Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39" Full HD lcd tv: Aldi €349.99

Options
  • 08-11-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Decent price for a full 1080p tv,for the price it does what it says on the tin.Sure it's not a top of the range Samsung but for 350 quid what do people expect.It's saorview & plays video files via usb.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24412.htm

Product_detail_Wk46T_a3.jpg
    Built-in DVB Tuner to receive digital TV and radio stations
    Digital TV and Radio
    Electronic Programme Guide
    Watch multimedia via USB (memory stick not included)
    Parental control

Specifications:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    Contrast: 3000:1
    Brightness: 350cd/m2
    Response time: 8ms
    Viewing angle: 178/178
    Speakers: 2 x 9W
    Energy rating: B

Connections:

3 x HDMI, 1 x USB, 1 x SCART, 1 x CI, 1 x Composite, 1 x Component, 1 x Coaxial, 1 x VGA, 1 x Audio In, 1 x Headphones

They are also selling a wall bracket for €24.99.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24411.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

The fact its not a Samsung makes me want it. Samsungs have crap screens and tinny sound. We have 3 in the house all purchased at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And the twin-pack of 2m long HDMI cables are not bad value either at €8.99. Put Argos robbers to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

What make is it?

What make is it?
    All I can see on the brochure is "e-motion" on the lower front bezel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Jack breen wrote: »
    The fact its not a Samsung makes me want it. Samsungs have crap screens and tinny sound. We have 3 in the house all purchased at the same time.

does that say something to you ? are they all the same model ?

• Advertisement

This is the description on Aldi's UK site:

39" HD Ready 1080p LCD TV
    £249. 99 each
    Watch all your favourite movies, shows and more in gloriously clear HD. And, as you'd expect from Aldi, this big screen comes with a small price tag. Buy today and you'll be all set for those festive chocs-around-the-box family viewing sessions.

Features:

Built-in DVB Tuner to receive digital TV and radio stations
    Freeview TV and Radio
    Electronic Programme Guide
    Watch multimedia via USB (memory stick not included)
    Parental control
    Specifications:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    Contrast: 3000:1
    Brightness: 350cd/m2
    Response time: 8ms
    Viewing angle: 178/178
    Speakers: 2 x 9W
    Energy rating: B
    Connections:

3 x HDMI, 1 x USB, 1 x SCART, 1 x CI, 1 x Composite, 1 x Component, 1 x Coaxial, 1 x VGA, 1 x Audio In, 1 x Headphones
    Dimensions:

Wall mount: VESA 200 x 200mm
    Accessories:

Remote control with batteries

The line in bold above refers to Freeview reception. As there is no mention of Freeview HD, i'm just wondering will this tv tune in Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Invincible

What make is it?

Usually they are Medion, sub-standard panels, if you're unlucky enough to have a screen defect, like a stuck/dead pixel,tough.
    I bought a 40" from Aldi some years back,it had/has a pixel stuck on blue permanently,contacted the store,they wouldn't take it back,contacted Medion, they said it was within spec,as it had less than 3 pixel defects. The 3 year warranty won't help for that!
    Better to buy somewhere that you can take the set out of the box, plug it in and check the picture quality.

Invincible wrote: »
    Usually they are Medion, sub-standard panels, if you're unlucky enough to have a screen defect, like a stuck/dead pixel,tough.
    I bought a 40" from Aldi some years back,it had/has a pixel stuck on blue permanently,contacted the store,they wouldn't take it back,contacted Medion, they said it was within spec,as it had less than 3 pixel defects. The 3 year warranty won't help for that!
    Better to buy somewhere that you can take the set out of the box, plug it in and check the picture quality.

Its not a Medion. Its an E-motion. Their tvs are listed on the Saorview list of approved tvs, so this one may be one of the approved ones.

Medion gear is excellent in my experience. I have bought lots of their stuff over the years and never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

duckysauce wrote: »
    does that say something to you ? are they all the same model ?

It do indeed, not all the exact same model mind you but they all suffer the same problems. I will first into Aldi for this as its a TV for a guest room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

i'm just wondering will this tv tune in Saorview.

I think the fact that they have the Saorview logo on the ad itself probably means it will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

i'm just wondering will this tv tune in Saorview.
    Any modern TV will have a digital tuner, a HD picture will depend on the broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OneIdea wrote: »
    Any modern TV will have a digital tuner, a HD picture will depend on the broadcaster.

That doesn't answer his (legitimate) question. Saorview HD reception is all about the receiver, not the broadcaster. Even still, many "modern TV"s with "digital tuner"s sold in Ireland are still Freeview-only (MPEG2) and will not support Saorview (specifically, RTE2HD, but not the other channels when they switch to HD, either).

So, is it Saorview compatible? We don't know for sure until we see the model number, but with the use of the Saorview logo, you'd imagine it will be. You're dead right to want to double check, mind you; such is the mess that the multiples have made for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

The most recent TVs from Aldi all have a Saorview Tuner built in.
    Everything comes with a 60 day money back guarantee anyway
    so you can always bring it back if you are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it says HD ready, but it's also 1080p. shouldn't that be full HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

it says HD ready, but it's also 1080p. shouldn't that be full HD?

Bit of a misnomer,any HD READY tv isn't HD until you connect a HD source such as a Blu Ray player.

Some people are picky about the wording,if you only connect a standard Skybox to it,then it isn't HD & as a result is HD Ready.

The set is 1080p so can display a HD signal up to & including 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats about as clear as mud zerks.

HD Ready is a meaningless description. As it has been used to describe TV that can't do 720p or 1080p, as well as those that can. You'll really have to check the full specifications yourself, and in a couple of places, as often the specifications vary on a specific model from site to site. So you can't really trust them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats about as clear as mud zerks.

HD Ready is a meaningless description. As it has been used to describe TV that can't do 720p or 1080p, as well as those that can. You'll really have to check the full specifications yourself, and in a couple of places, as often the specifications vary on a specific model from site to site. So you can't really trust them either.

It's pretty clear, any HD set is only HD ready,if you plug an analogue source into it then it's not HD.

The specs show that it's full HD so ignore the HD Ready logo it's just causing confusion.

Back on topic,I can see these flying out the doors next week,the majority of people simply see the price & that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

zerks wrote: »
    It's pretty clear, any HD set is only HD ready,if you plug an analogue source into it then it's not HD.

The specs show that it's full HD so ignore the HD Ready logo it's just causing confusion.

Just to note that some TV's even some Plasmas can't do 720p or 1080p but they advertise them as HD ready. Just to be aware of that.

Granted it doesn't seem to apply to this TV though. So as you say ignore it here.
    ...before the introduction of the "HD ready" certification, many TV sources and displays were being promoted as capable of displaying high definition pictures when they were in fact SDTV devices; according to Alexander Oudendijk, senior VP of marketing for Astra, in early 2005 there were 74 different devices being sold as ready for HD that were not.[2] Devices advertised as HD-compatible or HD ready could take HDTV-signal as an input (via analog -YPbPr or digital DVI or HDMI), but they did not have enough pixels for true representation of even the lower HD resolution (1280 × 720) (CRT based sets only capable of SDTV-resolution or VGA-resolution, 640×480 pixels, or the plasma-based sets with 1024 × 768 resolution), much less the higher HD resolution (1920 × 1080), and so were unable to display the HD picture without downscaling to a lower resolution. Industry-sponsored labels such as "Full HD" were misleading as well, as they can refer to devices which do not fulfil some essential requirements such as having 1:1 pixel-to-pixel mapping with no overscan or accepting a 1080p signal....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Jack breen wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh .The mid to high end Samsungs are excellent sets.
    Along with Panasonic they are probably the best tvs available.

I will agree with you on the sound though.As tvs get thinner and thinner the sacrifice is sound quality.There is no where to fit decent speakers.
    I do not understand why people want ultra thin tv's .1-2 inches thick is thin enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

:confused: In my experience, Aldi will take stuff back absolutely quibble-free — even following a simple "change of mind" — if you return it within 28 days in merchantable condition. Surely that's time enough to check it out and make your mind up?

Also, the only PC in our house that has never given a day's trouble is a Medion bought from our Germanic friends nearly four years ago and (ab)used every day since by several people, including the kids. I wouldn't pooh-pooh the brand on quality grounds at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No. the picture on that listed a brighter screen at 430cd/m2 - the one on sale here is 350cd/m2 and scart socket in a different position

it's approved so my guess is
    http://www.saorview.ie/product/emotion-2/

EMO-39/66J-GB-3B-FHCU-ROI 39" Full HD LCD TV

and this is probably the manual
    http://www.skymediauk.co.uk/Downloads/emotion/User%20guide%20-emotion%20-%2039-66J-GB-3B-FHCU-ROI.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone know the screen Hz? I imagine it's 50/60 Hz.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

zerks wrote: »
    Some people are picky about the wording,if you only connect a standard Skybox to it,then it isn't HD & as a result is HD Ready.

Are you sure about this. Hd Ready usually implies 720p and Full HD implies 1080

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

It's "ready and waitin' for HD", if and when the user chooses to supply the source, so I'd agree with Zerks here :)

What "Hd Ready" should be used for and what it IS used for may not be one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Irish TuneR

Contact every manufacturer and let us know how you get on as some research. I know most of the big ones are the exact same unfortunately.....

Anyone know if it will show Saorview EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sleepingghost

cgarvey wrote: »
    That doesn't answer his (legitimate) question. Saorview HD reception is all about the receiver, not the broadcaster. Even still, many "modern TV"s with "digital tuner"s sold in Ireland are still Freeview-only (MPEG2) and will not support Saorview (specifically, RTE2HD, but not the other channels when they switch to HD, either).

So, is it Saorview compatible? We don't know for sure until we see the model number, but with the use of the Saorview logo, you'd imagine it will be. You're dead right to want to double check, mind you; such is the mess that the multiples have made for themselves.

Not true. All TV's sold by Irish retailers must be Saorview compatible. This has been the case for almost two years now.

My understanding of the law is If you have bought a tv set in the last two years that is not Saoview compatible the product is not fit for purpose and you may return the product to the retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I understand that to be full HD, it must support 1080p (not just 1080i)

As you will only get 1080p from a blue ray disc, its a little redundant. Broadcasters are using 1080i

Advertisement