Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding/attracting duck to a pond

Options
  • 14-09-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Well lads. one of my friends asked me about trying to get a few duck onto a pond near his house. i think i read a few threads before about putting an island in the middle and floating feeders etc but was it on boards? i cant find the threads now and would like to print him of some things to do as hes not good with computers.any help would be appreciated
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Island helps but not essential. Go to your local co-op and buy a bag a Malted Barley. Feed the pond a few hand fulls every couple of days.

Don't feed the edges too heavy as it will attract rats, also if your leaving the bag there put it in a well hidden plastic container so rats can't eat through the bottom of the bag.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

I swear by whole maize.
    It sinks & takes ages to go off & rats aren't a problem.
    Had 50-60 wild duck on my pond last week. At one stage the first lot flew over in a group of 20 or so. The first 10 or so flew over trees & dropped straight in the others circled once & dropped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

I swear by whole maize.
    Had 50-60 wild duck on my pond last week. At one stage the first lot flew over in a group of 20 or so. The first 10 or so flew over trees & dropped straight in the others circled once & dropped in.

Do you get it off farmers or kindly ask them can you pull it in the field? and also how often do you feed the pond with it and how many stalks of it would you use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

I swear by whole maize.

Maize is a better job alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Do you get it off farmers or kindly ask them can you pull it in the field? and also how often do you feed the pond with it and how many stalks of it would you use

No maize in a bag just not crushed.
    Try it if you can get it in local feed store but prices seem to have gone up lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

I started feeding the "puddle" in the field there last week but no joy yet!
    I threw a small burlap bag of whole barley into the centre to ferment for the smell and I'm feeding the edges with rolled barley,but alas it's only crows that came,I think I may have to put a few decoys on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If your starting with a pond release some duck onto it and feed it. The released duck will draw other ducks to it over the months. Avoid shooting it until the end of the season then only the once. Feed with grain and molasses and by next year you will have a mighty pond. I did this on a drain near me last year.

The water was clean some duck weed, but it didn;t seem to attract ducks bar the odd one. I then bought 6 ducks (Wild Mallard) from a duck farm and put the ducks on the drain along with feed. Within a week I had 12 ducks, know I am guaranteed a couple of ducks a week if I wanted them. Try it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If your starting with a pond release some duck onto it and feed it. The released duck will draw other ducks to it over the months. Avoid shooting it until the end of the season then only the once. Feed with grain and molasses and by next year you will have a mighty pond. I did this on a drain near me last year.

The water was clean some duck weed, but it didn;t seem to attract ducks bar the odd one. I then bought 6 ducks (Wild Mallard) from a duck farm and put the ducks on the drain along with feed. Within a week I had 12 ducks, know I am guaranteed a couple of ducks a week if I wanted them. Try it
    And where is this drain of yours
    I want exact location and the times you won't be around lol

There's a field near mine that when it lashes out the rain holds in a dip in the field and kinds creates a little lake
    Il be bringin the hawk down to try get a nice drake

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

i have a mix of some flaked maize,rolled barley and oats there in the shed so i think wel try and pick up a couple duck to clip and put onto it, then start fedding it and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

garyc007 wrote: »
    i have a mix of some flaked maize,rolled barley and oats there in the shed so i think wel try and pick up a couple duck to clip and put onto it, then start fedding it and see what happens!
    Ya won't need to clip them. I released mallard onto a pond about 3 months ago unclipped and they stay there once the food stays coming. If I wanna do a bit of shooting I just scare them off and wait for them to come back and bring their friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

And where is this drain of yours
    I want exact location and the times you won't be around lol

There's a field near mine that when it lashes out the rain holds in a dip in the field and kinds creates a little lake
    Il be bringin the hawk down to try get a nice drake

Its the back of Robinsons meadow, go as far as the carnado cross, go right past the old school and in on the little lane to the left, its a bit out of the way but you wont miss it for the big sign that says

DUCKS ON DRAIN most mornings and evenings just before or after dark.

i:rolleyes::D:D

Advertisement