Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer games

Options
  • 01-10-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

right lets give a general topic a whirl then

Anyone play computer games?

I'm currently going through a bit of Pokemon, for nostalgia's sake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I bought a game for the first time in over a year the last day. Uncharted 3 so I'm wasting some time with that these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

All I play these days is retro stuff, mostly Mario games on NES and SNES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Since my PS2 broke like 2 years ago and deprived me of my favourite games of all time (Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne, Pro Evo 5/6/7, etc.), I haven't been much of a gamer (was never much of one to begin with!).

But if I do play a game now, it's seriously retro games on my laptop: GTA2, Command And Conquer: Red Alert 2, Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition...

Stuff like that. Yes, I only play violent video games. Apart from football ones. But mostly violent. Tommy Vercetti was the man. The only man who could wear a Hawaiian shirt like a boss...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I don't bother with modern games. My interest in video games has been dwindling by the day recently. If I would play something it would be Zelda, Mario or some 8/16 bit stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

In order to make this thread more LGBT orientated... Mario is not as good looking as Luigi. Discuss. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Paddy C wrote: »
    In order to make this thread more LGBT orientated... Mario is not as good looking as Luigi. Discuss. :D

Well first to the general video games topic, I'm a mario fanatic! Since the SNES days, up to New Super Mario Bros 2 at the moment. It's driving me mad trying to collect 1,000,000 coins! Mario is my guilty pleasure...:D

And on Mario vs Luigi....Luigi has that shy, tall-dark-and-handsome thing going on!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Retro games are starting to sink their claws into me as well. I find myself less and less bothered by amazing graphics "cool **** III: in HD" titles and forced uses for new technology.
    Just feck off and give me a platform game, tetris, or a vs fighter.

You lot should get second hand Nintendo DS(es). They made very good updates of games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, and they're some really nice titles like Ace Attourney and Cooking mama, that are nothing but pure good fun and no bull****.

@ Paddy
    well obviously testosterone has had a stronger effect in shaping Mario's physique since he is shorter and squarer the Luigi, who is taller and more slender. Mario would be more attractive to those who like manly men, (squarer jaw, stockier build) so long as they could over look (get it?) his shortness.
    Luigi would make a more convincing TV with his narrow shoulders, legs and rounded chin. so with Mario v Luigi it's a toss up of which kind of build you prefer in your ideal partner.
    (lol, actually it;s funny you should say, even when I was young I always used to think they made Luigi look stupid, "probably (my childhood self theorised) to make sure people know Mario is the main guy". Little did I know it was my latent homosexuality and preference to masculine features that made me notice it at all.)

Paddy C wrote: »

If you want to make this video game thread more LGBT orientated then let's discuss Link's alter ego, Xandir, from Drawn Together.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

HA! Xandir, loved Drawn Together.

At the moment on my Xbox I am playing RE4 and 5 (again), Just finished Deadlight, really good platformer on Xbox Arcade, D/l'd Trine 2 which I must get a look into that this week. Got Rayman Origins on the cheap today.
    Got Beyond Good & Evil HD too, love it!

On my 3DS I got a copy of FFIII for the DS, never played a FF game but my mate said I may like it so.....
    What did everyone think of NSMB2? I bought it on day one, finished it, enjoyed the coin rush, then, after a week, I just never went back to, kinda feel its one of the worst Marios in all of Nintys history, pretty bad, Bring me a remake of Sunshine for the 3DS please!!!!

On Luigi, I like him as much as Mario, but Mario does have that Bear thing going on, (under those overalls) yum.

Have a Wii but I only use that for the VC tbh.

Anyone getting a Wii-U in November?

/nerd-out

• Advertisement

It must be the most under rated adult cartoon ever. Apparently Pac man is a crossdresser as Mr and Ms Pac man are one and the same. :D I bet most people on boards have Netflix but never bothered to check it out. That show had at least another two seasons in it.
    I got NSMB 2 well over a month ago but I'm only half way through. I already played the other two NSMB games and I got a pleasant, but slightly disappointing, sense of deja vu with this game. Nintendo really need to resurrect F-Zero, Star Fox and Super Mario RPG. Luigi will be starring in his own game for the 3DS next year. It will be a sequel to Luigi's Mansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Games these days just seem to have lost their appeal to me. I like to really get into a game, as in the OCD takes over, and I must get 100% completion... This is still possible with genuinely FUN games like Zelda and the likes. However, something like Elder Scrolls actually just takes over your life... I find the Nintendo games and even something like Fable more appealing than Skyrim. You may call this me being nostalgia, but games are more fun when they aren't such a chore!

Azure_sky wrote: »
    It must be the most under rated adult cartoon ever. Apparently Pac man is a crossdresser as Mr and Ms Pac man are one and the same. :D I bet most people on boards have Netflix but never bothered to check it out. That show had at least another two seasons in it.

Totally getting this show again tonight!!!!
    Azure_sky wrote: »
    I got NSMB 2 well over a month ago but I'm only half way through. I already played the other two NSMB games and I got a pleasant, but slightly disappointing, sense of deja vu with this game. Nintendo really need to resurrect F-Zero, Star Fox and Super Mario RPG. Luigi will be starring in his own game for the 3DS next year. It will be a sequel to Luigi's Mansion.

Yeah its not out till summer 2013 now, been pushed forward since 3ds launch, looking for to it tho. Paper Mario is out near xmas and Epic Micky is out 18th Nov, thats my next buy.
    I have a feeling Ninty will bring back alot of franchises with the next system. Enough with mario kart! lol

You should keep an eye on http://nintendo3dsblog.com/ updated every day with news on 3DS games, and also Nintendoworldreport.com awesome buch of lads running that place.
    Davyhal wrote: »
    Games these days just seem to have lost their appeal to me. I like to really get into a game, as in the OCD takes over, and I must get 100% completion... This is still possible with genuinely FUN games like Zelda and the likes. However, something like Elder Scrolls actually just takes over your life... I find the Nintendo games and even something like Fable more appealing than Skyrim. You may call this me being nostalgia, but games are more fun when they aren't such a chore!

Totally agree, Mass effect, I feel like I am the only gaymer(:pac:) who does not like this game, every time I start it it feels to me like a chore, and people seem to get pissed at me if I say, nah didnt get into it, weird.

Has anyone played the RE6 demo? What ya think of it?

Games \o/

Drawn Together, one of my favourite series of all times. Have the boxset and the movie, and I find almost every line to be quoteable.... The Lemon Aids Walk and the episode where they act out what would happen if Xandir came out to his family are by far my 2 favourite episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I always hated that guy (the games dude from drawn together).

Gay friendly games, anyone play one?

Mass effect 2 there is the option for a Lesbian love interest, not so for the guy though (not sexist, it's just the way the storyline goes)
    Games like Fable and the Elder scrolls titles usually have unfixed orientation (chatting up enough same sex NPC will tell the game your ornamentation and it adapts).

I have yet to meet a Gay character or couple, properly in a TRPG though, (as in not a free roaming sandbox Do-it-yourself RPG like Elderscrolls or Fable)

Except for the occasional outrageously feminine character with "special friendships" with equally outrageously feminine characters such as the "very good friends" Simone Verdricci and Vincent de Boule in Suikoden II
    http://suikoden.wikia.com/wiki/Simone_Verdricci

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well seen as we're all into our retro games and such - Birdo from the Mario games is either a trans woman or cis male depending on who you ask, and if it's the latter that puts them and Yoshi in a gay relationship.

Ah, IGN have an article on it.

I feel very strange talking about the implied sex lives of 8-bit dinosaurs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm a big retro gamer, I collect systems and games. Nerd alert! :D

As for gay friendly games, I used I love playing the Sims and making them all gay! If you had a gay couple who were really in love a social worker used to come and ask if you wanted to adopt a baby!!!

Fave games in general though are probably the Mario games, the sonic games, and civilisation revolution. Awesome.

I always got a lesbian feel about Samus in the Metroid series, but I don't think her sexuality is ever elaborated on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I have a special joystick.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can't say I agree with the nostalgic notion that games were better in the old days all the time. The likes of Mass Effect, Arkham Asylum/City, Skyrim, Portal 2, Bioshock series, etc show there's still plenty of excellent titles out there that can be very immersive. Some aren't maybe as easy to pick up and play but I find they can be more rewarding ultimately.
    Mass effect 2 there is the option for a Lesbian love interest, not so for the guy though (not sexist, it's just the way the storyline goes)
    Mass Effect 3 allows a man-man love interest and I very quickly dumped all previous love interests to pursue it! Gloriously cheesy it was too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The extent of modern gaming in my house is repetitive strain injuries in conjunction with the Wii fit. Otherwise I crack out the Sega emulator and play a few retro games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I don't have the time at the moment but I've always been a pretty big gamer. Been modding the hell out of Skyrim recently. I'm an RPG fan, and if I'm feeling retro I go for old point'n'click adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm on the hunt for a good space-sim at the moment. Started when I played FTL: Faster Than Light a few weeks ago. Great little spaceship simulator with an arcade feel to it... but I wanted more.

Had a look at X3: Terran Conflict. Interesting but sllllooowww. Might pick it up again when I have a free week. Currently playing some Freespace 2, with the 'Open' mods and enhancements. Seems pretty good, but not quite what I was looking for.

Really I want a game that lets me control a fleet of starships. Micro-managing specific ships and crew, or issue orders for AI to manage others. Like a mash-up of FTL and something like Civilization. I'm not sure it exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Goodshape, have you tried Ascendency? More about controlling an empire and subsystems, but you have to manage individual ships and their refits. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Gay friendly games/game series off the top of my head:

The Sims (obv)
    Skyrim
    Fable
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age

Bioware "romance option" characters tend to have specific orientations - most other games, your character is just such a pimp that none can resist their mighty woo. Knights of the Old Republic sort of almost kinda had the first non-straight character in the entire Star Wars universe.

The two women featured in Fear Effect were, we were told, lovers, but that wasn't really borne out in the game in any way. More egregiously, one of the God of War games has a spectacularly male gazy bit of girl on girl during one scene featuring Aphrodite and her handmaidens.

The SimCopter controversy is worth a read if you're not familiar with it.

There's a bit of debate over the intended interpretation of Fang and Vanille's relationship in FFXIII, but honestly, I'm not sure how else you could possibly interpret it than a romance given how it concludes, and I'm told it's even less ambiguous in the original Japanese scripting. Fang was initially intended to be a male character, and that might have something to do with it, but it does blow my mind when anybody describes their dynamic as "sisterly."

And then of course, I've yet to finish GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony, but when I worked in a videogame shop, I did greatly enjoy watching slightly squirmy customers ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Davyhal wrote: »
    I agree there that games these days feel more boring but only because 80% are the same look a like shooters.
    I've gone off games a lot in recent years but I do really like uncharted. It's like playing a movie and the story/setting is fantastic.

Need to pick up GT5. Used to be great for the car games and I love them, don't know why I stopped.

Great to see all the gay gamers on here! Brings a geek smile to my face :-)

Started to play FFIII on the DS last night, never played a FF game as I am not too into RPG's, but I liked it, played for an couple hours, died, then realised I never quicksaved! now I have to start all over again tonight.

Yeah Skyrim have gay relationships in there dont they, you can meet a guy, marry, adopt kids, raise them. Most of the gaming world welcomed it when it happened so you will prob see a hell of a lot more gay characters in the next Generation of systems, mainly from EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

128965028124670227.jpg

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Hahaha! Nice to know even in off topic conversations, the LGBT's keep it sexy! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Well Tekken has a character with an ambiguous gender and/or sexuality. The makers are deliberately keeping it ambiguous for some reason.
    Wallpaper_Tekken__Leo_by_shirotsuki_hack.jpg

I LOVE TEKKEN!

Advertisement