Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 38: Pomegranate Sriracha Mint Chicken Wings

Options
  • 20-09-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I usually serve a big bowl of chicken wings on the weekends. There's always a bottle of good ol' reliable Frank's in the larder, but occasionally I'd hunt for new exciting combination of flavours to try.
    Love Sriracha. Love mint. Pomegranate was a strange addition, so I thought I'd give it a go. As it turned out, the sticky coating sauce subtly compliments the moorish spice-rubbed wings.
    You can find the original recipe from Aarti Party here. There's a good bit of work that goes in this, along with a long list of ingredients, but don't be put off by them. I couldn't get my hands on the key ingredient pomegranate molasses (apparently they're available in Middle Eastern stores but I had no luck) so I've also included a recipe for a homemade one, and it's dead easy.

U]Spice-rubbed Wings[/U
    2 pounds chicken wings
    2 tbsp coriander seeds
    1 generous tbsp cumin seeds
    1 generous tbsp cracked black peppercorns
    1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, or seeds from 16 green cardamom pods
    2 tbsp dry mustard
    1 generous tbsp salt
    Oil for brushing or non-stick spray

[Sauce]
    3 tbsp rapeseed oil or other neutral oil; avoid using olive oil
    8 cloves garlic, smashed
    1/4 cup pomegranate molasses**
    (recipe below)
    1 1/2 tbsp Sriracha
    (this only gives a subtle heat, so feel free to add more if you fancy that extra punch)
    1 small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked
    4 tbsp butter
    2 tsp lemon juice
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

**[ Pomegranate molasses]
    4 cup pomegranate juice
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 tbsp lemon juice

031_zps01df00f8.jpg
    *The jar on front right is the homemade molasses

Method:
    If you can get the pomegranate molasses, great. Otherwise, you need to make this first before anything else.

*Pomegranate molasses*
    • Combine the pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved.
    • Once the sugar has dissolved, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the mixture has reduced to 1 cup, approximately 80-90 minutes.
    • Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the saucepan for 30 minutes, as this will thicken the liquid into molasses.
    • Transfer to a glass jar and allow to cool completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
    030_zpsd83e9afe.jpg

*Wings*
    • Disjoint the wings into three and discard the tips (or keep it for making stock).
    • Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel; It’s vital that you DON’T SKIP THIS STEP! This will both help the rub adhere and ensure crispy skin.
    • In a pan, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cracked black peppercorns and cardamom seeds. Toast it lightly until fragrant.
    • Pour the spices into a grinder and blitz them to a fine powder.
    • Transfer the ground spice mixture into a small bowl and add the mustard and salt. Combine well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture for the sauce.
    • Place the wings in a large bowl and add remaining spice mixture; toss to coat the wings well. Let them sit for about at least an hour.
    • About 15 minutes before you're ready to bake, preheat your oven to 190C. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack and brush the rack with oil or cooking spray. Place the wings on the prepared rack at an even distance from each other.
    • Pop into the oven for about 45 minutes, flipping the wings over halfway through, and rotating the baking sheet for even cooking.
    037_zps3012276f.jpg032_zps0dbc9e38.jpg
    033_zpscc87007e.jpg034_zps55a2030b.jpg
    035_zpsb358f2b6.jpg038_zpsc7153d60.jpg
    040_zpsf1ed8e4c.jpg

*Sauce*
    • As the wings are roasting away, make the sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the rapeseed oil until shimmering.
    • Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.Then add the reserved 2 tablespoons spice blend and cook another 30 seconds.
    • Stir in the pomegranate molasses, Sriracha and mint leaves. Cook for about 5 minutes, and then finish with the butter and lemon juice. Stir, taste for seasoning and set aside off the heat.
    • When the wings are done, put the sauce through a sieve over a bowl, squeezing every drop with the back of a ladle. It might not look much but it’s actually enough to coat 2lbs of wings. But if need be, thin the sauce with a few teaspoons of water.
    043_zps1dcc7e41.jpg045_zpsed356955.jpg
    050_zps5e23ce21.jpg052_zps760eb309.jpg

• Toss the wings with the sticky sauce. Serve immediately.
    057_zpsacc76483.jpg

Enjoy!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have never heard of a stranger combination of ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Faith wrote: »
    I have never heard of a stranger combination of ingredients.

I've come across worse :D

Advertisement