Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford Half Marathon & 10km April 21st

• 10-10-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Wexford Half marathon & 10km will take place on the 21st of April. The course has established itself as a PB course with an amazing 80% getting a PB in the Half marathon & 68% in the 10km.

This year we have a VERY early bird of €30 for the Half Marathon for 3 days at the end of Oct 29th/30th/31st. Then the early bird goes to €35 until 31st Jan. We also have an early bird for the 10km of €20 again until 31st Jan.

The 2012 survey results are up on the website click here
    This year the soup & roll will be available at the Finish area. Water bottles will be out on the course again.

To see a short video of the course click here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Hi All,

Wexford Half marathon & 10km will take place on the 21st of April. The course has established itself as a PB course with an amazing 80% getting a PB in the Half marathon & 68% in the 10km.

This year we have a VERY early bird of €30 for the Half Marathon for 3 days at the end of Oct 29th/30th/31st. Then the early bird goes to €35 until 31st Jan. We also have an early bird for the 10km of €20 again until 31st Jan.

The 2012 survey results are up on the website click here
    This year the soup & roll will be available at the Finish area. Water bottles will be out on the course again.

To see a short video of the course click here

Not being smart but I assume 80% of people in the survey got PB's and not all runners?

The 30 quid deal looks good and I think this race got good feedback this year so will have a look at it before the end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Its a fair comment.
    Roughly a quarter of the race replied. We asked the same question last year (with almost same reply rate) when it was just a half marathon and 57% got a PB. It was a very windy day that year. But the course is shealtered for the most part & Johnstown Castle takes your mind off things.
    In 2012 we had rain showers so 80% was some result...

Suppose we can't forget Garret( aka Mr Retro runner) breaking the World Record on the course too for running the half marathon backwards.

I'd say its worth a look :)

Quick reminder that the early bird of €30 for the half marathon ends tomorrow 31st Oct at midnight.
    Been a big demand on it so far.
    Thanks
    date 21st April
    www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Is it possible to see what type of times were run last year?

I'm literally just starting to run, and would like to see what the course is being run in before I decide whether to sign up or not as motivation. I live in Wexford, so its a good starter race depending on the times!!

Its probably on the website - I just can't find it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Dinkie wrote: »
    Is it possible to see what type of times were run last year?

I'm literally just starting to run, and would like to see what the course is being run in before I decide whether to sign up or not as motivation. I live in Wexford, so its a good starter race depending on the times!!

Its probably on the website - I just can't find it.

Thanks.

The link for the 2012 half marathon results.

The link for the 2012 10km results.

There is a fair spread of results there, so with a bit of training behind you between now and then, no reason why you should feel out of place in either event.

I'm going to make this my first half marathon effort. I also recently took up running, but i did two shorter races (a 10 km and a four mile race) last month. I was just as worried about average times before them too.

Maybe you could consider doing a shorter race earlier in the year to see how you're getting along and also to remove the nerves for your main event? There is a 10km in Wexford town in March, one in Enniscorthy in February. No 5kms that i can see yet, but you can give Kilmore a lash in the summer.

As you can see, i've been giving my Wexford race calendar a bit of consideration! Based in town, so you may see me out plodding round the place.

• Advertisement

Early birds finish at the end of Jan.
    10km €20 - €25
    half €35 - €40

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Early birds finish at the end of Jan.
    10km €20 - €25
    half €35 - €40

Thanks

I was on runireland today to register but it's coming in at €40 & not €35? Thanks

Apols - something funny is going on with the change of systems they had.

Use this original Active Europe link http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1150847
    It is €35 here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Hi Eoin, will ye have pacers? Hoping for a 1:35 pacer.

Looks nice though.

Thanks
    Muppet Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Hi Eoin, will ye have pacers? Hoping for a 1:35 pacer.

Looks nice though.

Thanks
    Muppet Man

Hi. I was in touch with Eoin about this and he said there are pacers for:

1.30 1.45 and 2 hours

Good luck! Should be a good one:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

Will there be km markers again this year or miles?

webpal wrote: »

km :confused:
    Really? Is that what they had last year?
    Don't like the sound of that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

part of this route runs through a park and on to a gravel path for approx 3kms .. this is hard to run on and will slow you down .. also there was a 180 deg turn in the park.. paths are narrow as well ... ok route otherwise.

webpal wrote: »

http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com/index2.php?page=half_marathon#faq
    Q . Will the course be marked in miles or kilometres?

Ans. The course is officially measured in km’s, so the marking
    on the day will also be in km’s.

It is km's

The gravel is 500 metres long (if even) and level inside the Castle grounds around the lake. The rest of the paths are tarmac.

Thanks

E

I've cried off doing some long runs in the last month (Excuses: I was doing a race. I was injured after the race. I was sick. The rest of my family were sick. Why does this stuff only happen on a weekend!?)

However i've completed the last two weeks, so feeling a bit more positive about actually getting around the course for my first half marathon. If not necessarily blazing a trail.

Looking forward to the challenge now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

part of this route runs through a park and on to a gravel path for approx 3kms .. this is hard to run on and will slow you down .. also there was a 180 deg turn in the park.. paths are narrow as well ... ok route otherwise.

Dont remember anywhere narrow on the route to be honest, did it 2 years ago and I am from there, so have ran the route a few times. The gravel is no more 500-800m and its lovely around johnstown as you see more of the running field across the lake.

Dont remember anywhere narrow on the route to be honest, did it 2 years ago and I am from there, so have ran the route a few times. The gravel is no more 500-800m and its lovely around johnstown as you see more of the running field across the lake.
    Cool. I prefer your take on it :)

Anybody else thinking of incorporating the Vinegar Hill 5 Mile Road Race next weekend into a sort-off taper?

I'm trying to talk myself into it, although I should probably avoid actually racing it. Maybe just do the five miles at HM pace (and add a 2 mile warm up and warm down:D)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Have to say I’m looking forward to this now (once I got over the shock of the steep entry cost of €42 incl booking fee :eek:) Doing this as a marker of where my time is at for Cork City Marathon, so I am hoping for 1:40 in the half marathon with an eye on 3:30 for CCM. It’s a pity there isn’t a pacer for 1:40, it would have been nice to turn the brain off and follow a pacer, but thems the breaks.

Just wondering why the course is measured in km’s? That would really throw me off if I didn’t have my GPS watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ncmc wrote: »
    Just wondering why the course is measured in km’s? That would really throw me off if I didn’t have my GPS watch.

Because it's 21.1km long!:p
    Seriously though, there's no reasons why it should be measured in miles and officially we are all part of the metric world now, i.e. roadsigns, etc.

Edit: Also probably (and more likely) because there's a 10km happening the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

belcarra wrote: »
    Seriously though, there's no reasons why it should be measured in miles and officially we are all part of the metric world now, i.e. roadsigns, etc.

OI! Some of us old folk are still set in our old ways! :pac:

You wont be celebrating much next week so! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

blockic wrote: »
    OI! Some of us old folk are still set in our old ways! :pac:

You wont be celebrating much next week so! ;)

I intend having litres of beer on Sunday afternoon while you're making do on little pints!!

ncmc wrote: »
    Have to say I’m looking forward to this now (once I got over the shock of the steep entry cost of €42 incl booking fee :eek:) Doing this as a marker of where my time is at for Cork City Marathon, so I am hoping for 1:40 in the half marathon with an eye on 3:30 for CCM. It’s a pity there isn’t a pacer for 1:40, it would have been nice to turn the brain off and follow a pacer, but thems the breaks.

I think I'll try for 1:35-ish, but I am toying with the idea of trying to hang onto the 1:30 pacers.

Despite being ancient, I am all about the kms.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

If anyone is looking for an entry to this please let me know. I have checked with the organiser and numbers can be swaped so long as he has the details before Monday 15th April and I have also checked with the mods here that it is ok to post this. I entered months ago and cannot run now unfortunately. My entry cost €37 but I'll happily give it away for €20 it anyone wants it.

Please send me a PM if interested.

Mod: Swap approval verified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Weetabix wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for an entry to this please let me know. I have checked with the organiser and numbers can be swaped so long as he has the details before Monday 15th April and I have also checked with the mods here that it is ok to post this. I entered months ago and cannot run now unfortunately. My entry cost €37 but I'll happily give it away for €20 it anyone wants it.

Please send me a PM if interested.

Mod: Swap approval verified

Is it for half or 10km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

It was for the half but I'm afraid it's been taken already.

Online entries close Monday midnight.
    Thanks

We are going to have a Dublin Reg on Wednesday in Ballyfermot 5.30pm to 7pm. This gives the Dubs a sleep in...!! I would encourage da Dubs to attend pls. Location https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=149+Ballyfermot+road&hl=en&hnear=149+Ballyfermot+Rd,+Dublin+10,+County+Dublin&t=m&z=16

You can also enter on Wed if you wish...

• Advertisement

hi eoin. can we collect numbers and chips in ballyfermot? so we can just arrive at start line ready to run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have to commend you Eoin on allowing a race number to be transferred - not many race organisers will allow it and it would encourage me to book in early knowing that someone might get use out of it if I couldn't make it.

Ososlo wrote: »
    hi eoin. can we collect numbers and chips in ballyfermot? so we can just arrive at start line ready to run?

Yes - and ur Training top.
    I'd warm up b4 the run.... :p But yes

Yes - and ur Training top.
    I'd warm up b4 the run.... :p But yes

cool! and we get a top!
    agree with dilbert that it's brilliant that you allow transfers. well impressed.
    first time to do this race and really looking forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Have to commend you Eoin on allowing a race number to be transferred - not many race organisers will allow it and it would encourage me to book in early knowing that someone might get use out of it if I couldn't make it.
    I totally agree, would make me enter a race a lot earlier if I knew I could transfer or defer my entry. I have lost out by not being able to do races before and it's annoying. I know it adds an extra bit of admin work, but once people do it in plenty of time, I think it's a great goodwill gesture. Really looking forward to this race now! Have 12 miles with 7 at HMP on Sunday and then I will take it easy for the week as a mini taper. Hopefully the legs will be nice and fresh and i'll be rearing to go!

Looks like I won't get out of Dublin until 8 am and prob not to wex til 10am! What's the registration cut off? Will parking be handy?

• Advertisement

It will be closed by then. Come to the reg in Dublin on Wednesday
    5.30 - 7pm
    Location Ballyfermot https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=149+Ballyfermot+road&hl=en&hnear=149+Ballyfermot+Rd,+Dublin+10,+County+Dublin&t=m&z=16

Looks like I won't get out of Dublin until 8 am and prob not to wex til 10am! What's the registration cut off? Will parking be handy?

Did you see Eoin's note above about a Dublin registration on Wednesday? If so you'd be well advised to try make that. Parking last year was ok but I was there at about 9.30.

Did you see Eoin's note above about a Dublin registration on Wednesday? If so you'd be well advised to try make that. Parking last year was ok but I was there at about 9.30.

Yea thanks it's just hard to get there but I will have to make it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

This might seem like a stupid question but Sunday will be my first 1/2 and I was wondering what the craic is with pacers? Never had any reason to look out for them at other races I've done so how does one go about finding the 2hr pacers on the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

They usually wear a brightly coloured top with either 2:00. 1:45 or similar on the back and a balloon overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

There appears to be a growing move for a gesture at the London Marathon to show support for those killed and injured at the Boston Marathon yesterday on twitter with the #handsoverhearts hashtag. Might be a nice gesture for people running the Wexford half and 10k to do the same???

BH-SMdNCcAEEP0o.png

We will stand in solidarity with our friends in Boston and have a minutes silence at the start of each race on Sunday.

It will be closed by then. Come to the reg in Dublin on Wednesday
    5.30 - 7pm
    Location Ballyfermot https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=149+Ballyfermot+road&hl=en&hnear=149+Ballyfermot+Rd,+Dublin+10,+County+Dublin&t=m&z=16

Just want to be clear Eoin, is it a private house that registration is in? Appears so from your link. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Ososlo wrote: »
    Just want to be clear Eoin, is it a private house that registration is in? Appears so from your link. Many thanks.

I registered there for the Wicklow Half, very handy, house on road and identified by gazebo in front garden full of technical tops and race numbers. Takes the hassle out of Sunday morning for the urban dwellers.

If anyone is considering making a weekend of it there's horse racing on Friday night and there's some class of food fair on the Quays on Saturday from 2-6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Never mind all that Dilbert, what's the food like after the race? :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

This might seem like a stupid question but Sunday will be my first 1/2 and I was wondering what the craic is with pacers? Never had any reason to look out for them at other races I've done so how does one go about finding the 2hr pacers on the morning?

I'm one of the 2hr pacers so come over and say hello. We will have balloons :)

Beef wrote: »
    Never mind all that Dilbert, what's the food like after the race? :P :)

Well last year the food was at a hotel about a mile from the finish. So I got in my car, soaked from horizontal hail, and drove home. Think this year the food is near the finish but I'm sure Eoin will be along to confirm that.

Well last year the food was at a hotel about a mile from the finish. So I got in my car, soaked from horizontal hail, and drove home. Think this year the food is near the finish but I'm sure Eoin will be along to confirm that.

Soup & a Roll voucher in the reg packs... near the finish area not the hotel.

Yup. I can confirm
    Entries still avail in reg on Fri, sat and sun.
    Sunday is subject to avail. Come early if that is ur plan.
    Final details in latest news on hme page
    www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement