Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands wanted for monthly gigs in North Dublin Venue.

Options
  • 19-09-2012 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey!
    Myself and a friend are planning on running a monthly night in the Clontarf Yacht and Boat Club for local bands of all genres. Basically the idea is to have 3 bands on a particular night each playing 45 minute sets. There will be a €5 cover charge and the bands will take their share of the door after their first 10 people. (venue costs 150 to hire). There will be no money handed over up front and if the band does not get 10+ people they will not have to pay the difference out of their own money (but they probably will not get a chance to play again!) Plus, who wants to play a gig in front of just a handful of people right??

The venue itself has played host to many a gig and is very popular in the Dublin blues scene being frequented by the likes of; The Business, The Houseshakers, The Heavyweights, Philip Donnelly, Jimmy Faulkner etc. It has also been the venue for Near FM’s live blues recordings two years running. Also, as it is a club, the bar is cheaper than your average venue. Win win!! Tell your friends!!

We hope to have the debut gig in November so if you think yourself or your band would be interested in playing then send me a link to your music and some details about yourselves.

Bands or singer/songwriters accepted. Covers or originals.
    Strictly over 18’s.

http://www.cybc.ie/contact_us.html
    (please do not contact the bar directly!!)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭united62

Hi there I am looking after a new band we have a 45 set of originals we are currently putting recording to gether,we have gigged in the past king kong klub,sugar club slaughtered lamb swords a number of times we have recently re formed and are now called Galloping Majors we would be really interested in playing cheers john

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Is a backline provided ?

Not sure about kit just yet. Have one but it is in pretty bad nick. But we have guitar and bass amps aswell as full PA at the moment.

P.M. sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 THE GALLOPING MAJOR

Take a look at this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/qfnWhVwNN4M

Hi here is a rough recording of our rehearsal we havw a 40 min set apologies for poor vocal our pa is not strong keep us in mind for your gigs cheers John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

What gigs have you put on before?
    Why do the bands have to bring the crowd your the promoter thats your job?
    How can bands be sure how many people show up for them and that your not just spoofing them about having 10 or less?

Not trying to ruin this thread, but as a gig organizer/promoter it is your job to

A. Promote the gig

B. Get a crowd through promotion of the event and

C. make sure that there are bands there on the night to entertain the crowd.

The amount of "gig promoters" that have come through this thread offering exactly what your offering is beyond measure at this point. Your the promoter so go PROMOTE IT!

And incase you go looking up threads i've had on this yes I promised the same thing and got screwed money wise and ended up having bands pissed at me. So i'll hold my hands up to that thats why i'm not in this business anymore couldn't deal with the stress of it.

I am not a band promoter. I work in a bar that is on its last legs. Just trying to do my best to keep my job for one more year so as it can get me through college. I have not put on gigs before but I know that this bar is a great venue and have seen many blues bands play in it. Having said that I, I have been in a band for many years and have dealt with the ****e "promoters" that take advantage of bands which is why there is no pay to play deal going on here. I have already stated that a band needs to bring 10 people just to cover the cost of the room rental but that if they do not get it they wont have to pay out of their own pocket. At the end of the day, if only 20 people turn up, it will be better than the 8 people who were in the bar last weekend! And bands who cant get a gig in town or cant afford a gig in town would have a chance to bring their mates to see them play relatively cheaply AND have a chance of taking home a bit of pocket money.

Not sure what your agenda is coming onto this thread but if you are not interested in the gig then there is no need for you to comment.

PTO wrote: »

Not sure what your agenda is coming onto this thread but if you are not interested in the gig then there is no need for you to comment.

Don't have a agenda, but usually when running a event you promote the event. Simple as its the way the cookie crumbles all that jazz, not trying to hijack this but your saying what alot of promoters have said before.

How can bands be sure how many people show up for them

Although I PM'd my bands details to the OP I must admit that I was puzzled by this. Perhaps the OP can explain.

Here is a scenario :

My band is the last of the three to go on stage. Friends/fans (lets say fifty) of the previous two bands stay on to hear us play. Our band brings no one to the venue. What is there to stop us claiming that out of that fifty people, we brought twenty ? :confused:

• Advertisement

There will be someone on the door taking the money and people will be asked to declare which band they have come to see. The numbers will be recorded and available for the bands to see. If they wish, it can be organised that a representative from the band can oversee the door. Wouldn't be a big deal for me!

I always applaud bars taking a risk with live music.

However,

I have huge reservations with a bar that doesn't take the risk themselves.

In your own words you said,
    I work in a bar that is on its last legs

Why is a bar on its last legs charging €150 for venue hire if it's on its last legs?

Bands will bring in punters. Punters buy pints. Pints pay staff and overheads.

Frankly, it's a ridiculous situation to expect bands to pay* to keep the venue afloat.

*You may say it's not pay to play, but by the simple fact that a band doesn't get any money unless they bring in +10 people means they are each paying €50 for the venue.

Sadly its a club not a bar. And these things go to committees to be voted on in clubs and they have said that they wont wave the room rental. Makes no sense to me either but there's not much I can do about it. Call it club politics or whatever!

*You may say it's not pay to play, but by the simple fact that a band doesn't get any money unless they bring in +10 people means they are each paying €50 for the venue.

I dont agree. Ive played at gigs where we were asked (and stupidly agreed) to pre-buy 30 tickets at €10 a pop. Cost us €300. Stupid I know. If we didnt bring the people the money was already gone out of our pocket. If we brought 31 people we made €10! Wooop!!
    In this scenario I have already stated that the bands arent gonna be handing over money. So I dont see how they are paying €50.

At the end of the day folks, I came on here to try to organise a night for the place where I work that I thought might be a bit of fun. I like music, I enjoy new music and I thought that if I could do a bit to help out the club and give some bands a place to play then that would be great. Didnt exactly expect to have people jumping down my throat for it. Quite shocked by it actually. No point in reporting thread spoiling to the mods though by the looks of things!!

. Quite shocked by it actually. No point in reporting thread spoiling to the mods though by the looks of things!!

There is no need to be shocked, nor IMO is there any thread spoiling. People are just trying to tease out a few things.

I think Pappa Dolla has a point when he talks about punters (i.e. people who come to see bands play) bring in the cash.

By your own admission, some week end nights there can be only eight people in the club bar. On a night when there are some bands playing, I think it would be safe to assume that there would be considerably more than that. So a degree in maths is not required to work out that a profit is going to be made on the night that features live music.

So as far as I can see, this is a win win situation. The club makes more than it otherwise would, and the bands get to play to their friends.

Perhaps the committee could be persuaded to see that this makes sense ? Could they not even try doing it for a couple of months on a trial basis ? They have nothing to lose, and more than likely will make a profit.

You would think so alright. But as long as I have worked there I have noticed that they dont seem to buy into the whole 'spend money to make money' thing. A stupid way to be and part of the reason that they are in the state they are in! But sure thats nothing to do with me as I just work there! Just thought I'd try put on a few gigs!! You never know though, if the first one is a success they might change their tune.

And Rigsby I can understand that you were trying to suss out info which is fair enough as you had contacted me about the gigs but I honestly cant say the same about off.the.walls. I would put that down to thread spoiling or at best trying to undermine what I am trying to do imo.

On another note, Thanks to the bands who have gotten in touch. It looks like we have the first 2 nights sorted so I will be getting in touch with dates and assessing availability within the next week!

I'm not jumping down your throat. It is well known I despise bands being ripped off. You can see here for more.

I'm sorry, but if the bar you work in can't see the error in it's ways, I hope it closes down and is replaced by a bar that treats musicians with dignity, and not just an easy way to get a few quid in.

I know it's not you, it's the bar/committee. As I said I applaud you for your efforts. I hope you realise this and I wish you all the best for the future.

Thanks Pappa Dolla. Appreciate it.

First thing that struck me on that thread though was this:

3) Co-operative promotion
    This is what I did when I was promoting gigs. It's an idealistic way of looking at things, but I chose this way. I book a good line up, with a strong main band, a strong 2cd band and a band to open that might not have that much experience onstage. I had a friend design the posters and fliers, print them at a budget print shop and give them to the bands to hand out/stick up as well as myself.
    When all expenses are met, (printing, hire of room etc.) all profits were then split equally with each band an myself as one unit. For instance if it was a three band bash it would be 25% + 25% + 25% + 25%=100%. If there was no profit, I took the hit out of my own pocket. That is the risk and is the challenge in booking acts.

Especially this:

When all expenses are met, (printing, hire of room etc.) all profits were then split equally with each band an myself as one unit.

Is this not what I am doing except I am not taking a cut of the door profit myself? Correct me if I am missing something but as far as I can see there is no difference!

edit: ah right, I am not promising the bands equal cash, just what they bring. Still, I dont see that its too far off this template.

And Rigsby I can understand that you were trying to suss out info which is fair enough as you had contacted me about the gigs but I honestly cant say the same about off.the.walls. I would put that down to thread spoiling or at best trying to undermine what I am trying to do imo.

In fairness, I can remember "off.the.walls." answering the exact same questions that you are doing now. If he had not brought up the subject, you can bet someone else would have done so.

Forums being what they are, people will always ask questions and give opinions. I doubt if anyone is trying to undermine you. :)

Thanks Pappa Dolla. Appreciate it.

First thing that struck me on that thread though was this:

3) Co-operative promotion
    This is what I did when I was promoting gigs. It's an idealistic way of looking at things, but I chose this way. I book a good line up, with a strong main band, a strong 2cd band and a band to open that might not have that much experience onstage. I had a friend design the posters and fliers, print them at a budget print shop and give them to the bands to hand out/stick up as well as myself.
    When all expenses are met, (printing, hire of room etc.) all profits were then split equally with each band an myself as one unit. For instance if it was a three band bash it would be 25% + 25% + 25% + 25%=100%. If there was no profit, I took the hit out of my own pocket. That is the risk and is the challenge in booking acts.

Especially this:

When all expenses are met, (printing, hire of room etc.) all profits were then split equally with each band an myself as one unit.

Is this not what I am doing except I am not taking a cut of the door profit myself? Correct me if I am missing something but as far as I can see there is no difference!

edit: ah right, I am not promising the bands equal cash, just what they bring. Still, I dont see that its too far off this template.
    If there was no profit, I took the hit out of my own pocket.

I think that is my main point. A band should never have to guarantee an audience or put their hands in their pockets for a gig. Their job is to play music. Full stop.

• Advertisement

Rigsby wrote: »
    In fairness, I can remember "off.the.walls." answering the exact same questions that you are doing now. If he had not brought up the subject, you can bet someone else would have done so.

Forums being what they are, people will always ask questions and give opinions. I doubt if anyone is trying to undermine you. :)

Fair enough, If it was me (which it is now) I know that I wont be popping up in the next thread someone makes trying to organise a gig and subjecting them to the "You're the promoter, you promote it" treatment!!

I think that is my main point. A band should never have to guarantee an audience or put their hands in their pockets for a gig. Their job is to play music. Full stop.

But they arent putting their hand in their pocket. In the op it clearly states that bands wont take the hit if they dont get 10 people.

But they arent putting their hand in their pocket. In the op it clearly states that bands wont take the hit if they dont get 10 people.

But they get paid a tenner if they bring in 12 people. They have effectively paid you €50 for playing, and receive a tenner themselves.

Well then should they just bring noone and turn up and get gigging experience in an empty bar? Because by the sounds of things that would be the best outcome. They arent gaining any money but they sure as hell wont be handing over any. I dont know what places around Dublin are offering a free venue where the band takes the door but sadly this one definitely wouldnt go for that. I suppose the other alternative is that I pay 150 and then the bands can take the door??? Help me out here!!!

Just don't charge a fee in, if you're not prepared to pay the bands for one person coming through the door.

As I said, the bands are not the promoter. You are.

What drink specials will you provide?
    What about the back line?
    Will you give the band any free drinks/soft drinks/coffee for the driver?

Look at Sweeneys on Dame St for a quick example. They don't charge in, but they do book bands and (I know some get paid) MOST don't get paid, they don't have a problem with that as their mates get in free, and the bar throws them a couple of rounds.

So in short:

As a promoter:
    Book good bands.
    If the fee of the venue hire isn't met, you have to cover it.
    If the fee is met, split the money equally

Or:
    Take a chance and book in any bands
    DON'T charge in
    DON'T pay a venue hire
    DO throw them a round or two for bringing in business.

This is in my opinion of course, I'm sure there alternatives out there.

You do seem like a really good person for engaging in this debate, so sincerely, I wish you the best of luck.

You do seem like a really good person for engaging in this debate, so sincerely, I wish you the best of luck.

Same to you and I think we should leave it at that.

Re: http://youtu.be/BXaLmI8KO4c‏

here is a recording of a live gig we done

Fair enough, If it was me (which it is now) I know that I wont be popping up in the next thread someone makes trying to organise a gig and subjecting them to the "You're the promoter, you promote it" treatment!!

What a promoter should do and what papa dollar has already stated is kind of in the name of this job as a Promoter. Bands aren't promoters bands are entertainment providers giving a service to the promoter mostly for free and out of pocket themselves due to transport, drinks, equipment etc etc, so if all you have to do is sit back on the door make your money back (possibly) or lose out then why shouldn't they be paid once your into profit?

• Advertisement

Which is the case here. Once the rental fee is paid, the bands take the profit. Not me, not the bar. The bands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement