Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice & Questions for buying/using Nikon Crop Sensor DSLR Cameras

Options
  • 20-09-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello Friends,

I have Nikon D3000 with kit lens.I'm planning for Nikon 50mm f/1.8...!! But a new confusion with me is that...there are 2 types of Nikon 50mm 1.8. which says
    ~"Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF Lens"
    and
    ~ "Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8 G Lens"
    Wondering which will suit my D3000 Nikon..!! Shop dealer says G lens will go with D3000.As G lens does not have AF...??
    Do reply...!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should also look at the 35mm f1.8; it's closer to a standard lens on your camera, and is slightly more versatile as a result - the 50mm is a short telephoto on your camera.

but the G would be the one to go for on your camera, if you go for the 50mm - the D would not offer autofocus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

For a D3000 you need the AF-S (auto focus) lenses, in this case the G version.

As mentioned above - the 35mm f 1.8G might be a better choice. I find the 50mm a bit tight, particularly indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Get the G lens http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f18-g.htm

The D lens will fit your D3000 but you will lose autofocus.

Have a look at the 35mm 1.8 http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm It was the first prime I purchased for my Nikon D3100.

Hello Friends,

I have Nikon D3000 with kit lens.I'm planning for Nikon 50mm f/1.8...!! But a new confusion with me is that...there are 2 types of Nikon 50mm 1.8. which says
    ~"Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF Lens"
    and
    ~ "Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8 G Lens"
    Wondering which will suit my D3000 Nikon..!! Shop dealer says G lens will go with D3000.As G lens does not have AF...??
    Do reply...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

the D designation simply means the lens sends focus distance info back to the camera to help with metering (mainly flash)
    the G designation (also has the 'D' distance info sent back) has no aperture ring, it is controlled by the camera body controls

as previously said, for your camera to autofocus the lens must have the AF-S designation (whether it's G or D is not crucial, as there are some AF-S 'D' lenses) just be sure it has AF-S.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

we have decided to split the tech threads into different threads, as it was a bit difficult to find info in the one large thread. think needle in a haystack!

this thread is for all questions relating to NIKON crop sensor dslr cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Hi all ,my friend has a Nikon D40 and is looking for an adaptor to use other lenses IE a Minolta lens
    is this something that can be gotten?

Thanks in advance
    TD

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Thanks a million. Appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be aware that adapting often limits the usable range, my minolta beercan can't forcus at the infinity end of the scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/pb-nikf-pro

I'm looking into this for using practica lenses on a Nikon camera. Has anyone tried these adapter lens plates?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement