Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hell and Back 2013 - 10 KM - 27 Jan/ 3 Feb

• 03-12-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

I had a quick look around and could only find older threads so thought I'd start a new one.

http://www.hellandback.ie/

Anyone doing this in early 2013 ? I see theres a second date being put on for 3rd Feb.

I'm humming and hawing about signing up. I think it looks like great fun, but would be my first race ever being new to the running game - would I be biting off more than I can chew ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Munster Masters yesterday was hell. No coming back from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

c - 13 wrote: »
    I had a quick look around and could only find older threads so thought I'd start a new one.

http://www.hellandback.ie/

Anyone doing this in early 2013 ? I see theres a second date being put on for 3rd Feb.

I'm humming and hawing about signing up. I think it looks like great fun, but would be my first race ever being new to the running game - would I be biting off more than I can chew ?

I did it in October and really didn't want to do it. I was persuaded into signing up as part of what I would describe as a mickey mesuring conversation I had with a mate of mine who had registered. On the day I proved my mickey was bigger when he didn't even show up. The race itself is pure hell. It is punishment every step of the way and the entire race you feel like c**p. But thats where it ends, as soon as you cross that line no matter what time you've run you get this sudden feeling of relief and achievement that no marathon can give you. I've registered to run it again in January with one goal in mind and that's to shave at least 8 minutes off my 1hour 12 I ran last time round. I've stepped up the training and re-ran the race and every obsicle in my head over and over again to the level of obsession and bearing in mind that conditions will be a lot worse in January.

I would recommend it even as a first race. There are people of all levels of fitness competing and you even get the dress up crowd doing it. Just bear in mind that you are going to be cold wet and miserable from the get go and the mental running wall that marathoners get whilst running actually manifests itself as physical barriers every couple of hundred meters.

Go for it and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

seanmacc wrote: »
    I did it in October and really didn't want to do it. I was persuaded into signing up as part of what I would describe as a mickey mesuring conversation I had with a mate of mine who had registered. On the day I proved my mickey was bigger when he didn't even show up. The race itself is pure hell. It is punishment every step of the way and the entire race you feel like c**p. But thats where it ends, as soon as you cross that line no matter what time you've run you get this sudden feeling of relief and achievement that no marathon can give you. I've registered to run it again in January with one goal in mind and that's to shave at least 8 minutes off my 1hour 12 I ran last time round. I've stepped up the training and re-ran the race and every obsicle in my head over and over again to the level of obsession and bearing in mind that conditions will be a lot worse in January.

I would recommend it even as a first race. There are people of all levels of fitness competing and you even get the dress up crowd doing it. Just bear in mind that you are going to be cold wet and miserable from the get go and the mental running wall that marathoners get whilst running actually manifests itself as physical barriers every couple of hundred meters.

Go for it and good luck.

Thanks for the detailed response seanmac. Based on your experience of it last time around what sort of distance would you say you would want to be doing on a regular basis to be able to complete it distance wise - I just wouldnt want to stop halfway around gasping for breath :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

c - 13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed response seanmac. Based on your experience of it last time around what sort of distance would you say you would want to be doing on a regular basis to be able to complete it distance wise - I just wouldnt want to stop halfway around gasping for breath :o

I'd be touching the 10k. Just bear in mind running 10k on the flat will be no good to you, the big killer in this race is the mountain. When treking up the Little Sugar Loaf it is steep and nearly everyone is doing it at a walking pace. There is also a section after you come down from the mountain where you traverse up and down the hill at the side of the mountain. Hill running training is what you need to do. I wouldn't worry about gasping for breath too much. Believe it or not some of the obsticles slow you down enough so you can catch your breath. From the start after you go through the pond (leaves you soaking and smells mingon) you have a 2-3k of light uphill until you reach some hurdles of bails of hay, these hurdles you need to climb and allow your breath to come back. If you've decent upper body strength they won't phase you and offer an opportunity to get the breath back at least for a couple of seconds. It is very stop start like that and there are some bottlenecks of other runners that will slow you down. The only shame in this race is not getting to the start line and not getting round before the max 2hr 30min limit has elapsed.

Just note there is a downhill section, it is very short but does give you some recharge time.

Build up to 10k if you haven't already, get some good hill runs in and definately work on the upper body as well.

Advertisement