly , crack a beer.
    Don't go online, when you have had a few.
    The fallout the next day is a sorry view.
    So raise a glass to each other, less one upmanship.
    Give credit to them, acknowledge your own chip.
    So thanks to all, who keep it on the road.
    They need the rest of us, to share the load
    I've gone on too long, from the top of me head.
    Stick to the golf, less poems, more bed.

Only a joke lads - see ye in 2013. Fair play the lads keeping the show on the road, I've seen other forums and it just is bull**** , winding each other up. I know that will happen with a load of egocentric loo laas like me on here. So all in all, great job by mods. They need to get involved in threads as at the end of the day they love golf too. So at least we have one thing in common - whilst we are an extraordinarily diverse bunch. As well as that there are some people who are great at arguing, they just love it. I would also reckon that the online persona of some people is not like them at all. I often laugh and say, I bet if i was in a pub with this lad, i'd have a great laugh. we just don't have the non verbals here and, that makes understanding a person very difficult.

So, don't worry , it is not like it is real life on here. Just open a malbec and relax.

Best of look, may see you in 2013 - I'm an even bigger prick in real life. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

thanks for all the comments so far everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

About time I replied here, apologies for the delay - wonky laptop with wonky keys don't help.

hey, I'm a big fan of the lad and want to see him doing the best he can.;)

Both of us monitor every single thread here and where necessary, one or the other gets involved.
    every single reported post is viewed by the mods here and the category mods and dealt with accordingly, apologies if in dealing with the reported post that the person who reported it is not informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Not sure if this is the place but I would like to thank all the posters in here who helped me through a really tough few weeks back in September after a golfing injury. You have no idea how much your thoughts and best wishes got me through those first few days. Was an eye-opener.

There was one weapon at the time but Greebo dealt with swiftly. Tin_Cup thanks for the gift and CharlieIrl for the offer. Thanks to thoscon for his concern and help.

A thanks also to AJ for sending some real nice PMs recently to see how I was coping. Really nice touch from a nice sort.

All in all the forum is great and packed with decent guys and gals.

Doff of the cap to the mods for all the work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Thoroughly enjoyable forum. Have never had a problem with the moderation or moderators on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

This thread itself is a good snapshot of the forum in general. It's good but could be better with a little less of the last-word freak. I mean is this the feedback or the feedback to the feedback thread?

Having said that let's be honest it's a really well run forum so kudos to the mods and even more so to the opinionated but civil boardsies who hang around here on the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Also I think you would get a lot more feedback (maybe you don't want it?) if you unstickied this thread for a few days. A lot of people never bother looking at the top of the forum after they become regular visitors.

Milkers wrote: »
    This thread itself is a good snapshot of the forum in general. It's good but could be better with a little less of the last-word freak. I mean is this the feedback or the feedback to the feedback thread?

Having said that let's be honest it's a really well run forum so kudos to the mods and even more so to the opinionated but civil boardsies who hang around here on the reg.

its a feedback thread. however if we didn't respond to posts what function would it serve? posters are entitled to answers imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Just a small point, I'd personally be a little bit slow to post new topics in case they have already been covered(most golf topics have been touched on in some way if one does a search) and in turn I'd be slow to drag up old ones too saving being told I was dragging up old topics etc. it's covered in the charter but what's better if someone wants to discuss something? It can be better to have your own topic title.

Lets keep this one just for feedback please...

m r c wrote: »
    Just a small point, I'd personally be a little bit slow to post new topics in case they have already been covered(most golf topics have been touched on in some way if one does a search) and in turn I'd be slow to drag up old ones too saving being told I was dragging up old topics etc. it's covered in the charter but what's better if someone wants to discuss something? It can be better to have your own topic title.

yeah, it can feel like a bit of a tightrope, but honestly I wouldnt worry about it.
    Like most forums, the same stuff is going to come up over and over again, look at the soccer or motors threads...its all "I want to buy a new" or "Boo, referees are paid off by united"
    As long as a thread topic hasnt been done in the last month or so fire ahead with a new one, just do a quick search, if its like a year old then dont resurrect it, unless its a specifically long running thread.

Even then, most of the time if its just been done we will merge them for ya, its not a big issue (you are not going to get carded for it!)

Thx for feedback!

• Advertisement

Not sure why you deleted your post Milkers I think its a fair point.
    In any case, closing this now for a while to free up some sticky space.

If you have more feedback to give please either PM a mod or thank this post and we can reopen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement