Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M31 Revisited 13/10/12

Options
  • 14-10-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Got back out targetting Andromeda over a couple of nights without the glare of a moon in the sky. Guiding was frustratingly bad and I'd to discard a lot of subs. The 26 that I used were far from ideal but it was either use them or don't process anything at all. Better guiding would have produced a much sharper image.

I've since re-tuned my mount, allowing both axes to run much more smoothly and removed some backlash in the gears. Of course clouds have ruined any hopes of giving it a test drive.

4h20m data
    26x 600s subs
    28x darks
    25x flats
    450D CG5-GT SWED80
    Stacked in DSS, Tweaked in PS & Lightroom

8087505686_d9289a5f5b_b.jpg
    M31 Revisited 13/10/12 by .Tzetze., on Flickr

Comments

I have to say, and I've been following your sharing of photographs on this forum, that this is your best photograph yet. It's crystal clear, looks extremely sharp, and appears to be true to colour. A brilliant photo. Well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

gvn wrote: »
    I have to say, and I've been following your sharing of photographs on this forum, that this is your best photograph yet. It's crystal clear, looks extremely sharp, and appears to be true to colour. A brilliant photo. Well done. :)

Thankyou very much gvn. =]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

That really is a brilliant picture. The detail is awesome.

Hopefully, someday I might manage something even nearly as good.

How did you get on yourself Kersh, did you get a chance to get back out on Friday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

No, I never got out. It was hazy then on saturday, and cloudy last night. Hoping to get out at some stage this week if the weather plays ball.
    When I do get out, I will be sticking to a strict system this time. All exposures the same length, but at iso800. As many as I can take, and loads of darks of same exposure.

Last time I was a bit excited, hopping around the place and trying too many settings and exposure times :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Stunning.

I had a look at some of your other pics on flicker. Would like some camera advice from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Cant help of thinking that one day... maybe, that picture could be my own one... :)

Kersh wrote: »
    No, I never got out. It was hazy then on saturday, and cloudy last night. Hoping to get out at some stage this week if the weather plays ball.
    When I do get out, I will be sticking to a strict system this time. All exposures the same length, but at iso800. As many as I can take, and loads of darks of same exposure.

Last time I was a bit excited, hopping around the place and trying too many settings and exposure times biggrin.png

Hehe, it's hard to stay focused alright. I take a pair of bins out with me to satisfy the need to gawp around.

The forecast doesn't look great for the next while, but hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Stunning.

I had a look at some of your other pics on flicker. Would like some camera advice from you.

Thanks, PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Very nice shot TzeTze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

You could look at that picture all day, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Beautiful Tzetze. What guiding method are you using ? Do you use another mouted scope ? Im trying to calculate how exactly Im
    going to get a guided set up going. I think the 11 inch ota, plus camera, wedge, sub scope mounting rings, guidescope, ccd camera, dew shield, dew heater and counter weights are going to be so heavy as so be utterly unmanageable but I have nearly everything now so better give it a shot.

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Beautiful Tzetze. What guiding method are you using ? Do you use another mouted scope ? Im trying to calculate how exactly Im going to get a guided set up going. I think the 11 inch ota, plus camera, wedge, sub scope mounting rings, guidescope, ccd camera, dew shield, dew heater and counter weights are going to be so heavy as so be utterly unmanageable but I have nearly everything now so better give it a shot.

Thanks TDG. I'm piggybacking a cheap LIDL 70mm refractor as guidescope with a mono DSI-II as a guidecam. Software is PHD Guiding. I'm tempted to upgrade guidescope to something like an ST80 but not sure how much improvement I'd see, if any.

Which guidescope/cam are you thinking of? I guess you've come across the DIY webcam/finderscope mods for guiding. You'll have long setup times to look forward to now! Any plans for an obsy yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

A finder scope mod is a very good idea indeed. My scope has a well mounted 9 x 50 finderscope which could work. Most mods will kill its finding abilities but it was never good at that anyway. A telrad would be much better. I was going to use a cheap refractor too. The only ccd I have at the moment is a neximage but even modded I don't think it's sensitive enough. I'll have to try and get something like a cheap mono dsi as well. I have a shoestring interface and phd guiding. I have never even tried a polar align yet so thats next mission. Then try and get a good long exposures going. I live in quite light polluted area too so don't know what a long exposure will look like. I'd love to get working on observatory, especially as my scope has a fantastic hibernate function but I live in rented accommodation alas so no joy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Amazing Photo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

That's a super photo, my mind wonders so much when I look at these great photos.

I'd say you have really top knowledge and gear for a photo like that.
    What are all the numbers at the top of the photo?

Cheers.

robertxxx wrote: »
    That's a super photo, my mind wonders so much when I look at these great photos.

I'd say you have really top knowledge and gear for a photo like that.
    What are all the numbers at the top of the photo?

Cheers.

Thanks Robert. I have nowhere near top knowledge or gear. I still have a lot to learn yet - I'm just getting past the beginner stages tbh. The gear I use is pretty much at the low end of the spectrum for Astrophotography.

The numbers at the top of the photo are;
    4h20m data - total exposure time is 4 hours 20 minutes.
    26x 600s subs - 26 exposures each at 10 mins long (4h 20m)
    28x darks - 28 dark exposures (used to remove thermal noise generated by the camera sensor)
    25x flats - 25 calibration files (used to remove vignetting and dust caught in the light train)
    450D - Camera
    CG5-GT - Mount
    SWED80 - Scope

Tzetze wrote: »
    Thanks Robert. I have nowhere near top knowledge or gear. I still have a lot to learn yet - I'm just getting past the beginner stages tbh. The gear I use is pretty much at the low end of the spectrum for Astrophotography.

The numbers at the top of the photo are;
    4h20m data - total exposure time is 4 hours 20 minutes.
    26x 600s subs - 26 exposures each at 10 mins long (4h 20m)
    28x darks - 28 dark exposures (used to remove thermal noise generated by the camera sensor)
    25x flats - 25 calibration files (used to remove vignetting and dust caught in the light train)
    450D - Camera
    CG5-GT - Mount
    SWED80 - Scope

I am buying the motor for my cg4 mount this week, no need to postpone this anymore!

Hopefully we will get some clear skies soon.

I wanted to buy a barlow lens too but since I can't connect the camera directly to the 1.25 " adapter (on my XLT 150) I am thinking that the barlow might not work either (I can't focus to infinity when the 1.25" adaptor is connected). In all fairness I might be better of selling my telescope and buy another one if this going to be is the case before spending more money. What do you recon?

I could also just get a new scope (that shouldnt be too expensive) and use my current cg4 mount.

Bohrio wrote: »
    I am buying the motor for my cg4 mount this week, no need to postpone this anymore!

Hopefully we will get some clear skies soon.

I wanted to buy a barlow lens too but since I can't connect the camera directly to the 1.25 " adapter (on my XLT 150) I am thinking that the barlow might not work either (I can't focus to infinity when the 1.25" adaptor is connected). In all fairness I might be better of selling my telescope and buy another one if this going to be is the case before spending more money. What do you recon?

I could also just get a new scope (that shouldnt be too expensive) and use my current cg4 mount.

There's a thread on that particular scope for AP here on Cloudy Nights. A quick read through and it looks like there are T-threads in the focuser. Have you attached your T-ring directly to your focuser or are you using a T-mount?

Looks like that scope performs well enough for AP though, however you'll probably struggle with the payload on a cg4. A 5 series mount would be better. If I were you, I'd be looking at something like a HEQ5 pro synscan as an upgrade although a CG5-GT would work well enough and comes in a couple hundred quid cheaper.

There's a thread on that particular scope for AP here on Cloudy Nights. A quick read through and it looks like there are T-threads in the focuser. Have you attached your T-ring directly to your focuser or are you using a T-mount?

Looks like that scope performs well enough for AP though, however you'll probably struggle with the payload on a cg4. A 5 series mount would be better. If I were you, I'd be looking at something like a HEQ5 pro synscan as an upgrade although a CG5-GT would work well enough and comes in a couple hundred quid cheaper.

Hey Tzetze

I was actually looking at cg mounts now, CG5-6 (or HEQ if you have the money) seem to be the way to go and they are not "too" expensive. I will definetively look into it before buying the motor.

Yes, my T ring is mounted directly into the focuser (I think I got the idea from that forum) without the T-adapter so adding a barlow will force me to use the T-adaptor so I assume this is not an option. I think I will start looking at mounts and motors and see what's my best option and forget about upgrading my scope for the moment, once I get the hang of it I will go ahead and look into upgrading my telescope.

Thanks... I will keep you posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Long exposures usually have some sort of star trail due to the Earth's rotation, so you obviouslyy have good equipment to follow the sky that well. May I ask what you use?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Long exposures usually have some sort of star trail due to the Earth's rotation, so you obviouslyy have good equipment to follow the sky that well. May I ask what you use?

Well the mount is motor-driven to rotate in a 24-hour period, but even the best mounts will have some degree of periodic error from the manufacturing process. There is also star drift to contend with which is due to not getting perfect polar alignment. A combination of PE and drift will limit exposures to a couple of minutes or less. To combat this and get longer exposures you can use a dedicated guiding system. There are a few different types of system, I use a cheap LIDL scope with a camera. Used along with guiding software, this will correct the mount for any movement of the guidestar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Well the mount is motor-driven to rotate in a 24-hour period, but even the best mounts will have some degree of periodic error from the manufacturing process. There is also star drift to contend with which is due to not getting perfect polar alignment. A combination of PE and drift will limit exposures to a couple of minutes or less. To combat this and get longer exposures you can use a dedicated guiding system. There are a few different types of system, I use a cheap LIDL scope with a camera. Used along with guiding software, this will correct the mount for any movement of the guidestar.

Huh?.... so like you actually have 2 scopes then??? ... would it not be easier just doing a larger amount of shorter exposures to which DSS will then just align them up?

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Huh?.... so like you actually have 2 scopes then??? ... would it not be easier just doing a larger amount of shorter exposures to which DSS will then just align them up?

Aye, 2 scopes. Yes, it would be a lot easier as you suggest because guiding is a whole nother headache to put up with, but it's worth working on it.
    Here's the difference between 20x 120s unguided and 11x 600s guided...

6776523345_f5d1fd778b_z.jpg
    M42 27/01/12 by .Tzetze., on Flickr

8114235130_fa3bac3936_z.jpg
    M42 21/10/12 by .Tzetze., on Flickr

Advertisement