Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pesky Cyclists

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That is terrifying. And it's also why I wear a helmet cam.

Whatever about the chap the actually knocked him down, the woman in the silver focus should be banned from driving. There is no way she didn't see what happened. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

That's just madness. Deplorable driving in the part of the woman in the Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It all makes sense at 4:31 in the video :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

As person who cycles often, watching this movie just rose my adrenalin level.
    Lady repeating "i didn't see you" 10 times is just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

Bike awareness needs to be part of the driving test!
    Thats a fairly normal sight on the roads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

In fairness the lad that hit him first seemed to admit it straight away so not sure why the cyclist had a go at him. Suppose it was just spur of the moment. The dope in the focus was trying to defend herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The ignorance and unhelpfulness of the woman in the Focus is just laughable really. Absolutely sickening, hope the cyclist was treated and paid out appropriately.

How long before someone posts in this thread saying it's the cyclist's fault for not paying "road tax"?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Both drivers obviously in the wrong, but cant belive the woman spent most of the video trying to defend her self, his bike is under your car ffs.

Fair play to the cyclist for staying so calm and having the state of mind to deal with it the way he did.

Decription from youtube video:
    Driver one RJ05 EFO Chris Bassett OF Harrow, PLEADED GUILTY ( His statement was that he's insurance company told not to plead not guilty as there was no damage to his car but on seeing the video he pleaded guilty). : RECEIVED SIX POINT AND A £230 FINE.
    Drive two NC04 LXG Sue Trepak of Hanwell, has pleaded NOT GUILITY even on view the video. The court case has been delay until sep 2012 due to the court has not the facility to play the video format (.MOV).

I can't understand why woman was pleaded not guilty.

Also interesting point that driver of black car received 6 penalty point.
    AFAIC in Ireland for causing an accident there is no penalty points - and I still can't understand why?
    You do 65 in 60 zone - 2 penalty points 80 euro
    You run over cyclist or crash into someone - no fine - just insurance implications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,015 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ya have to feel fair sorry for cyclist these days. I wouldn't cycle myself because its just to dangerous

At least ya man in the black jumper came across ok (the sound isnt the greatest)but that woman was a right auld bitch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Headshot wrote: »
    Ya have to feel fair sorry for cyclist these days. I wouldn't cycle myself because its just to dangerous

At least ya man in the black jumper came across ok (the sound isnt the greatest)but that woman was a right auld bitch

I live in fear of cyclists as a driver to be honest.

There are three spots on my commute in and out of work where the lane I use is clearly marked as left hand turn ONLY

In each of those lanes, as I prepare to go left, I encounter at least one cyclist per junction merrily expecting to go ahead despite the road signage and my indicators.

If I turned left and injured them I'm not sure I'd not be liable.

However in the case of the video, that is appalling behaviour by the drivers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The lad in the black jumper handled the whole situation very well I reckon. And I can even partially sympathise with him as to how it all unfolded. Plenty of traffic, he was following the white van infront of him and just didn't see the cyclist. He was wrong, but it was understandable.

The woman on the other hand. Nothing short of shocking. The way she kept going, running him over was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,015 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The woman on the other hand. Nothing short of shocking. The way she kept going, running him over was insane.

I reckon she tried to leg it but found out she couldnt with the bike stopping her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Accidents happen and people do silly things but it was attitude after that took the biscuit, I mean how long did it take her to get out of the car, the guy in the black was with the cyclist seconds after he hit him. She kept saying she didn't see him and she thought she was hitting the kerb. No love you were driving over the chaps leg and bike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Possibly, POSSIBLY, as the Golf crossed the junction it momentarily blocked the Focus driver's view of the cyclist thinking he had stopped but in fact he had collided & fallen. Still though, personally I reckon from the moment she was top of the queue at the junction she lazily focussed solely on the Golf, intending to pull out as soon as he made his move "trusting" he wouldn't do so if his way (and by implication her's) wasn't clear. And so she never clocked the yellow day-glo lycra-clad cyclist from her right because frankly she never looked...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

CiniO wrote: »
    Decription from youtube video:

I can't understand why woman was pleaded not guilty.

Also interesting point that driver of black car received 6 penalty point.
    AFAIC in Ireland for causing an accident there is no penalty points - and I still can't understand why?
    You do 65 in 60 zone - 2 penalty points 80 euro
    You run over cyclist or crash into someone - no fine - just insurance implications.

Well, in general, nobody actually intends to cause an accident. Accidents usually happen at quite low speeds and are just human error, mostly. Speeding is different...the person speeding knows they are speeding 99% of the time. Points should not be given for accidents unless the driver was breaking the law/rotr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭kirving

I can understand how she didn't see the cyclist once he was on the ground, but how she didn't see the crash is beyond me. Obviously not paying attention at all, and took ages to stop after she did hit him. If she didn't see the accident, she probably would have hit the cyclist anyway!

Her attitude is the worst part though. "I didn't see you" repeated 50 times doesn't make it OK, or any less her fault. She also just sat in her car like a dope for ages rather than making sure he was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You can't excuse what the guy did but at least he owned up.

The woman's driving and her attitude afterwards is beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    In fairness the lad that hit him first seemed to admit it straight away so not sure why the cyclist had a go at him. Suppose it was just spur of the moment. The dope in the focus was trying to defend herself.

Why not have a go, admitted it or not he should have had his eyes open and then he would have no need to be given out to!
    166man wrote: »
    The ignorance and unhelpfulness of the woman in the Focus is just laughable really. Absolutely sickening, hope the cyclist was treated and paid out appropriately.

Thats fairly normal that!
    I didnt see you is supposed to make it all ok or something!
    A judge here let a girl away with killing a biker not too long ango..
    she was driving out of her boyfriends house at 7am and killed him
    Judge said in court the poor girl had suffered enough and sent her home..

cant find it now but here is another case!
    one such case>>> http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/relatives-of-biker-killed-by-driver-vent-fury-in-court-16201874.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Stheno wrote: »
    I live in fear of cyclists as a driver to be honest.

There are three spots on my commute in and out of work where the lane I use is clearly marked as left hand turn ONLY

In each of those lanes, as I prepare to go left, I encounter at least one cyclist per junction merrily expecting to go ahead despite the road signage and my indicators.

If I turned left and injured them I'm not sure I'd not be liable.

However in the case of the video, that is appalling behaviour by the drivers.

Watch you talkin bout Willis?? Seriously, you need to be aware that cyclists are entitled to go straight on. It's usually not practical for them to move to an outer lane in heavy traffic. You should check your mirrors and give way to cyclists.

goz83 wrote: »
    Well, in general, nobody actually intends to cause an accident. Accidents usually happen at quite low speeds and are just human error, mostly.
    Accidents happen at both high and low speeds, and indeed they mostly happen because of human error, but those human who cause them (drivers) are trained and testes before they are allowed to drive, so generally they shouldn't make those human errors. If they do - they should be punished.
    Speeding is different...the person speeding knows they are speeding 99% of the time.
    I doubt that. I'm sure plenty of people are speeding and commiting other road offences without even realising they did them. But they still should be punished.
    Points should not be given for accidents unless the driver was breaking the law/rotr.

But 99% of accidents happened because someone was braking the law.
    Even in video from this thread. Guy failed to give way to the cyclist - he broke the ROTR.
    Lady kept driving, even though there was obstruction on the road (cyclist) - she broke ROTR.

And it looks like this with nearly any accident.

Ninap wrote: »
    Watch you talkin bout Willis?? Seriously, you need to be aware that cyclists are entitled to go straight on. It's usually not practical for them to move to an outer lane in heavy traffic. You should check your mirrors and give way to cyclists.

What rule of the road allows this ?

What rule of the road allows this ?

Cyclists and motorcyclists
    Never put a cyclist or motorcyclist at risk and know your duty to be aware of them. They are especially vulnerable if there is a crash.

In particular, watch for cyclists and motorcyclists:

at junctions,
    where cycle tracks merge with roads,
    when you change lanes,
    when opening your door to get out of a vehicle,
    when stopping and turning, especially when making a left turn, and
    when reversing.
    The best way to take care near cyclists and motorcyclists is to use your mirrors and recheck blind spots.

Ninap wrote: »
    Cyclists and motorcyclists
    Never put a cyclist or motorcyclist at risk and know your duty to be aware of them. They are especially vulnerable if there is a crash.

In particular, watch for cyclists and motorcyclists:

at junctions,
    where cycle tracks merge with roads,
    when you change lanes,
    when opening your door to get out of a vehicle,
    when stopping and turning, especially when making a left turn, and
    when reversing.
    The best way to take care near cyclists and motorcyclists is to use your mirrors and recheck blind spots.

What rule of the road allows a cyclist to ride straight on when the road clearly indicates left turn only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Jesus!
    My bike is my main mode of transport if I've to cover any distance these days, I should really get a helmet cam.

The woman in the Focas is not only a terrible driver but an absolute tossed for the way she after afterwards.

And

Turning left

On left turns, watch out for cyclists and mopeds close to the kerb in front of you or coming up on your left. Do not overtake a cyclist as you approach a junction if you are turning left. The cyclist might be continuing straight ahead.

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Ninap, I presume you know of no rule which allows a cyclist to go straight on when the road markings clearly state, left turn only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

We were only watching that video a few weeks ago at work, chilling stuff, thought he was being run over the first time I saw it.

She's a disgrace to motorists and as a human being.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement