Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

02-12-2012, 11:44   #1
MurdyWurdy
Closed Account

Vietnamese in Dublin - Pho Bo

Having lived overseas for a while we used to eat a lot of Vietnamese food, mainly Pho Bo. We went to cheap as chips Vietnamese cafes and the food was always amazing. Both myself and my husband have a real craving for it but can't find anywhere in Dublin. We found one Vietnamese restaurant but it was quite expensive and had a waiting list when he tried to book We're looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful. Anyone know of anywhere to get Pho?

Also, does anywhere in Dublin do yum cha (which would probably be called dim sum, I'd say. It's Chinese dumplings/nibbles/cakes with tea). We used to go regularly on Sunday's and it's the world's best hangover cure. We're missing that a lot as well Any ideas?
Advertisement
02-12-2012, 12:05   #2
Mrs Fox

Saba on Clarendon St does Pho Bo for under a tenner.

Places that do yum cha (in my personal favourite order) are:
1. Ming Court in Blanchardstown
2. Imperial on Wicklow St.
3. New Millennium next to the Gaeity.
4. Good World on George's St.
02-12-2012, 12:14   #3
YumCha

You cannot get 'proper' pho bo anywhere. A lot of the Asian fusion type places (Saba, Neon) do a version - but it's pretty lacking.

There was a whole thread about pho recently - I posted about Aobaba on Capel St - which is the closest attempt I've seen.

As for yum cha, my favourite is New Millenium next to the Gaiety - I have it on good authority all the dim sum is handmade.
02-12-2012, 12:22   #4
tfak85

There is a new dim sum place in Ranelagh called mak at D6, went there a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed.
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2012, 12:35   #5
Mrs Fox

I read somewhere Pattaya off Nangor Road does dim sum too. But I wonder if it's a proper dim sum menu? You know how some restaurants claim they do dim sum, only to come up with a handful dish of fried eggrolls, dumplings and squids.
Advertisement
02-12-2012, 12:41   #6
Mrs Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfak85 View Post
There is a new dim sum place in Ranelagh called mak at D6, went there a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed.
Site looks great! Must give Mak a try. And they have POTSTICKERS!!!
02-12-2012, 18:03   #7
YumCha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfak85 View Post
I've tried Mak once - didn't like it at all! Spare ribs came out all clumped together, chicken feet were oily, rubbery and sticky (but not a good sticky - like when a sauce congeals). Would give it another go maybe but it was one I almost said in my other post to avoid!
03-12-2012, 09:15   #8
MurdyWurdy
Closed Account

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - we'll have to do some sampling. My hubby was only talking about Pho again last night but I didn't mention I was looking for suggestions. Think I'll surprise him this week - I work near Capel Street so might try the one there first.
Thanks from:
03-12-2012, 21:12   #9
MurdyWurdy
Closed Account

We went to Saba tonight - he was desperate for Pho and we both really liked it. It wasn't quite as nice as what we are used to but it was very good. It definitely scratched the itch. My only complaint was the beef was sliced very thick which is unusual for Pho. My husband also had to ask for extra chillis to add which we're used to getting on the side as standard but the service was excellent so it wasn't a big deal.

The Pho is 9.95 online but it's actually 13.95 in the restaurant. They must have put the price up. It was worth it though!
Advertisement
03-12-2012, 22:34   #10
Ben D Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fox View Post
2. Imperial on Wicklow St.
Was on Wicklow St today and the Imperial seems to have closed down. To Let sign out front.

Edit: It's actually gone a couple of months according to the IT

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...325612481.html
05-12-2012, 00:07   #11
Mrs Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Bus View Post
Was on Wicklow St today and the Imperial seems to have closed down. To Let sign out front.

Edit: It's actually gone a couple of months according to the IT

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...325612481.html

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I'm going to miss their Duck Noodle Soup
10-12-2012, 03:26   #12
Mrs Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdyWurdy View Post

The Pho is 9.95 online but it's actually 13.95 in the restaurant. They must have put the price up. It was worth it though!

It's 9.95 for lunch.
10-12-2012, 17:33   #13
lima

Having lived in Vietnam and Melbourne I got quite used to Pho, especially on a hungover Sunday (I Love Pho on Victoria St!)

Having brought my Melbourne GF back to live in Dublin I have had to go to as far as London and Paris to find decent Pho. We did go to Saba to try their 'Pho' there but it wasn't proper pho at all.

We then discovered Aobaba on Capel St and that is currently the best Pho in Dublin. it is also very cheap at e5.90 or thereabouts. It does chicken Pho too, as well as Summer rolls :-)

I reckon setting up a Vietnamese restaurant in Dublin would make for some serious profit, cheap and cheerful place off Grafton St or in Rathmines for example.
11-12-2012, 10:53   #14
John_Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima View Post
I reckon setting up a Vietnamese restaurant in Dublin would make for some serious profit, cheap and cheerful place off Grafton St or in Rathmines for example.
Ho Sen was great. Really really good authentic Vietnamese food at good prices, (very popular with the thirty to forty something gay community, so you know it's quality food), I was there about four or five times. The chef was from Hanoi. But it closed down. I guess there isn't much of a call for Vietnamese food in Dublin.

Rumour has it that Ho Sen is to open again soon. Keep an eye out.
13-12-2012, 11:52   #15
MurdyWurdy
Closed Account

To the posters who suggested places for yum cha - do any of them do a proper "yum cha experience" i.e. people walking round with trays of food and asking if you want some or not or is it all just ordering off a dim sum menu? I want to go with friends for my birthday and I'd love to find somewhere that does yum cha on the weekends like we're used to.
Thread Closed