Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-10-2012, 20:03   #1
MANUTD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,022
Westport to Croagh Patrick

Hi All,

I'll be in Westport next weekend and weather permitting I'd like to get a chance to head up Croagh Patrick. The last time I went up was over 20 years ago.

Only issue I have is we don't our own transport. Is it difficult to get to from Westport? Is there a regular bus service, how much would a taxi cost from Westport, is there a taxi service I could call to pick us back up once we get back down?

Any feedback is much obliged.
MANUTD99 is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2012, 20:09   #2
Mickeroo
Moderator
 
Mickeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Not here
Posts: 15,192
Not sure about taxis and that but You could probably use the regular public bus: http://journeyplanner.buseireann.ie/...me_be&OK#focus
Mickeroo is offline  
17-10-2012, 20:16   #3
MANUTD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeroo View Post
Not sure about taxis and that but You could probably use the regular public bus: http://journeyplanner.buseireann.ie/...me_be&OK#focus
Do you know the stop which is closest to Croagh Patrick?
MANUTD99 is offline  
17-10-2012, 20:47   #4
Mickeroo
Moderator
 
Mickeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Not here
Posts: 15,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD99 View Post
Do you know the stop which is closest to Croagh Patrick?
Sorry I thought that link would have the timetable on it there but it's just blank. I think the bus will stop in Murrisk which is where the trail for the mountain begins.
Mickeroo is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2012, 21:12   #5
irishgeo
Registered User
 
irishgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mayo
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD99 View Post
Do you know the stop which is closest to Croagh Patrick?
the murrisk bus stop is here , just down the road from the start of the climb.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Murris...93972093707265
irishgeo is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2012, 22:04   #6
MANUTD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgeo View Post
the murrisk bus stop is here , just down the road from the start of the climb.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Murris...93972093707265
That's perfect. I can get the 450 Bus from Mill Street in Westport at 10.30am. Not got regular service coming back with only 2 buses at 17.00 & 17.20. Is there somewhere nearby to maybe have a bite to eat and a pint after the hike whilst waiting for the bus back?
MANUTD99 is offline  
17-10-2012, 22:32   #7
yop
Moderator
 
yop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mayo - Ireland
Posts: 11,914
What time are you planning on heading back at? I am heading from Westport via Murrisk on Saturday morning. How many of you is there?
yop is offline  
17-10-2012, 22:33   #8
yop
Moderator
 
yop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mayo - Ireland
Posts: 11,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD99 View Post
That's perfect. I can get the 450 Bus from Mill Street in Westport at 10.30am. Not got regular service coming back with only 2 buses at 17.00 & 17.20. Is there somewhere nearby to maybe have a bite to eat and a pint after the hike whilst waiting for the bus back?
You can eat here, http://tavernmurrisk.com/ or have a LOVELY pint in Campbells pub at the carpark.
There is also a small place for a nice coffee and a bun or sandwich just up from the carpark.
yop is offline  
17-10-2012, 22:43   #9
irishgeo
Registered User
 
irishgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mayo
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD99 View Post
That's perfect. I can get the 450 Bus from Mill Street in Westport at 10.30am. Not got regular service coming back with only 2 buses at 17.00 & 17.20. Is there somewhere nearby to maybe have a bite to eat and a pint after the hike whilst waiting for the bus back?
campbells pub should keep you fed and watered after the climb.
irishgeo is offline  
Advertisement
18-10-2012, 10:38   #10
Oldtree
Moderator
 
Oldtree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mayo
Posts: 4,800
there are a few bike hire shops in westport, this being one:

http://www.greenway.ie/Bike-Rental-01.html

and you could cycle out to Murrisk on the bikes only bit of the road between Westport and Croagh Patrick, its not that far, map of longer route here:

http://www.cycleireland.ie/routes/we...k-loop.php#map
Oldtree is offline  
18-10-2012, 12:13   #11
Mickeroo
Moderator
 
Mickeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Not here
Posts: 15,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtree View Post
there are a few bike hire shops in westport, this being one:

http://www.greenway.ie/Bike-Rental-01.html

and you could cycle out to Murrisk on the bikes only bit of the road between Westport and Croagh Patrick, its not that far, map of longer route here:

http://www.cycleireland.ie/routes/we...k-loop.php#map
Yeah if the weather is good cycling out there isn't a bad option at all.
Mickeroo is offline  
29-10-2012, 02:55   #12
MANUTD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,022
Back today from fantastic weekend.

Got the 450 bus from Mill Street at 10.30am. Took about 15 minutes and dropped right at the start on the hike.€3.60 single fair Took 1.50 minutes to reach the top with herself. Got lovely weather on the day. Lovely atmosphere about the place and good banter with the other hikers. Very friendly. Found coming down was much harder than going up.

There was only 1 bus going back at 5pm and we were in Campbells pub by 3pm(€3.70 for a pint ). Ended up ringing a cab from the pub.€12 for fair back to hotel in Westport which I found a good price.
MANUTD99 is offline  
29-10-2012, 18:40   #13
nuac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The real west.
Posts: 2,432
Glad it went well. Now you know the way,come again.
nuac is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet