Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do UPS deliver Bicycle frames from the UK to Ireland?

Options
  • 15-12-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone tell me if they ever had a bike frame/full bike sent from the uk by UPS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

No but I've used Parcel2Go for a bike frame 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

mp31 wrote: »
    No but I've used Parcel2Go for a bike frame 2 weeks ago
    Thanks for that....what did Parcel2Go charge you if you don't mind me asking.........

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

I found Thunder Transport Ballymound Rd. D10. very good. With most carriers it all about getting the bike packed within the 3 meter overall which is not easy for some bikes. Frame would be ok, well within allowed size for cheap rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Had a frame delivered recently from Germany via the UK by UPS - no problems, took about 5 days.

spokesman wrote: »
    Thanks for that....what did Parcel2Go charge you if you don't mind me asking.........

I think it was about GB Pounds 23 and took two days.
    I asked the seller to give me dimensions of the box and the weight, entered those into the site and it came up with a set of carriers and the prices they charge for collection & delivery of the item.
    You can get quotes very quickly by just entering the dimensions and weight of the item and the source/destination countries.
    Since the frame arrived, it's been sitting idle while I try and find cheap parts to make it up into a full bike :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I was looking into this last week as I was looking at a frame on eBay, but didn't win it in the end. The best deal I found was with Deliver-it who quoted €35.

Barry Rabbitt" <barry@deliver-it.ie>

Some of the other quotes I got were rediculous.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Had a frame delivered recently from Germany via the UK by UPS - no problems, took about 5 days.

Thats interesting, the reason i asked was i bought a frame on ebay, paid the postage etc. The seller had UPS lined up to send it but seemingly when the seller went to actually organise delivery, they were told bike frames are on the UPS prohibitive list in the UK, so the seller could not send it. A lot of humming and hawwing went on from the seller so i opted for a refund, which i got.

mp31 wrote: »
    I think it was about GB Pounds 23 and took two days.
    I asked the seller to give me dimensions of the box and the weight, entered those into the site and it came up with a set of carriers and the prices they charge for collection & delivery of the item.
    You can get quotes very quickly by just entering the dimensions and weight of the item and the source/destination countries.
    Since the frame arrived, it's been sitting idle while I try and find cheap parts to make it up into a full bike :(

Thanks for reply, well it seems bike frames are on UPS's prohibitive list now, from the UK to Eire, see my other post.

spokesman wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, well it seems bike frames are on UPS's prohibitive list now, from the UK to Eire, see my other post.

Just use someone else... there are other couriers out there who will happily deliver a frame at a reasonable cost.
    The next time you buy a frame, ask the seller to box it up and then arrange and pay for the courier yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I've got a mate in the UK I'm buying a bike from and need to get it shipped to Dublin and this was the most recent thread on this topic I could find on the topic.

I was on live chat with www.parcel2go.com but had a frustrating time as they weren't very clear about the acceptable dimensions and didn't really clarify. Better approach will be to decide on the container I use first and then get quotes on that specific package rather than enquire about the acceptable ranges (which seemed to cause confusion). One option is to put it in a cardboard bike box (following up to get dimensions) or to put it in a bike bag or box and then sell that on (as I already have one).

Just wanted to check if others have experience and how they manage to get it within the 3metres limit Sean02 mentions above?

I'll try Thunder Transport mentioned above but given the bike is worth a few grand, it'd be good to have the reassurance of some first-hand experiences with a particular courier company to confirm it went well in terms of getting it within the limits, that it was handled carefully etc. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Seing that your despaching from U.K. the rates and companies might be different . I suggest talking to Thunder for advise, I found them very helpful. Dont think bike bag is a good option for a expensive bike. perhaps you might find a local man with van to Ireland from big city in Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭caadmium

Check out http://www.paisleyfreight.com/. They delivered a new bike for me from the UK a few years ago at a reasonable rate. I don't remember exactly how much it was but I was happy with it at the time.

Also, for ebay purchases check out shiply.com. It's an ebay compatible site which invites quotes from couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Speak to Barry in deliverit.ie, he picked up a carbon fibre car bonnet from the uk for me about a year ago. Wasn't expensive and a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Sorry to take the thread on a tangent but can anyone recommend a similar service to the previously mentioned for shipping to Ireland from Germany? Looking to lessen the expense of deliveries from rose/bike24/bike-discount/jedi-sports etc. (Question is not specific to frames.)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

https://www.paisleyfreight.com

£23.50 plus VAT Push Bike UK > Ireland.

Bike must be boxed.

Cheap as chips.

Compared to Silversprint.co.uk who quoted me £95.00 plus VAT

Advertisement