Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice & Questions for buying/using Canon Full Frame Sensor DSLR Cameras

• 26-09-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

we have decided to split the tech threads into different threads, as it was a bit difficult to find info in the one large thread. think needle in a haystack!

this thread is for all questions relating to CANON full frame sensor dslr cameras.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Morning all.

I have had my Canon 5D MKII since a December 2008... I was one of the first (so i have been told) to get my hands on one... Since then, i love the camera, but, its getting a little old, and i am starting to look elsewhere... mainly at the 6D.

So, am i mad in looking at swapping from a 5DMKII to a 6D? The things i want are:
    • Wifi
    • GPS
    • Smaller

Given i cant make the 5DMKII smaller without removing the battery grip, and adding Wifi and GPS would cost quite a lot (Wifi grip for the 5D is 800EUR give or take), would moving to a 6D be an idea? anyone tried one yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Out of curiosity, why would you want or need GPS or for that matter WIFI in the camera??

Unless you do events where you are far away from the PC station on a regular basis, what would the need for WIFI be at present??

I'm just curious really as it wasn't put in either of the 5DMkIII or 1DX so the cynic in me presumes if it's in a prosumer camera then it's just a gimmick to make sales??? Am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

<snip>

@Ballyman: why GPS and Wifi? I geotag all my photos currently, so i can see where they where taken, and can see photos from different times around the year of the same place... at the moment, its a manual task using either an external GPS or iPhone.

As for Wifi, if i am reading all the info online correctly, it can be used for tethered shooting and also shooting remotely using your phone. If i can take a shot, and wirelessly send it to an iPad for review, before leaving the scene, it allows me to make sure i got the shot correctly... Also, if done correctly, it allows for constant shooting to an external device, so you have at least 2 copies of your shots, one on a laptop/table, one on SD card. If the laptop/table does offloading to "the cloud" (dropbox, iCloud, etc), and you have the bandwidth, then the photos are at home before you are, so your photos are in even more places...

Yes, i can see it as a gimmick, but think about it. camera phones have had these abilities for years now, some new smaller cameras are getting this ability (see the Samsung Android powered phone), so DSLRs getting the tech is justified... Plus it does save EUR800 instead of buying the wifi add-on for your 5D...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 agata71321

I have canon 60d and I am werry happy with use this camera without wifi or gps. I recomended good camera, good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

lol.... reply to over 2 years old post! Yeah, lets wake up that dead horse :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement