Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - analogue switchoff - no more analogue BBC radio

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

We have broadband and phone with UPC. We're with Sky for TV.

I have two analogue radios connected to the cable. Until last night (apparently, the switchoff took a while to get to all customers) we lost the BBC stations.

I just phoned them and got the explanation about the change to digital.

They've offered me 50Mb broadband, All World phone (this is what we currently have - we make a lot of foreign calls), Sky Sports/Movies, all in HD for €117 p/m.

Very tempeted, I miust say.

Anyone any experience of the UPC HD? Sky is superb.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its ok. But not as good as Sky. You get BBC Radio on your Sky box I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I get BBC radio on the Sky box.

I'm a total radio head. Would give up TV and CDs for it, if I had to. :P

I've got wifi radio in the living room and via the computer in my home office.

The problem is in the bedroom. BBC is now gone from the analogue radio there. The radio is connected to a UPC point in the room.

If I stick with Sky for TV, I'll probably have to buy a wifi radio in order to get BBC.

Though I'm not even sure if I switch to UPC for TV, will the analogue connection to my bedside radio return?

Decisions, decisions!

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If makes no difference if you switch to UPC. You get the same analogue signal. You should really be looking for answers from UPC they are the only ones who can answer this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056794342

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The analogue switchoff should not have affected UPC; their system is totally seperate from the terrestrial analogue signal that got turned off last week.

The only thing that I can think might have affected the BBC radio signal would be the analogue switchoff in the UK; if UPC no longer get the feed from BBC to supply their analogue service. The UK analogue switchoff happened some time ago though, so Id be surprised if you are only seeing the effects now.

You really need to contact UPC about this again. If you are already a broadband customer then the analogue signal will be turned on for your house. If the BBC channels are not coming down the analogue signal then signing up for their digital TV service is not going to help; this will only allow you to get the radio channels via the TV box.

Have you tried the radio on some of the other connection points in the house? Maybe there is a problem with the connection point in the bedroom?

To be honest if it was me Id probably just switch over to a good wifi radio regardless (something like a decent Roberts). I know certain content on the BBC can be restricted on the internet streams (there are always ways around this... ;)) but overall its probably worth it.

BBC Radio 4 and the World Service just returned in the last few minutes. But, not BBC Radio 3. Very odd!

If I do end up switching to wifi, I may be back to you about restricted streams! ;)

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Radio of any kind is nothing to do with Analogue Switch off. That is purely Analogue TV via an Aerial.

Of course UPC might use this period of time to reduce Analogue TV on cable to give more space for Broadband and Digital TV. The part of cable used for Analogue FM Radio isn't much. It's about 2.5 Analogue TV channels!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Simple explanation maybe that BBC Radio all moved Astra transponder yesterday and UPC had not retuned to the new transponder....

Infoanon wrote: »
    Simple explanation maybe that BBC Radio all moved Astra transponder yesterday and UPC had not retuned to the new transponder....

You coiuld well be right.

BBC Radio 3 back now also.

Phew! Crisis over! :P

D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't see how anyone could have tied this to DSO...FM is still going in NI, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

BBC's last transponder on Astra 2A was shut off yesterday about 2pm, leaving all their services broadcasting from transponders on Astra 1N.

Channels affected were R1, R2, R3, R4 and R Ulster, I think!

UPC obviously receive via DVB-S, and convert to FM.
    In the North, DVB-T or FM, to FM.

Interestingly, agreements between broadcasters and operators would generally oblige the broadcaster to notify the operator of any changes in advance.

So either someone in UPC forgot, or......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

mickko wrote: »
    BBC's last transponder on Astra 2A was shut off yesterday about 2pm, leaving all their services broadcasting from transponders on Astra 1N.

Channels affected were R1, R2, R3, R4 and R Ulster, I think!

UPC obviously receive via DVB-S, and convert to FM.
    In the North, DVB-T or FM, to FM.

Interestingly, agreements between broadcasters and operators would generally oblige the broadcaster to notify the operator of any changes in advance.

So either someone in UPC forgot, or......

Given how they have responded to issues before about the FM service it's definitely not a major priority for them

Advertisement