Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geneva to Alpe D'Huez

Options
  • 15-10-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

In a bit of a pickle, myself and a few others have flights booked to Geneva in January but the other group that were going with have decided to goto Alpe D'Huez instead of Val Thoren. I see that its Geneva to Alpe D'Huez isn't a route that has any schedualed transfers so that means that we would have to get a private transfer (at e150+ per person) or rent a car and drive.

I suppose my main question is how difficult/expensive would it be to rent a car (presumably including chains) to get us to the Alpe D'Huez. I have a full licence for years and am middle/late 20s so getting the car shouldn't be a problem. Just the fear of writing it off could be :o

Has anybody around here have any experience of driving around the alps?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Gileadi wrote: »
    Howdy,

In a bit of a pickle, myself and a few others have flights booked to Geneva in January but the other group that were going with have decided to goto Alpe D'Huez instead of Val Thoren. I see that its Geneva to Alpe D'Huez isn't a route that has any schedualed transfers so that means that we would have to get a private transfer (at e150+ per person) or rent a car and drive.

I suppose my main question is how difficult/expensive would it be to rent a car (presumably including chains) to get us to the Alpe D'Huez. I have a full licence for years and am middle/late 20s so getting the car shouldn't be a problem. Just the fear of writing it off could be :o

Has anybody around here have any experience of driving around the alps?

Thanks!

Well i live in Norway and we are well used to driving in snowy conditions. You probably wont get chains with the car, i only ever see trucks and tractors using chains, more likely it will have proper winter tyres on it, these may or may not be studded tyres, but its unlikely you will need chains. You will be grand once you just take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Gileadi 90% of the drive will be fine just like the motorway at home, it’s the last hair pin bends up to the resort that are the hard bit. Once you get out of the nightmare that is Geneva airport.

Most, hire companies will provide snow chains; others will charge a small fee. They are a legal requirement in France when driving and you must be able to use them when the signs are up saying so. Therefore I would argue that your hire company should provide them sadly Geneva in in Switzerland and they use it as a loophole. They can be a bastard to get on at the side of a narrow hair pinned road in the driving snow & dark so best to pull into a service stop and practice before you get too close to the resort.

Check with the Hire Company if they are included. If not see what the cost is and then pick up a set in Halfords cheaper than you will get them in the Alps, where you are a captive market.

Also check that you have 2 Breathalyser Kits, and a fluorescent jacket and spare bulbs in the care also a great French requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

You should have no problem hiring a car do it through ryanair site pick a time shortly after a ryanair flight has landed and use their flight no. in the box provided. Order snow tyres then you wont need snow chains cost around 40 euro. Prepay if you can using a prepaid credit card like entropay you will need to have a normal credit card to swipe but you can make sure they dont over charge you this way. The roads will be well cleared as they are used to snow over there and unless it is snowing when you get there the roads around the resort should be fine. Pick up the breathalizer in boots before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sound bunch, I'd write them off and head for Morzine, better town, big mountain network too. Ryanair don't fly to Geneva but if you can get a deal through the Hertz link on their website it's usually the best deal. Snow chains can be hired on arrival and only necessary if the weather is harsh.

Another option would be re-route your flight to Lyon (€40) and get a transfer from there. Could be cheaper without the unnecessary stress of driving up and down mountains, especially the hare pins around Alp D'Huez.

Enjoy the sneactha!

Order snow tyres then you wont need snow chains
    Snow Chains are legally required in France on designated roads and routes. If you have snow tires or not, Police will turn you back on roads up to resorts if you do not have them and the snow chain order is in force. You have been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Did the drive in summer and it's a good long drive, I dunno what it might be like in winter. I've only taken trains/buses for snow trips, so, I don't know what it might be like to drive in.

If you are renting a car from Geneva Airport, rent it on the French side not the Swiss side. It will be about half the price on the French side BUT you need a special stricker thing to drive on Swiss motorways which won't be on the French car so you will have to buy it. The alternative is to stay off the motorway and drive through the centre of Geneva city.

Swiss road Vignette cost 40 Euro and last for a full year. Basically anyone who drives in Switzerland has to pay the full years Road tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Cheers for the advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Driving will be perfectly fine. That sounds rather expensive for a transfer though. We organise our own every year, and have never paid more than €70pp return. Take into account that you'll probably have to pay for parking once you get there too when you caluclate the car rental prices.

Try here for a quote for transfer:
    http://www.ski-transfers.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Just an update, managed to get a car (focus) for 220e for the week, with some of the additional insurances incase the worst happens. Even if the petrol and parking comes to 100 thats till 320.

Between 4 people that actually isn't bad, means we can stock up at a lidl type supermarket on the way aswell to get some staples for the week.

Only thing now is the plan to not write off the car...

Advertisement