Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - PC for Construction Engineer

Options
  • 08-12-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I wonder if you could help me out please, my soon to be brother in law is looking for a new PC for his work as a construction engineer. He uses programs like the new CAD ect and is looking for something with a half way decent graphics card.

1. What is your budget? €500-600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? 3d Modelling ( i believe that is part of the CAD program)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, had only had desktop replacement until this point

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1680x1050] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes/No, Ideally no as i will have to help him do it but if it means a better performing system for what hes spending i will

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser/Bank Transfer/Etc...]

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP, he wants it before Christmas but due at this late stage i have advised that is probably unlikely

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

You're probably talking about Inventor Professional . I use it at college.

I just assembled my own workstation with the following components.

MSI Z77A-G45 G3 ATX Socket 1155
    Intel Core i5-3550 Boxed
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM (not yet installed, running 2gb )
    OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
    1.5TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3
    Thermaltake Smart 550 Watts

I'm using the onboard graphics controller and it works fine for now.
    However if you have huge assemblies then a GC becomes mandatory.

All the above , plus case, cables, dvd etc ..costs €680

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What is inventor professional? I haven't got a clue the only thing i got out of him when i asked what he wants is it must be fast.

Let me go check back with him some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

On that budget I think this is good

Item|Price
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€68.24
    Intel Core i5-3570 Box, LGA1155|€190.05
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27|€64.11
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.04
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€54.44
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€83.40
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€88.02
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€599.29

If you had more to spend Maybe put an SSD in and a Nvidia card might help because of the cuda cores.
    IntelHD graphics is normally good for non gamers.
    16gb memory should be good for CAD work.

Inventor is used to model parts in 3d...

Mine is fast enough, the ssd speeds things up considerably. Power on, shutdown as well as program starts and closing down is like nothing you've ever seen before.

I'm not a gamer so this system is adequate for my needs,

Hey tuxy. How is the ASRock mainboards compared to MSI?

• Advertisement

Well it has the B75 chip which is cheaper than the Z77 in the MSI.
    You would want the Z77 if you plan to overclock but is a waste of money if you don't.
    It's a good board, I've used it in a build before.

I could drop the RAM to 8GB and go for a slightly lower clocked i5 and we might be able to fit a SSD into the €600 budget.

8gb and SSD or 16 and no SSD, which would be best for cad?

I'd go for the 8gb plus ssd.

Autodesk , makers of cad and inventor recommend 8gb plus a graphics card for assemblies with more than 1000GB
    2gb for less than that.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15402497&linkID=9242018#section4

I'd go for the 8gb plus ssd.

Autodesk , makers of cad and inventor recommend 8gb plus a graphics card for assemblies with more than 1000GB
    2gb for less than that.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15402497&linkID=9242018#section4

You would need a Nvidia quatro graphics crad in there to meet that recommendation

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/1024+MB/48721/PNY+QUADRO+600+1024MB+DDR3+BULK.article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ask him what CAD software he will be using and take a look at the recommended specs e.g. http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad/system-requirements/
    Is he based in an office or in a site office? If it's the latter, the offices often get really really dusty so you'd want some sort of way of managing this, removable filters or something in the case.

^ You're right. I'm still learning inventor and would not do assemblies with more than 100 parts next semester so I'm holding off on the graphics card. The Intel HD seems to be working fine for now.

However Calhoun's brother in law might have different requirements.

First, thank you all for your input its greatly appreciated.

I have asked him what version of cad he is using and seeing if he currently has a gfx installed in his laptop so i can get an idea of what needs to be added to his build.

He wont be working in a site office this will be mainly used in his home office and he plans to use the laptop while doing customer demo's ect.

Also the i5 3770 and all i7's have the intel HD 4000 graphics while the rest have the intel HD 2500 graphics , does anyone know if that would make a difference to CAD work?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Long times since I've done any CAD work but AFAIK many of the packages will benefit largely from a workstation GPU.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/workstation-solutions.html

Theres much of a muchness with integrated GPUs AFAIK as it's all based on CUDA.

Maybe an i3 with a quadro card? If €600 is max budget.
    I guess we can't say until we know what software he uses.

Spoke to him there earlier, he is using the newest version of autocad. 600 isnt the ceiling on the budget he could push it some more he wants something he can use for a while so is open to expanding his budget.

Although he is not sure about the SSD he would like to have a hard drive and possible backup hard drive without having to do a partition on a single HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'd say if he's not doing any 3D rendering (3DS Max would be slow), any ol machine will do. My office is running Architectural Desktop 2010 on an old pentium 4 PC no bother...mostly 2D tho. I've been using CAD since R12 and with every new release we've had no problem running it on mid - low spec machines.

If I was getting a new PC to manly use as a 2D CAD workhorse, I'd buy cheap and spend the money on a nice big screen :D

I'm thinking this is a good build then
    Item|Price
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€68.24
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.04
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€83.40
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€88.02
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Basic|€94.99
    Antec BasiQ VP450|€40.92
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27|€64.11
    Intel Core i5-3570 Box, LGA1155|€190.05
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€680.76

autocad is a 64bit program so is capable of using loads of ram so it's nice to be able to put 16GB in when ram is so cheap.
    The SSD should speed things up too.
    Unless someone who uses autocad can confirm the quadro is really worth the money I'd leave that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Any sort of graphics card will do. Doesn't need an absolute beast. Cad is not CPU intensive or even really GPU intensive.

Item Price
    BitFenix Merc Alpha €34.00
    Windows €85
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €42.28
    ASUS M5A78L LE, Sockel AM3+, ATX €50.15
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3 €85.87
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27 €64.11
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s €88.02
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7750, 2GB DDR3 €87.03
    Samsung SH-118AB DVD-RW €13.33
    Shipping €18.99
    Total €560

• Advertisement

areyawell wrote: »
    Any sort of graphics card will do. Doesn't need an absolute beast. Cad is not CPU intensive or even really GPU intensive.

Item Price
    BitFenix Merc Alpha €34.00
    Windows €85
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €42.28
    ASUS M5A78L LE, Sockel AM3+, ATX €50.15
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3 €85.87
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27 €64.11
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s €88.02
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7750, 2GB DDR3 €87.03
    Samsung SH-118AB DVD-RW €13.33
    Shipping €18.99
    Total €560

If that's true then why would you pick the 7750 when that motherboard comes with the ATI Radeon HD 3000? Maybe upgrade to that version of the motherboard but with dvi for a few exta euro and remove the 7750

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Definitely go for a CUDA enabled nVidia card if you're doing 3d work... never know when you'll want to render out your creations ;)

If you're on a budget maybe go i7 but without a dedicated GPU for now? Then pop one in later.

Is it worth €100 for hyperthreading?

tuxy wrote: »
    Is it worth €100 for hyperthreading?

Perchance not, would depend on what software he has though.

Oh and I would really recommend an SSD over a back-up drive, they're awesome. Dropbox is grand for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For 64-Bit AutoCAD 2013
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions) or Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2 or later)
    AMD Athlon 64 with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron® processor with SSE2 technology, Intel® Xeon® processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology, or Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
    2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
    6 GB free space for installation
    1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color (1,600 x 1,050 with true color recommended)
    Internet Explorer 7.0 or later
    Install from download or DVD

Basically, my phone could run autocad :p That said, if he's working on very big projects/3D work rather than simple 2D plans then it'll ramp up.

Cant be sure but I suspect any more than 8GB ram might be overkill, unless he's using a load of textures on rendered plans there shouldnt be a lot of data to be loaded from what I can see.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Spoke to him there earlier, he is using the newest version of autocad. 600 isnt the ceiling on the budget he could push it some more he wants something he can use for a while so is open to expanding his budget.

Although he is not sure about the SSD he would like to have a hard drive and possible backup hard drive without having to do a partition on a single HD.

You mentioned in your original post something about 3d modelling. Was this incorrect? Does he only do 2d drawings then? This is an important piece of information and a potential gamechanger.

Nevertheless, Tuxy's recommendation is adequate, although even 2gb of ram will be good enough for Autocad.

You mentioned in your original post something about 3d modelling. Was this incorrect? Does he only do 2d drawings then? This is an important piece of information and a potential gamechanger.

Nevertheless, Tuxy's recommendation is adequate, although even 2gb of ram will be good enough for Autocad.

No he doesn't only do the 2D modelling i think, he was talking about having to render it every once in a while and it taking ages.

He definitely needs to go with an i7 then to start, then an nVidia when he can afford it. Eventually you do want to render your CAD stuff. If he's not putting on a custom cooler and also will not have money for a card within two months I would suggest he goes with an i5 and 650 ti minimum.

Andy!! wrote: »
    He definitely needs to go with an i7 then to start, then an nVidia when he can afford it. Eventually you do want to render your CAD stuff. If he's not putting on a custom cooler and also will not have money for a card within two months I would suggest he goes with an i5 and 650 ti minimum.

Is that based on your experience of autocad? Even in adobe premier that makes excellent use of hyperthreading you see a 20% reduction in rendering times for a 50% exta cost premium.

Sounds like unseenfootage is the only person on here with enough knowledge about autocad to give real advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

tuxy wrote: »
    Is that based on your experience of autocad? Even in adobe premier that makes excellent use of hyperthreading you see a 20% reduction in rendering times for a 50% exta cost premium.

Sounds like unseenfootage is the only person on here with enough knowledge about autocad to give real advice.

AutoCad doesn't like Hyperthreading. Autodesk even recommend turning it off
    I5 is a good choice

It uses Cuda for different applications so an Nvidia card of some sort with Cuda is recommended.

8gb ram is fine for now easy and cheap upgrade if he needs it

an SSD is nice and speeds things up but not essential

Advertisement