Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-12-2012, 19:57   #1
Grizzly 45

Some Irish pro shooting media for a change!

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2012/1...-mount-street/

Nice to see these old guns being fired again...Pity its very difficult if not downright impossible to liscense them almost 100 years later.
Advertisement
20-12-2012, 22:05   #2
tac foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2012/1...-mount-street/

Nice to see these old guns being fired again...Pity its very difficult if not downright impossible to liscense them almost 100 years later.
It is indeed a great pity that firearms like the Mauser and C96 pistol are so difficult to get to shoot, but I'm not altogether sure what they are trying to prove. The Model 71/84 was a well-established and very successful rifle used by Germany and Austro-Hungary and really does not need proving to see if it really does make holes in targets. As for 'testing' the .303 Lee-Enfield.......you only have to look 400 miles to the east in 1916 to see how well THEY functioned under battle conditions.

I'm sure they all had great fun shooting these historic firearms again in the interests of 're-evaluation' but surely there was never any doubt about their effectiveness against soft-skinned targets.

If they had said 'C'mon lads, let's have a some great craic shooting these ould guns again' I'd have been more impressed, instead of dressing it up in a haze of mystique.

tac

PS - go to tac's guns on Youtube and you'll see a few older guns, like the Mauser, being fired.
20-12-2012, 22:57   #3
deeksofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac foley View Post
It is indeed a great pity that firearms like the Mauser and C96 pistol are so difficult to get to shoot, but I'm not altogether sure what they are trying to prove. The Model 71/84 was a well-established and very successful rifle used by Germany and Austro-Hungary and really does not need proving to see if it really does make holes in targets. As for 'testing' the .303 Lee-Enfield.......you only have to look 400 miles to the east in 1916 to see how well THEY functioned under battle conditions.

I'm sure they all had great fun shooting these historic firearms again in the interests of 're-evaluation' but surely there was never any doubt about their effectiveness against soft-skinned targets.

If they had said 'C'mon lads, let's have a some great craic shooting these ould guns again' I'd have been more impressed, instead of dressing it up in a haze of mystique.

tac

PS - go to tac's guns on Youtube and you'll see a few older guns, like the Mauser, being fired.
Yeah, you'ld wonder what are they trying to prove alright.
(2) thanks from:
21-12-2012, 12:49   #4
Grizzly 45

You would indeed wonder...Damn I always wanted a Mauser broomhandle or a Luger carbine.
Wonder would it be possible to liscense a Mauser broom handle carbine here as a classic??Basically the Mauser broomhandle action with a longer barrel and permanent fixed stock.Likewise the Luger,as it had an over 12 in barrel??
21-12-2012, 13:39   #5
tac foley

Well, FAS, either of them are 'only' a centre-fire carbine - so long as you have the stock/holster attached to it. Sadly, the Mauser C96 barrel is still the usual less-than-12", no matter what you do to the other end. The P08 carbine has a longer barrel, for sure, and is also found in both .30cal Luger and 9mm Para. Like the C96, the Luger carbine has a removable stock, not a fixed one, and you'd really be screwing the historical value up if you welded the two bits together to make it one-piece.

The only little flies in the ointment are

1. Finding either in the RoI.

2. Finding the necessary funds.

But I would imagine that with the large amounts of money being spent this year in the RoI - see the what I'm getting for Christmas' thread over the way - the odd eu5-10K is hardly worth mentioning for most of you.

As for licensing it in the RoI - well, I didn't know that you had a category of 'classic' in your firearms laws - all firearms used by meself and fellow classic firearms shooters in the VCRAI have them down as 'target' firearms. However, you can be certain that me and the rest of the lads in the VCRAI would welcome you with open arms if you were to join us with either or both of them. You might ask John Kavanagh at Fingal to find one for you, or at least look into it.

tac

PS - Sure do hope you have a friendly Super.

Last edited by tac foley; 21-12-2012 at 13:53.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-12-2012, 17:35   #6
meathstevie

Quote:
You would indeed wonder...Damn I always wanted a Mauser broomhandle or a Luger carbine.
Wonder would it be possible to liscense a Mauser broom handle carbine here as a classic??Basically the Mauser broomhandle action with a longer barrel and permanent fixed stock.Likewise the Luger,as it had an over 12 in barrel??
Grizzly, I suppose there would still be two restriction criteria to be negotiated being caliber and semi auto but it would make it a lot less impossible than it would be in it's pistol configuration. It would probably be the same with an artillery model Luger if you could somehow make the stock a permanently fixed feature.
21-12-2012, 19:20   #7
tac foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathstevie View Post
Grizzly, I suppose there would still be two restriction criteria to be negotiated being caliber and semi auto but it would make it a lot less impossible than it would be in it's pistol configuration. It would probably be the same with an artillery model Luger if you could somehow make the stock a permanently fixed feature.

Sadly, the PO8 Lange - the correct designation for the so-called Artillery Luger - has only an 8" barrel - so would be VERY hard to license in the RoI, if at all. Right now, in your law, it is a military-calibre seven-shot pistol. Pinning the magazine [that's probably an average of eu150-250 magazine, BTW] and welding the stock to the frame would destroy any subsequent value to ANY collector down the line. There are no more of these guns than presently exist....

Good luck there.

tac
21-12-2012, 21:44   #8
Grizzly 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac foley View Post
Well, FAS, either of them are 'only' a centre-fire carbine - so long as you have the stock/holster attached to it. Sadly, the Mauser C96 barrel is still the usual less-than-12", no matter what you do to the other end. The P08 carbine has a longer barrel, for sure, and is also found in both .30cal Luger and 9mm Para. Like the C96, the Luger carbine has a removable stock, not a fixed one, and you'd really be screwing the historical value up if you welded the two bits together to make it one-piece.

The only little flies in the ointment are

1. Finding either in the RoI.

2. Finding the necessary funds.

But I would imagine that with the large amounts of money being spent this year in the RoI - see the what I'm getting for Christmas' thread over the way - the odd eu5-10K is hardly worth mentioning for most of you.

As for licensing it in the RoI - well, I didn't know that you had a category of 'classic' in your firearms laws - all firearms used by meself and fellow classic firearms shooters in the VCRAI have them down as 'target' firearms. However, you can be certain that me and the rest of the lads in the VCRAI would welcome you with open arms if you were to join us with either or both of them. You might ask John Kavanagh at Fingal to find one for you, or at least look into it.

tac

PS - Sure do hope you have a friendly Super.
Indeed and very true..It would be a mortal sin for anyone to go and butcher an original mag or an original Lange or Marine Luger by welding it up.

I was thinking more along one of these for the Mauser carbine.
http://home.kpn.nl/vlimmere/carbines.htm
Or better said one of the repros in around the 1000 euro mark.

There is this inventive German chap who builds old patents as a gun maker.His Luger carbine is based on an original for Kaiser Whillhelm no 2, for hunting as he had a disfigured left arm from birth and was unable to use a bolt action rifle..
He also does a box loaded Garand as well.Based on a patent of the late 1940s.Not to bad in price either around 2,500 euros for that modern ....shudderr...Luger carbine that looks like a union with a M16.
http://www.waffen-werle.de/index.htm

If I ever get around to vintage rifles,think a nice 30 m1 carbine or Walther K43[repro] that could do double duty for hunting would be my cuppa tae.
22-12-2012, 11:52   #9
IRLConor
Subscriber

Quote:
If I ever get around to vintage rifles,think a nice 30 m1 carbine
I shot one of these a few years ago (repro) and it was great fun. Very hard to shoot without grinning like an eejit.

If I had more time for fun shooting and a friendlier FO I'd consider getting one.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-12-2012, 12:25   #10
cookimonster

Sadly I know of at least one of the mentioned pair a Mauser broomhandle or a Luger plus afew other hand guns that went over the cliffs in Howth under the instructions of my Grandfather when he got older back in the late 1970's.
There was always dispute over which one he carried during the War of Independence, but we knew it had a wooden holster that doubled for a stock.
His method of carry was two large pockets sowen inside his over coat which allowed for both concealment and easy access while operating in suburban and city areas.
(2) thanks from:
22-12-2012, 23:19   #11
meathstevie

Quote:
Indeed and very true..It would be a mortal sin for anyone to go and butcher an original mag or an original Lange or Marine Luger by welding it up.

I was thinking more along one of these for the Mauser carbine.
http://home.kpn.nl/vlimmere/carbines.htm
Or better said one of the repros in around the 1000 euro mark.

There is this inventive German chap who builds old patents as a gun maker.His Luger carbine is based on an original for Kaiser Whillhelm no 2, for hunting as he had a disfigured left arm from birth and was unable to use a bolt action rifle..
He also does a box loaded Garand as well.Based on a patent of the late 1940s.Not to bad in price either around 2,500 euros for that modern ....shudderr...Luger carbine that looks like a union with a M16.
http://www.waffen-werle.de/index.htm

If I ever get around to vintage rifles,think a nice 30 m1 carbine or Walther K43[repro] that could do double duty for hunting would be my cuppa tae.
That chap's sporterised Garand would be some boar gun.
Thanks from:
23-12-2012, 13:18   #12
Grizzly 45

I'd say it is ... Ten shot of 308 or 30.06... ,box for 308 stripper clip for 30.06 Micro holo sight and/or scope mount in a "tanker garand" package.
Just what you need when it gets busy on a "Sau jagd".
23-12-2012, 13:30   #13
Grizzly 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookimonster View Post
Sadly I know of at least one of the mentioned pair a Mauser broomhandle or a Luger plus afew other hand guns that went over the cliffs in Howth under the instructions of my Grandfather when he got older back in the late 1970's.
There was always dispute over which one he carried during the War of Independence, but we knew it had a wooden holster that doubled for a stock.
His method of carry was two large pockets sowen inside his over coat which allowed for both concealment and easy access while operating in suburban and city areas.

Well your Grandad had the true spirt of the old Irish Celtic warrior..
In olden times if a Irish warrior was defeated or forced to surrender,they destroyed their weapons in front of their enemies before surrendering or put them "beyond use" in some way.So that they could never be used against them by their enemies,and that they could prove that they never willingly handed over their weapons and were totally defeated.

Could have been either Luger or Mauser as both could accept stocks.
Thanks from:
23-12-2012, 14:00   #14
tac foley

Quote:
I'd say it is ... Ten shot of 308 or 30.06... ,box for 308 stripper clip for 30.06 Micro holo sight and/or scope mount in a "tanker garand" package.
Just what you need when it gets busy on a "Sau jagd".

Not really in the spirit of 'vintage' or 'classic', is it?

tac
23-12-2012, 19:09   #15
Grizzly 45

What?A "Tanker" Garand isnt acceptable???

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion