Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabian schools in the UK ... and Ireland?

Options
  • 10-12-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭

I just watched a clip from an old BBC Panorama investigation of after school and weekend school programmes run by the Saudi Cultural Bureau in the United Kingdom.

Basically, the Saudi government runs after school programmes in the U.K. that teach the Saudi Wahabbist world view. It includes:
    1. Detailed instructions on how to perform Sharia compliant amputations of limbs for minor crime. First a hand, then a foot, with specific instructions as to where the cuts should be made.
    2. That the punishment for homosexuality is death. Students are given a choice though, between stoning, burning alive and throwing off a mountain.
    3. That the Jews are "cursed by God" and that they "look like monkey and pigs."
    4. That Zionists want to take over the world by divide-and-conquer for the Jews.
    5. A brain teaser in one of the books asks students to "list the reprehensible qualities of the Jews."
    6. That all religions other than Islam are lies.
    All of the textbooks involved originate from Saudi Arabia, are the Saudi National Currciulum and are distributed in the UK by the Saudi government.

Here's what caught my attention: the unit responsible for this:
    The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia
    Cultural Bureau in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

So my question is this: are the Saudis active in spreading this ... material ... in Ireland? Has there ever been a similar investigation into Islamic education in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Those schools should be rigorously inspected and closed down if they're found to be indoctrinating children with nasty prejudices - the hate manuals should be shredded too.

Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

Watchout people, I can see the merry band that jumps to the salafi/wahabbi defence at any chance about to get vocal with this one; yeah- but look at the catholic schools and what they said about the brits etc. etc. Rather than address the issues raised here, we'll get semantic hopscotch while they try to defend the indefensible. This issue was broached by Stephen Emerson during his testimony before a senate judiciary committee in the states. - not sure how to link to the article so if anyone wants it- i'll send it on- very good read. [FONT=FreeSans, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

We should let the Saudi's open one of the above schools in Ireland for every Gael Scoil we can open in Saudi Arabia, with an ethos of western values and principles and equal learning opportunities for boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

booom wrote: »
    Watchout people, I can see the merry band that jumps to the salafi/wahabbi defence at any chance about to get vocal with this one; yeah- but look at the catholic schools and what they said about the brits etc. etc. Rather than address the issues raised here, we'll get semantic hopscotch while they try to defend the indefensible.
    There are a couple of PC Left multi-culti posters in particular who I am just waiting for to accuse me of Islamophobia and/or say it's all Israels' fault.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

SeanW wrote: »
    There are a couple of PC Left multi-culti posters in particular who I am just waiting for to accuse me of Islamophobia and/or say it's all Israels' fault.

Yes, because all the polices listed in the OP that you abhor are completely left-wing and liberal...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

BBC Panorama special report: Saudis preach hatred of homosexuals and Jews.

Investigative journalism just ain't what it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

This is a positive development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I wonder if the text books are made by Folens?

I wonder how the schools feel about kids being dropped off at the schools by their mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ok, the last thread we had on a similar topic turned into a trainwreck and comments like that from the actual starter of the thread don't help. Also It's frowned talking about posters who haven't posted on the thread, hardly fair on them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I honestly would find anyone who agrees with these type of schools opening here in Ireland a gob****e.

The flaws of Free speech I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

PC Left multi-culti posters
    Such a simplistic and intellectually dishonest catch all phrase. I would probably be considered "pc left multi-culti" by people who use the above terminology. Ironically I might also be considered intolerant by the very people who would label me pc lefty multi-culti when I say religion of any kind (including catholicism) has no part in the school system, except perhaps in a non exam based module called "mythology" which covers all religions through the ages and highlights the overlaps and outright plagiarism involved in so many of them as well as highlighting the negative effects these religions had and continue to have on social issues, Human rights abuses and scientific development. We could have it run alongside another moduel called critical thinking in which children are taught how to think for themselves, not what to think.

I don't think we should tolerate intolerance and I oppose any kind of religious ethos in any school. If parents want to indoctrinate their kids then let them do it themselves outside of the education system instead of taking the lazy destructive option and having teachers do it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I just watched a clip from an old BBC Panorama investigation of after school and weekend school programmes run by the Saudi Cultural Bureau in the United Kingdom.

Basically, the Saudi government runs after school programmes in the U.K. that teach the Saudi Wahabbist world view. It includes:
    1. Detailed instructions on how to perform Sharia compliant amputations of limbs for minor crime. First a hand, then a foot, with specific instructions as to where the cuts should be made.
    2. That the punishment for homosexuality is death. Students are given a choice though, between stoning, burning alive and throwing off a mountain.
    3. That the Jews are "cursed by God" and that they "look like monkey and pigs."
    4. That Zionists want to take over the world by divide-and-conquer for the Jews.
    5. A brain teaser in one of the books asks students to "list the reprehensible qualities of the Jews."
    6. That all religions other than Islam are lies.
    All of the textbooks involved originate from Saudi Arabia, are the Saudi National Currciulum and are distributed in the UK by the Saudi government.

Here's what caught my attention: the unit responsible for this:
    The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia
    Cultural Bureau in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

So my question is this: are the Saudis active in spreading this ... material ... in Ireland? Has there ever been a similar investigation into Islamic education in Ireland?

Has it been established the the Saudi's have actually established any schools in Ireland?
    Secondly reading the OP it appears these classes are carried out after school and at weekends, so they are extra curricular and that students attend at the behest of their parents, so this is not being taught during mainstream teaching hours.
    Of course it is shocking tripe to teaching anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

token101 wrote: »
    I wonder if the text books are made by Folens?

See Dick,

See Dick run,

See Jane,

See Jane run (3 paces behind Dick)

conorhal wrote: »
    See Dick,

See Dick run,

See Jane,

See Jane run (3 paces behind Dick)

See Jane trip over her burka...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw