Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 Accessories

Options
  • 22-09-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen covers/cases & screen protectors in any stores in Ireland yet?

Were there any apple lightning adaptors in the Belfast store? Either 30-pin or micro usb?

Going to need a few of the adaptors so would prefer to buy a few 3rd party versions than dropping €100+ on a few originals.

Thanks,

Sean

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I bought my screen protectors on eBay.
    Bought bumper cases on deal extreme.

Rang around a few shops in town today and none had anything for the 5 until next week at the earliest.

At the moment eBay has cases, bumpers and screen protectors.
    Lightning to 30 pin: I haven't seen any cheap versions yet but I'll wait and buy spares when there on eBay or adverts. Not paying apple prices for one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Good to know - Gal in Three said they had covers and screen protectors arriving on Thursday......

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Compu b said they should be getting them in on Friday. I bought a cheap case from eBay so it won't get scratched before I get a nice case on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Cases in Irish stores are sold at ripoff prices. eBay all the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pythia wrote: »
    Compu b said they should be getting them in on Friday. I bought a cheap case from eBay so it won't get scratched before I get a nice case on it.

If it's covered then what does it matter if it's scratched?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Compub (Limerick) told me that they dont expect cases to arrive for months. The providers will serve US & UK first, then the stock will trickle down to suppliers like CompuB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I bought a case of Proporta for the 5. I was looking for something similar to what I have and I got a rear case and screen protector. I tried the ebay cases before but always found them too cheaply made. Same with screen protectors. I'd go premium there is a noticeable difference.

Also order sim adapters from ebay. A set of 3 to adapt from nano-micro, micro-mini sim and nano-mini sim. Just in case I might need it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

murpho999 wrote: »

Resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Putting an ugly chunky cover on it reminds me of the tendency for lads to leave the plastic on their new car seats back in the 1980's!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    Resale value.

Just give them a free cover! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Normally I don't like covers on phones, especially ones this thin, but this phone needs it. My 4 tumbled maybe 2 inches on my bed last night onto the side of my macbook pro and now it's got a mark in the side! It wasn't even that hard a fall! The iPhone 5 really needs a case!

Plus I always "recycle" my phones with O2 and if there is any cosmetic damage that's 10% less you'll get.

Any ideas on good looking cases that won't add too much bulk?

I'm thinking the NUDE case which still shows off the phone.

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/NUDE_iPhone5

Elessar wrote: »
    Normally I don't like covers on phones, especially ones this thin, but this phone needs it. My 4 tumbled maybe 2 inches on my bed last night onto the side of my macbook pro and now it's got a mark in the side! It wasn't even that hard a fall! The iPhone 5 really needs a case!

Plus I always "recycle" my phones with O2 and if there is any cosmetic damage that's 10% less you'll get.

I bought one of these to do me until i decide if i want a full cover or not - http://dx.com/p/protective-bumper-frame-for-iphone-5-blue-154684?item=2
    That nude one looks ok, gona look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Thank you!! I was trying to think of the name of that website for ages and it doesn't show up in google search!

Personally though, I think I'll just get a bumper for mine..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Interesting article on why you supposedly won't need a case:

http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why-apple-is-killing-off-the-bumper-and-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

That said, while your screen is less likely to smash, it seems the body is very prone to scratching. So if don't want your device with the rat-look after a couple of drops, a case is still in order.

I'll be getting a 3rd party bumper methinks. The one on my 4 has saved me on many an occasion.

Dades wrote: »
    I'll be getting a 3rd party bumper methinks. The one on my 4 has saved me on many an occasion.

Same Here.

Just ordered a black one with clear sides from eBay here. No messing.

About €7.50 delivered and coming from the UK won't be too long arriving. Just need an iPhone to protect with it!

I just bought a couple of bumpers, some screen protectors and a 30 pin adaptor from eBay.. The adaptor only worked out at €10 including p+p! Much better than the €30 Apple are looking for!

I bought the purple version of your one Dades ^^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Anybody got one of these for the 4/4S? Interested in knowing whether there is some lip on the screen side of the phone (i.e. if you place it face down, will the screen be in contact with the desk).

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

mitsybaby wrote: »
    I just bought a couple of bumpers, some screen protectors and a 30 pin adaptor from eBay.. The adaptor only worked out at €10 including p+p! Much better than the €30 Apple are looking for!

I bought the purple version of your one Dades ^^ :)

Link for adaptor plz?

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Link for adaptor plz?

+5

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

murpho999 wrote: »

Exactly, resale. If I sold it, my buyer may not want to put a case it on!

mitsybaby wrote: »

Cheers. I was thinking you only PRE-ordered them off eBay.

Not available yet.

I bought a clear cover earlier. Like others all i need is an iPhone 5 now :D

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Not available yet.

Im the opposite, i have the phone, and all i need is a cover :D

Not available yet.

No harm in being prepared!! Lol.. :p

kceire wrote: »
    Im the opposite, i have the phone, and all i need is a cover :D

I think I would prefer to be in your position to be honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Tazium

Perusing the usual blogs this morning, hit on this article on Gizmodo. http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third+party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

"If you bought yourself an iPhone 5, and are looking for a cheap, third-party lightning adapter to save a couple of bucks, you might want to hold off. There's an authenticator chip in the official adapters, and third-party adapters probably won't work without it."

Potentially, 3rd party adapters may not work. So it's just an FYI for you guys grabbing the less expensive ones.

Tazium wrote: »
    Perusing the usual blogs this morning, hit on this article on Gizmodo. http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third+party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

"If you bought yourself an iPhone 5, and are looking for a cheap, third-party lightning adapter to save a couple of bucks, you might want to hold off. There's an authenticator chip in the official adapters, and third-party adapters probably won't work without it."

Potentially, 3rd party adapters may not work. So it's just an FYI for you guys grabbing the less expensive ones.

That will be a bummer :(
    I'll believe it when i see it though, hopefully one of the guys above will report back on the ebay items.

I've bought third party stuff before only to be foiled by the lack of chip.

I think I'll wait to hear first before taking the plunge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Tazium wrote: »

Bah, thanks for the heads up though.

Advertisement