Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JTPB

jameshayes wrote: »
    The logs in Aldi are 35% water content. Wasted my money buying a bag of them

Me too, between 35% & 40% water content so stuck with two useless bags of them.
    I cut trees a few months ago which already have a lower reading than that.

Aldi logs to be avoided.

Me too.
    Bought these "Alio" wooden logs in Aldi in Parnell Street, Dublin 1. They simply would not light, with firelighters, even using those peat "instant fire" type firelogs as firelighters. They felt damp to the touch, as if they had been out in a long downpour a week previously.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24290.htm

seems to be a bad deal, hopefully they will have better wooden logs next year.

(BTW, their Alio coal fire packs, same brand, seemed fine. They were in a waterproof bag, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Me too, between 35% & 40% water content so stuck with two useless bags of them.
    I cut trees a few months ago which already have a lower reading than that.

Aldi logs to be avoided.

Yeah same as me, cut down 2 trees a month ago and the logs from that are in and around 30% ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

ABS Building Supplies Bluebell selling 40kg bag black diamond smokeless coal for 13.50 a bag

seen their add here http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4173944

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Can this be used in an open fire and does there be much embers left after it . How does it compare with polish coal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

ABS Building Supplies Bluebell selling 40kg bag black diamond smokeless coal for 13.50 a bag

People might want to note that these are nuggets/coal briquettes and not regular smokeless coal. Nuggets are cheaper but 13.50 does seem a good price, especially for Dublin.
    Can this be used in an open fire and does there be much embers left after it . How does it compare with polish coal

"Ecobrite is a compact, slow burning, smokeless fuel for cookers, stoves and room heaters." That's taken from Arigna Fuels website. I've never heard of anyone using it an open fire and I doubt it would burn well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cosyglo is the open fire version of ecobrite.

Union nuggets are compressed lignite around the same energy as peat briquettes 19MJ/kg and lots of ash.

So that 13.50 is really about 20.00 compared with quality coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

It also says on the arigna site that it can be used in open fires but may not burn down completely. After a bit of experimenting we now start the fire with cozyglow and top it up with ecobrite this heats the backboiler much better than just cozyglow or eco brite on its own. We throw on a few briquettes towards the end of the night to burn away all the bits that would otherwise be left behind from the ecobrite.
    I prefer this to polish coal, its a cleaner fuel and if you heap it up it burns for ages, doesnt spit or send huge flames up the chimney.
    Last night put on fire at 7 and by 9, 8 rads, 3 of which are doubles, were pretty warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Hi,
    Getting fuel at decent price in Dublin is a pain. Found
    http://kiltimonecofuels.com/products.html and ordered 5 x 1 ton logs in conjunction with my neighbor. Cost 62 per ton, delivery free and some eco logs and kindling thrown in. Logs dry as anything, great size as neither too big nor too small and it is 110 cheaper per ton than ones I saw locally in a mulch centre. Delivery free if u order over 100 euro and their service and fuel excellent:-))

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Hi,
    http://kiltimonecofuels.com/products.html and ordered 5 x 1 ton logs in conjunction with my neighbor. Cost 62 per ton, delivery free and some eco logs and kindling thrown in. Logs dry as anything, great size as neither too big nor too small and it is 110 cheaper per ton than ones I saw locally in a mulch centre. Delivery free if u order over 100 euro and their service and fuel excellent:-))

Ton bag = 1m3 bag.
    1m3 bulk chopped logs on the other hand is more like 0.5m3 of timber.
    Which would be 250kg - 350kg depending on the type of wood - willow to oak.
    Air dried thats about 16MJ/kg.
    Thats equal to 142kg - 200kg of quality polish coal 4-5 bags.

1m3 of stacked chopped logs is as much as 0.8m3 of timber.
    Stacked logs would be equal to 227kg to 320kg or 6-8 bags of polish coal.

Explains the variance in price in most of these places.

Actually hadn't taken into account the spruces and cedar which are as little as little as 390kg/m3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

W123-80's wrote: »
    The Buy Lo store in the retail park on the Naas Road are selling 40kg bags of Bord Na Mona Coal for €11.99 per bag. (Same retail Park that has Homebase)

I just bought 2 bags. Can't comment on the quality yet, only after putting on a fire.!
    They also had 40kg Black Diamond coal at €16.99, so not sure what the difference in quality is.
    is that the royal liver centre store

horse7 wrote: »
    how much is the 40kg coal in the hardware in dunboyne?
    checked it out,and its 15.50 a 40 kg bag diamond label

€11.99 a bag in buy lo? might have to look into that... used the €13.50 bags i got in ABS Building Supplies and in fairness i couldnt complain at all got another 6 today

paddy147 wrote: »
    14 euro 50 cents for a 40kg bag of Polish Premium in most of the builders providers.;):)
    as in say chadwicks glasnevin, could you name some near blanchardstown.

Blured wrote: »
    Friend of mine works there, it's 15.50 for 40kgs of the good Bord Na Mona stuff and if you buy 5 bags you get a 40kg slack free with it
    you sure about the free bag, theres nothing on the price board outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

horse7 wrote: »
    as in say chadwicks glasnevin, could you name some near blanchardstown.

Any Chadwicks or Heiton Buckleys builders providers.:)

buy low is out of stock this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Hi,

Are these hardwood logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jameshayes wrote: »
    The logs in Aldi are 35% water content. Wasted my money buying a bag of them

Just checked the logs in Lidl they are selling - 30% content - also useless.

Well has anyone else tried out the €13.50 coal from that place in bluebell?

• Advertisement

buy low no longer selling the bnm coal(11.99) 40kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

Any good solid fuel deals inc delivery for Galway?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

mickydcork wrote: »
    Are these hardwood logs?

just onto Kiltimon - the e70 per ton price is for dried softwood

it's an extra e20 per ton for kiln dried hard wood.
    for me - 4 ton of hard wood for e350 delivered in leinster with extras too.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

karltimber wrote: »
    just onto Kiltimon - the e70 per ton price is for dried softwood

it's an extra e20 per ton for kiln dried hard wood.
    for me - 4 ton of hard wood for e350 delivered in leinster with extras too.

k

€90 per tonne BAG is certainly not a bargain alert.

Also - A tonne bag is not = tonne of logs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SnowDrifts wrote: »

+1

and

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Just interested by what you mean by which. It's not a tonne weight is it? What would be a good price for kiln dried hard woods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Just interested by what you mean by which. It's not a tonne weight is it? What would be a good price for kiln dried hard woods?

First - "a tonne bag" is just the name put on the bag in which the logs are delivered in. The weight of the logs is not a tonne.

Second - Don't waste your money on kiln dried logs.

Third - Look to get well seasoned hard wood logs. That means, they must be let season for approx. 2 years (depending on the wood) after they have been cut. A good price for a "tonne bag" of the above, would be €50-60.

*Edit* The reason I think kiln dried logs are a waste of money is because they burn too quickly and your paying an extra premium for this privilege. Also, I have found that seasoned logs with a moisture content of 20% tends to be the perfect number.

I have been keeping my eye on this thread for a couple of days and haven't seen even one usable bargain alert... Winter is approaching and I love a good (bargain) hardwood fire!

surely €13.50 for a 40kg bag of coal is a usable bargain vince, no?

• Advertisement

It would be if you're looking for coal.

I prefer the way wood burns and the way it sounds when it does.

Advertisement