Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Turkey 10km Run - Sutton / Howth - Dublin 29.12.12

Options
  • 26-11-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just letting you all know that the 3rd Fat Turkey 10km run is on again in Sutton on Saturday 29th December 2012.

All details on Fat Turkey Run
    Registration Click Here
    Facebook
    Twitter

All proceeds go towards developing rugby in the comunity and to the IRFU Charitable trust.

For those not interested in the Run there is also the Walk option. See www.srfc.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Think ill do this one! How many expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did it 2 years ago. What a killer of a hill but great to have a big juicy downhill section to bounce down. :) Ill probably sign up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I love Howth running, might try this one, if I am back in Dublin in time after xmas - good that it's an out and back as the alternative descent, into Howth Village, is too steep, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Doing Hell and Back in January and this could be a great training run for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Question ?

Given that the course is an "up and down" on the same road, whats to stop "mid pack" people just jumping over to the down section before reaching the summit ?

I did this race in 2010 (i think) and it was then the full hill of howth, and so not an issue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MisterDrak wrote: »

Given that the course is an "up and down" on the same road, whats to stop "mid pack" people just jumping over to the down section before reaching the summit ?

I suppose the main thing stopping people from doing this is that they would only be fooling themselves? A bit like "forgetting" to count an air shot on the golf course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

seanmacc wrote: »
    Doing Hell and Back in January and this could be a great training run for it.
    Same as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Just letting everyone know that the price has remained the same at €15 + reg fee.

We increased for a few days but brought the price back down as the numbers for the race were so positive (the race is non profit - all proceeds go to a good cause).

Registration on the day is €20 and not the €25 as previously advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Great race today. Weather was perfect and that is one bitch of a hill to run.

The one criticism I have is that coming round the corner on the way up just at the Summit pub and shop I nearly ended up creaming one poor young lady running out front on the way down. Had we clashed it would of ruined her race more than mine. If there was a way to split the uphill traffic from the downhill traffic at that point there or change the route slightly it could prevent a disaster.

Aside from that there was no faults. Traffic was minimal (the roads were still open) and the walkers stayed out of the way. Great race and I'll put it on my list for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

seanmacc wrote: »
    Great race today. Weather was perfect and that is one bitch of a hill to run.

The one criticism I have is that coming round the corner on the way up just at the Summit pub and shop I nearly ended up creaming one poor young lady running out front on the way down. Had we clashed it would of ruined her race more than mine. If there was a way to split the uphill traffic from the downhill traffic at that point there or change the route slightly it could prevent a disaster.

Aside from that there was no faults. Traffic was minimal (the roads were still open) and the walkers stayed out of the way. Great race and I'll put it on my list for next year.

I did this today also. Great challenge to end the year. Would agree absolutely with your comment above. Had to dodge a runner or two just turning there at the shop myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Great race yesterday. The legs certainly had enough of climbing at the half way mark alright.

I couldnt stick around at the rugby club for too long afterwards so didnt get to see place/time. As I was blowing a gasket coming over the line i never actually registered my time so am keen to get this. Does anyone know when the official results will be posted online, or if they will be at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Great race yesterday. The legs certainly had enough of climbing at the half way mark alright.

I couldnt stick around at the rugby club for too long afterwards so didnt get to see place/time. As I was blowing a gasket coming over the line i never actually registered my time so am keen to get this. Does anyone know when the official results will be posted online, or if they will be at all?

results are supposed to be posted here :http://fatturkeyrun.wordpress.com/results/ but no sign of them yet. I believe they send an email also. I forgot to stop my watch for same reason as yourself so am keen to get the official time too. No chip mat at start so I assume everyone gets the same start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

Results here:

http://www.elitetiming.co.uk/Results/2012_Fat_Turkey_results.pdf

Great race, will be back in next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

QandA wrote: »
    Results here:

http://www.elitetiming.co.uk/Results/2012_Fat_Turkey_results.pdf

Great race, will be back in next year!

Thanks, you beat me to it!

Results and photos on http://fatturkeyrun.wordpress.com/

Comments noted above and is something we are aware of. As the race grows the risk increases, so it is something we will address for next year.

There is an option to bring the run down Thornmanby Road. So as you come down from the car park you take a left and pass the shop to your right. Go all the way down Tby Rd and take a left back onto the main road.

Another option is to have the runners cross over at the very top past the first right and go round past the Summit Inn and up to the car park and then back down the original way. They only issue is the traffic management at the very top as its a small area to cross over.

Perhaps a combination of the 2??

Would be very interested in an open discussion to make it better...Comments please..

On another note - I would like to thank each and every entrant for supporting the event and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Great race, really enjoyed it again this year. Like others mentioned, I was close to hitting into a runner coming up as I was heading down beside the summit shop. Thinking about how it can be done better, I think heading back down Thormanby Rd (i.e. past lighthouse road) would be an improvement but it then creates the issue of runners cross directly through uphill runners at the junction (i.e. where the 31B turns in as it goes up the hill). So therefore runners going uphill would need to be asked to stay on the left side of the road until somewhere beyond this point. Once they reach the summit shop, just keep them to the left and use some markers to ensure that runners coming down from the summit car park keep to their left so there's no crossover.

Also I think I would put the water at the summit car park rather than near the summit shop and maybe have cups instead of / in addition to full bottles, I know I needed only two mouthfuls myself. The bananas & water bottles were very welcome at the finish.

Advertisement