Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotline Miami

Options
  • 25-10-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone picked this up? I only noticed it was released last night when I opened up Steam. It's only about €9 and it's fantastic. It's incredibly fast paced and one of the few games where dying continuously isn't frustrating.

In one early level I kicked a door open, knocking out a guy behind it, ran in and smacked a guy with a baseball bat, threw the bat at a third guy, picked up a samurai sword and decapitated a fourth man, jumped on the first guy and smashed his head into the ground and was then blown away by a fifth guy with a shotgun. And all that in a matter of seconds.

Although some might scoff at the graphics, they're actually really detailed (like poking a guys eyeballs out with your thumbs) but fairly gory (again, thumbs and eyeballs).

It's getting rave reviews and is a must for anyone. Even if you're not into fast paced games, it's just so funny when you mess up badly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was looking at it the other night and it does seem good. One review i read on it gave it 10/10 and the reviewer spoke really highly off it. Apparently even though its a difficult game its still really fun.

Ill definitely purchase this when i have some money for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Am very interested in this one after hearing all the positive buzz. Mac port is delayed a few weeks, but will definitely be picking it up when it emerges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Lot of fun. Bit mad. Lovely retro feel to it. Well worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Interesting game. It's like playing on a c64 again. If I had one sliiiight complaint is that it moves juuust a touch too fast.

The soundtrack is sublime as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fantastic game, loving it so far. Soundtrack here to stream:

http://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Played a couple of chapters over lunch and absolutely love pretty much everything about it.

It's most certainly worthy of the praise it's getting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Sublime game, worth the money just for the soundtrack and trippy visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Great game for the money.

It can **** with your head a wee bit, the map seems to move slightly while you're playing, there are some flickery effects.

But if you want a game that's easy to get in to, but hard to master, and which has bags of style, give it a lash.

There's a very Super Meat Boy thing in how as soon as you die you're back at the start of the level ready to do it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

This game is hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picked this up after reading all the good buzz building around it; very simple formula, but with a lot of hidden depth and fiendishly addictive, I love it. Similar to indie games like FTL, there's not a whole lot in the game itself, but it keeps you coming back for more.

The presentation & visuals are nicely done & suitably lo-fi (though the deliberate visual artefacts can be a strain on the eyes). The game's worth picking up for the soundtrack alone though - fantastic retro-synth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Ending was very disappointing. I took a break then finished the last few missions with the cleaver. It didn't make sense to me

Grimebox wrote: »
    Ending was very disappointing. I took a break then finished the last few missions with the cleaver. It didn't make sense to me
    I take it you
    missed the fact you were playing as a different character for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I thought the ending was exceedingly clever.

gizmo wrote: »
    I take it you
    missed the fact you were playing as a different character for them?
    I literally took a break at the exact moment the character switches. Had no idea what was going on in the last few levels. Completely my own fault. I thought it was some kind of hallucinations that the guy was having. I thought he was in fact both people. Who were those two guys you kill in the sewer?

I literally took a break at the exact moment the character switches. Had no idea what was going on in the last few levels. Completely my own fault. I thought it was some kind of hallucinations that the guy was having. I thought he was in fact both people. Who were those two guys you kill in the sewer?
    They were just two guys from the phone company who used their positions to threaten people into killing folk who they believed deserved to die.

There are a bunch of different theories to do with the alternate timelines, Mask guy timeline in general and when/if a bunch of the events actually take place at all though. :)

Yeah I was disappointed through my own stupidity to be honest. I didnt get it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

really enjoyed that game.

Would love to see the fast paced breaching style of it get picked up into other titles. part me of kept thinking, this is what the Kane and Lynch games should have been like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So this is flippin brilliant...

And, currently on sale on Steam and Amazon.com (Amazon cheaper by about 30c)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

So this is flippin brilliant...

And, currently on sale on Steam and Amazon.com (Amazon cheaper by about 30c)

People definitely should pick it up. Bursting through a door, smashing a guys head in, picking up his shotgun and blasting the next two guys in the room and then throwing said shotgun at the guy who bursts through the door and then smashing his head in never gets old.:pac:

Also that soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

if you collect all the letters in each level you spell out a certain song lyric which unlocks a slightly different ending - those 'telephone company" guys apparently have a different agenda altogether

love the soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

4 minutes 50 seconds, of a repeating 8 second loop.... Im going to play it again, cause its just so damn good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is my favorite; reminds me of the film 'Drive'. Pure audio elixir:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played a level earlier at a friend's house. Straight home, onto Steam and picked it up. Sale ends tomorrow.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

How many chapters are in this ? Im on about 8, im getting tired and annoyed at it now, I just wanna see the end of the storyline.
    Some missions ye end up doing about 20 times, thank god its quick thoguh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well I don't know who wrote the story for this game - also apparently there is a "secret" ending you get by collecting letters.

Just read the plot on Wikipedia. Ridiculous

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Well I don't know who wrote the story for this game - also apparently there is a "secret" ending you get by collecting letters.

Just read the plot on Wikipedia. Ridiculous

Yeah I looked it up on youtube. Its stupid how much is left out of the proper ending

All the songs in one playlist. Handy for a bit of study music

https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally out on Mac, for the hipsters among us who were waiting to play :pac:

Just played an hour's worth and it is indeed fantastic. Unique mood and heart-attack inducing twitch gameplay. I like, even if I feel like a psychopath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's also on it way to PS3 and Vita. Not sure when though.

Advertisement