Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Phantom do listenership-wise?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

How many people are listening? How does this compare to other similar channels? Is this more or less than used to tune in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Hi KingofFairview. Over on the radio forum there is a pretty detailed thread on the latest JNLR listenership figures including Phantom.

To summarise though, here are the numbers as they relate to Phantom. Phantoms market share is 0.7% which is the share of minutes listened and that is as low as it has ever been and its listened yesterday (sometimes called reach) figure is 15,000 or 1%. That figure is the number of people who tuned into Phantom at any point "yesterday". The 15,000 figure achieved this time around is Phantoms lowest ever.

You asked how many people used to tune in so I went back to 2009 for you. Phantoms market share in 2009 was 1.7% and its listened yesterday figure was 30,000 per day. In three years Phantoms audience has halved as has the amount of market share.

Your final question was about similar outlets and in this case the closest comparison is with Nova. Nova have 2.7% market share and 45,000 listeners per day. This was a drop on previous figures. The nearest station in terms of audience share is 4FM who have 1.1% market share and 21,000 listeners per day.

BAI.IE has a lot of the figures on a quarter by quarter basis (there are 4 sets of figures a year). Happy to answer questions here or on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Interesting, RA, thanks for the input! Think they can do anything to turn it around?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Interesting, RA, thanks for the input! Think they can do anything to turn it around?

You're welcome. Have spent the morning working on a client presentation which includes JNLR numbers so I'm happy to contribute to this thread and the one on the Radio board.

As to whether they can do anything to turn it around, that is a question that should really be directed at the operators and owners of Phantom. Do they have the expertise or the inclination required to turn it around? Unfortunately the figures speak for themselves.

I would like to be surprised though, there is some decent talent still in there but it is those at the top who need to step up. Very interesting to compare the fortunes of Phantom with those of XFM London. The parallels are striking from a lack of understanding of musical fashions to poor marketing to a lack of grasp of niche audiences. Just my personal views though as a former listener and fan.

You're welcome. Have spent the morning working on a client presentation which includes JNLR numbers so I'm happy to contribute to this thread and the one on the Radio board.

As to whether they can do anything to turn it around, that is a question that should really be directed at the operators and owners of Phantom. Do they have the expertise or the inclination required to turn it around? Unfortunately the figures speak for themselves.

I would like to be surprised though, there is some decent talent still in there but it is those at the top who need to step up. Very interesting to compare the fortunes of Phantom with those of XFM London. The parallels are striking from a lack of understanding of musical fashions to poor marketing to a lack of grasp of niche audiences. Just my personal views though as a former listener and fan.

Hmm... Not too hopeful. Well, i hope in that event it would be bought out rather than just go under altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Unfortunately those "at the top" are directly responsible for Phantom's decline over the last couple of years IMO, so I doubt they'll make the necessary decisions to turn it around.
    the bland and predictable playlists and general music policy. the increasing desire to introduce more "talk radio" and less music. copying other stations programme formats and making Phantom as formulaic and similar as the rest. putting the shows that do play anything other than bog-standard indie-rock into late timeslots, then getting rid of them altogether.
    and all seemingly in the hope of attracting listeners to being in advertising money.
    despite, as the JNLR figures show, they've been losing listeners over the last few years making these decisions. many people who used to listen to Phantom just don't care about listening any more, and few people are going to chose to switch from the established "wacky breakfast show" or energetic drive-time shows on TodayFM/Spin/2FM etc. to Phantom.

at this stage, it seems like its only a matter of time until Communicorp pull the plug and either sell off Phantom, or just wind it up completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

i kept my mouth shut in when phantom went legal a few years back in the hopes that my fears would not become reality, but it's going that way.. I always had this dread in the back of my mind that it was going to deteriorate into banality and get lost in the sea of sameness that is the Irish radio station.. they may as well all be the one station.. and it's a real shame.. bring back pirate phantom I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I had always assumed that the unpopular changes at phantom over the last year or 2 resulted in many new listeners at the cost of some disgruntled long time listeners. But now it transpires that they've basically just driven away these long time listeners without attracting any new ones. How the hell do the gimps in management still have jobs?

They're basically running the station into the ground and things are only getting worse, with the latest travesty being the 'Dumb and Dumber' morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nope...I think it's all down to branding. Once a station goes for LCD programming then it's usually all downhill. Nova currently are the go-to station for rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I had always assumed that the unpopular changes at phantom over the last year or 2 resulted in many new listeners at the cost of some disgruntled long time listeners. But now it transpires that they've basically just driven away these long time listeners without attracting any new ones. How the hell do the gimps in management still have jobs?

They're basically running the station into the ground and things are only getting worse, with the latest travesty being the 'Dumb and Dumber' morning show.

They've tried for that share of the market that sort of likes decent music, e.g. buys a Mumford & Son album and thinks they're John Peel. But the problem is that:
    a) Phantom have a very small playlist on heavy rotation; turn it on any time of the day and there's a 40% chance you'll hear the Vaccines. Fact!
    b) the sort of market they're going for (more casual music fan, likes a bit of guitar rock but thinks Rihanna is great too) is already carved up between FM104, 98FM, 2FM and Today FM.
    c) the new breakfast show is a poor man's Ray Foley. And the original Ray Foley isn't up to much...

I don't like to sound like a music snob because I'm really not, but Phantom's unique selling point was always that you would hear songs and bands there that you wouldn't hear on others stations; that's no longer the case, so now they have nothing to mark themselves out as different. They're a small fish in a big pond now, things are looking grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

But the problem is that:
    a) Phantom have a very small playlist on heavy rotation;

I think that's phantoms main problem. Is there a reason for this? I know nothing about running a radio station but is there something like 2 for 1 offers on royalties? Play the same Bloc Party song 10 times a day and only pay for 5? It just seems silly to have such a small playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'm seldom a radio listener these days but back in the day was a committed listener of Phantom. It had quality shows and was great introduction to the weird and wonderful in respect of music. It was the first place I heard The Fall, Elliot Smith, Low etc- bands I continue to love to this day. One got the impression that the DJ's were music and radio enthusiasts rather than jobbing personalities peddling someone else's wares. There was something very insular seeming about it, and I mean that in a charming kinda way. The same just can't be said of it now.

Of course, another factor to consider is that I simply don't need radio to find 'new' music anymore. Would I be interested in a show about b-sides/out-takes by obscure 70's rock bands and accompanying back story? Possibly, but I guess that's going to be at odds with commercial aspirations. Oh well, I've fond memories and it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

You can't manufacture the feeling you get from a show who's DJ's are playing music they love. You also can't hide the obvious insincerity of a DJ who's putting on a track because they've been told to play, i can't bare listening to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

They've lost listeners due to their over reliance on guitar music and a very particular brand of indie music. Where is the hip hop or electronic music? You don't have to play pop music to be successful.

When will the next JLNR figures be released?

Advertisement