Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowflake symbol on dashboard...whatzit mean?

• 02-12-2012 3:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

I drive a 2007 Ford Focus. Tonight, a snowflake symbol lit up on my dashboard while I was driving. I am pretty sure that I have driven in cold temps like these in the past month or so, but this is the first time I have seen the snowflake symbol. What does it mean? Is it telling me that it is effing freezing outside (well duh !!! :rolleyes: ) and to be aware of icy roads? Or is it telling me something specific about the car, such as I am low on anti freeze or something? My car (only bought it 6 months ago) did not come with an owners manual, so I can't look up what the snowflake may mean. Ta !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The snowflake comes on at 3/4 degrees. Can't remember which one. It's in the owners manual if you got it with the car. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As Cian said it comes on at 4c and below, I assume it was Amber? Because it will glow red at 0c and below. Basically just to warn that it is really cold and there is a possibility of ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Groovy. Thanks guys. Last car I owned, I was living in Florida, so I am not exactly the world greatest living expert on driving in cold weather. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What does it mean? Is it telling me that it is effing freezing outside (well duh !!! :rolleyes: )?

Yeah, stay inside the car. I ignored the warning and it's really effing freezing there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

afaik it comes on at 4C because road temps can be 4C lower than air temps, which means that when the light comes on the road could be at freezing, and you may hit ice.

So if its RED, the road may be -4C.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Every car I've owned has been 3 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

The Jetta has that. first time i heard it it let off an alarm signal. Thought the car was breaking down on me. But comes on at 4 degrees flashes on screen for bout 4 seconds and then just stays there. bit annoying when it bings then temp rises then falls and bings again. could go off bout 4 or 5 times on a wired night or day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I hate them.

People automatically start driving at 30kph as soon as they come on, and braking around every turn as they go.

Car manafacturers should teach people about winter driving instead of filling the cockpit with falderydolls like that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Where To wrote: »
    I hate them.

People automatically start driving at 30kph as soon as they come on, and braking around every turn as they go.

Car manafacturers should teach people about winter driving instead of filling the cockpit with falderydolls like that :(

Can't say I've seen any evidence of that. They are a valuable tool I find, particularly when driving long distance at night with mountainous roads, the temperature can plummet drastically between when you depart and arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

NIMAN wrote: »
    afaik it comes on at 4C because road temps can be 4C lower than air temps, which means that when the light comes on the road could be at freezing, and you may hit ice.

So if its RED, the road may be -4C.

It comes on at 4c because thats the temp that water begins to freeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

It lights up on the 1st of December to tell you it's Christmas,i drive an Audi though so everyday is Christmas so my snowflake stays lit all year round ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Can't say I've seen any evidence of that. They are a valuable tool I find, particularly when driving long distance at night with mountainous roads, the temperature can plummet drastically between when you depart and arrive.
    It seems like most of the congestion in Dublin city in the last week has been because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

tossy wrote: »
    It lights up on the 1st of December to tell you it's Christmas,i drive an Audi though so everyday is Christmas so my snowflake stays lit all year round ;)

yeah, you'd need something to cheer you up, driving an Audi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

pred racer wrote: »
    in 4 degrees water has the highest density.
    It doesn't mean it starts to freeze ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I hate them.

No, people should educate themselves first on the various functions in the car that they are driving and they should educate themselves on how to drive properly in winter. Better still the state should do this during the driving exam. It's not up the car manufacturers to teach people how to drive, you should be competent to drive before you get behind the wheeel of one of their cars on your own.

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    in 4 degrees water has the highest density.
    It doesn't mean it starts to freeze ?

Black ice starts to form at around 3 deg. air temperature especially in the vicinity of bridges crossing rivers and near water. Can't remember the exact scientific explanation for the process but anyone on the weather forum should be able to tell you.

Most European countries educate their drivers during training that black ice can form at this temperature and people should drive with due care and attention.

I think those alarms are good, admittedly some of the noises they make are annoying but in general I'm in favour of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

corktina wrote: »
    yeah, you'd need something to cheer you up, driving an Audi...

Yeah that sense of self satisfaction can be a real downer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Was in England a few years ago with a work colleague. We rented out a focus from Manchester airport and were hitting across the Penines towards Barnsley late that night when this light came on. We hadn't a clue what it was but yer wan started to worry about an engine fault and started saying rosarys/novenas in case the car blew up :) Needless to say the light was gone the following day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Was in England a few years ago with a work colleague. We rented out a focus from Manchester airport and were hitting across the Penines towards Barnsley late that night when this light came on. We hadn't a clue what it was but yer wan started to worry about an engine fault and started saying rosarys/novenas in case the car blew up :) Needless to say the light was gone the following day..

You can't beat an ould pray, it always works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

pred racer wrote: »

Complete fallacy.

Water can only start to freeze at 0 degrees (given average atmospheric pressure). Even at 0 it may not freeze at all but to explain this, it involves a lot of science. Read up on supercooled water.

In fact, 0 degrees is technically not the freezing point of water (there is no such thing). It is the melting point of water.

The reason the sign comes on in the car, is because even though the air temperature is above 0 degrees, the road surface may not be and hence, ice may form on the road. There is also the issue that at between 0 to 4 degrees, ice may have previously formed which has not melted away yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I had them in Mondeo.
    Amber snowflake if temp goes below 4 degrees, and red snowflake if temp goes below 0.

I though it was confusing, as generally in most car makes amber dash lights are meant to warn us about something (rear fog-light, rear window heating, engine management problem, etc), while red lights usually mean that there is problem with car and you should stop and avoid further driving until fixed.
    That red snowflake was exception, and I hated to drive all winter with red dashlight on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CiniO wrote: »
    I had them in Mondeo.
    Amber snowflake if temp goes below 4 degrees, and red snowflake if temp goes below 0.

I though it was confusing, as generally in most car makes amber dash lights are meant to warn us about something (rear fog-light, rear window heating, engine management problem, etc), while red lights usually mean that there is problem with car and you should stop and avoid further driving until fixed.
    That red snowflake was exception, and I hated to drive all winter with red dashlight on.
    Black sticky tape :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A wee orange light can't tell the difference between perfect driving conditions at -10C and atrocious conditions at +10C.

A driver should be able to tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

In fact, 0 degrees is technically not the freezing point of water (there is no such thing). It is the melting point of water.

"melting point of water" !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

dieselbug wrote: »

"melting point of water" !!!!!!

Water can refer both to

1. The compound H2O irrespective of it's physical state or
    2. H2O when in liquid form.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

DiHydrogen Monoxide you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

best thing to do with ice, i to drop it into some whiskey as that lowers the freezing point, or raises it, (who cares?) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A wee orange light can't tell the difference between perfect driving conditions at -10C and atrocious conditions at +10C.

A driver should be able to tell the difference.

He can. If you strap him to the bonnet and drive at 80kph. When you stop he'll know exactly what temp it is. And what windchill factor is too.

We don't all drive Model T's......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement