Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday 11th - Wet and Windy

Options
  • 08-10-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Latest charts showing a day of rain and winds moving east across the country as a cut off low begins to take place to our East .

Showers at first in the west turning more persistent with heavier bursts at times in the East according the GFS , windy at times also.
    223567.png

GFS Ensembles showing some pretty large amounts possible but atm i'd go for about 20-25mms in the 12hr period, which could cause some minor problems in areas but nothing too serious as of yet .
    223571.png

Shall be one to watch! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

met.ie all very relaxed....
    Rain then will become widespread early on Wednesday night, with some heavy falls occurring locally. After a wet start to Thursday, rain will clear east by afternoon and the rest of the day will be mainly dry and bright, though feeling cool in fresh, westerly breezes. On Thursday night, winds will back southwesterly and showers will appear in western counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It will be interesting to see how much wind we get. This morning the amount of leaves that had fallen since yesterday. I spend Sunday clearing them and over last night there must of been some wind as all my hard work is now gone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Much wetter forecast from ME on the radio at 0755 this morning than is written/given on the ME website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Forecast for some heavy rain on the RTE News forecast this evening.Wednesday night/Thursday looks to be a washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Loads of horrible, miserable rain and winds not strong enough to make it interesting. I hate this type of weather. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

A decent storm would be nice to keep things interesting until later in the month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

A decent storm would be nice to keep things interesting until later in the month. :D

Yes, we're well overdue a decent wind event :D hopefully something will materialise before spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Tactical wrote: »
    Yes, we're well overdue a decent wind event :D hopefully something will materialise before spring.

I'm not a huge fan of wind events, but some form of adverse/extreme weather no matter what form would at least give us all something to follow and provide a break form the LRF guessing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest from Icelandic Met Office:

106ng9j.jpg

System doesn't really going until it hits the UK but that wave feature clipping the SE is still worth keeping an eye on anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Easily knowing there's little happening with the weather if this Thursday gets its own thread!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Latest GFS giving up to 40mm for Wexford Wicklow area from approx Midnight tonight to tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heres the latest from the NMM agreeing with the GFS, roughly 40mm possible in the south east but also heavy bursts in a line from Cork to Louth

223876.png

223877.png

Could a mod please change the thread title to Wednesday Night into Thursday please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Heres the latest from the NMM agreeing with the GFS, roughly 40mm possible in the south east but also heavy bursts in a line from Cork to Louth

Hmmmmm, I need a bigger gauge .....

223878.JPG

One to keep an eye on too for Next week!! :eek:

223905.png

Tomorrow doesn't look like anything too interesting really.

Thanks to the upcoming changes in the weather pattern we could on the receiving end of some lows in the near future, maybe intense ones. So at least I think we are looking at a period of wet and windy weather coming up, with the potential for some very wet/very windy days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

think we are looking at a period of wet and windy weather coming up, with the potential for some very wet/very windy days.

Covered yourself well there. :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Covered yourself well there. :D

Sure you'd be a fool not to cover yourself when its wet and windy. Could get pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Warning posted on Dublin city council website

Rainfall Warning from Met Eireann - Tuesday 10th October 2012

Following a rainfall warning from Met Eireann that heavy rain is expected tonight and in the morning in the Leinster area with 25mm to 35mm possible, Dublin City Council staff will continue to monitor the drainage network including rivers and streams. The weather alert is valid from 00:00 11-Oct-2012 until 12:00 11-Oct-2012.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Pages/Welcome/MainPage.htm#Tab0

Good warning, lots of drains will be blocked by leaves and will not be able to handle a persistent 25mm they normally could handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2348 update from Met Eireann....Rain will become widespread and heavy overnight with possibly some thundery downpours in places, with a risk of some spot flooding in eastern areas before dawn. Mist and fog in many places also. Lowest temperatures 9 to 11 C.
    hr.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The rainfall potential of this event appears to have been signficantly upgraded based on the lastest GFS and MetO fax charts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think the aftermath of the rain will be quite chilly. Though Met Eireann say 12 to 14c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

radar looks interesting atn ..mt mentioned a wave forming over Ireland.

heavy looking rain to the south

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No wind....or rain here this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My 25mm manual rain gauge is over full, my WS says we got 22mm

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Pretty much lashing here this morning for the last 30 minutes! No wind though, and showing 11c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Very heavy rain for the last few hrs here in south west laois this morning... Recorded over 22mm so far

Cork airport managed 24mm or so between 1am and 7am ( midnight and 06z)

Looks like the models had this more to the east than it actually is ... i expect "impact" here in roughly t -60 minutes ... :pac:

• Advertisement

Frankly Wexford looks like getting away Scot free from this one ( and Donegal more or less) and it may only be a fringe event in Dublin. Cork/Kerry up to the Midlands is the main soak pit. :)

There has been no wind of any note in the west either. :)

Advertisement