Missing a lecture but studying it through Moodle yourself? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2012, 08:58   #1
PictureFrame

Missing a lecture but studying it through Moodle yourself?

Hi all,

I'm a first year BBL (Business & Law) student and am just wondering about how possible (if even) it would be to miss a lecture every week but study it through Moodle instead?

I'm scheduled to have Contract Law at 10am on a Friday morning (and no other lectures :/) but have prior commitments to my job to work on Fridays 8am-6pm. I have to give them an answer by the end of this week so i'm just wondering does anyone think it would be possible to miss this lecture each week and catch up through the notes on moodle?

This may be a preposterous idea, i'm just wondering if anyone thinks it's possible or just silly? Thanks.

Last edited by PictureFrame; 13-09-2012 at 11:28.
Advertisement
13-09-2012, 10:29   #2
plumpote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureFrame View Post
I'm scheduled to have Contract Law at 10am on a Monday morning (and no other lectures :/) but have prior commitments to my job to work on Fridays 8am-6pm.
I don't see what the difficulty is-think i'm missing something here?

Last edited by plumpote; 13-09-2012 at 10:37.
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2012, 10:32   #3
freeze4real

yes you can. Business is very easy. last year I had 4 business modules and I attended on the 1st and the last classes of all of the them and I came out with an average of 68.5%.

In short its do able but I wouldn't advise you to do it.
13-09-2012, 10:33   #4
jonevin

Send a message via Skype™ to jonevin
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm a first year BBL (Business & Law) student and am just wondering about how possible (if even) it would be to miss a lecture every week but study it through Moodle instead?

I'm scheduled to have Contract Law at 10am on a Monday morning (and no other lectures :/) but have prior commitments to my job to work on Fridays 8am-6pm. I have to give them an answer by the end of this week so i'm just wondering does anyone think it would be possible to miss this lecture each week and catch up through the notes on moodle?

This may be a preposterous idea, i'm just wondering if anyone thinks it's possible or just silly? Thanks.
Yes you are supposed to build your part time work around your college life not the other way around. Missing every lecture for that one subject is not a good Idea.
13-09-2012, 10:42   #5
XxMCRxBabyxX
Forever Double Posting

I'm fairly sure that attendance is now compulsory at all law lectures and of all lectures I would advise not missing Prof. Gopalan's.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2012, 10:45   #6
Kiwi_knock

I really would not advise it, particularly if Professor Goplalan is teaching Contract law due to the fact he does not put up detailed notes on Moodle. He will only put up the names of the cases, and really little else. Personally I had to go to the lectures because otherwise I would not have a clue what was going on.
Thanks from:
13-09-2012, 12:57   #7
Paczini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_knock View Post
I really would not advise it, particularly if Professor Goplalan is teaching Contract law due to the fact he does not put up detailed notes on Moodle. He will only put up the names of the cases, and really little else. Personally I had to go to the lectures because otherwise I would not have a clue what was going on.
I agree, do not skip contracts. It is the hardest law module for you this semester (although you just have 2) and for many people I know and who did BBL it was their hardest module altogether. Professor Goplalan also likes to deduct 20% from your final grade if you missed more than 3 lectures what is understandable as you would be lost after skipping even one lecture.
13-09-2012, 13:11   #8
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczini View Post
I agree, do not skip contracts. It is the hardest law module for you this semester (although you just have 2) and for many people I know and who did BBL it was their hardest module altogether. Professor Goplalan also likes to deduct 20% from your final grade if you missed more than 3 lectures what is understandable as you would be lost after skipping even one lecture.
Really? :O.. Ok, I think i'll have to inform work about not being able to make it Fridays! Thanks guys!
13-09-2012, 17:17   #9
brianclown

It really irks me when I see people asking questions like these. Unless you are studying your course on a part time basis then you are obliged to study on a full time basis. No wonder degrees are watered down and easier to obtain these days. If you didn't intend to study for five days a week then why bother applying to the cao etc in the first place?
Advertisement
13-09-2012, 17:30   #10
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianclown View Post
It really irks me when I see people asking questions like these. Unless you are studying your course on a part time basis then you are obliged to study on a full time basis. No wonder degrees are watered down and easier to obtain these days. If you didn't intend to study for five days a week then why bother applying to the cao etc in the first place?
It was only a thought, I didn't say I was going to miss the lectures, just asking for opinions like. There really is no need to be hostile to strangers on the internet bro!
13-09-2012, 17:33   #11
Paczini

Quote:
It was only a thought, I didn't say I was going to miss the lectures, just asking for opinions like. There really is no need to be hostile to strangers on the internet bro!
Seriously, do not skip law lectures as you will get lost (unless you are prepared to do lots of boring and hard work at home to catch up)
Thanks from:
13-09-2012, 19:36   #12
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczini View Post
Seriously, do not skip law lectures as you will get lost (unless you are prepared to do lots of boring and hard work at home to catch up)
Is there a lot of individual study required when doing Law Paczini? I'm thinking 3-4 hours a day, 5 times a week for my 3 main subjects.
13-09-2012, 19:39   #13
XxMCRxBabyxX
Forever Double Posting

Quote:
Is there a lot of individual study required when doing Law Paczini? I'm thinking 3-4 hours a day, 5 times a week for my 3 main subjects.
Make sure that you keep up with all the readings that you are given. Some lecturers totally work off you having already read them and will ask you questions based on them. They are what will get you through and you won't need massive amounts of study if you do them.
13-09-2012, 19:44   #14
Paczini

Quote:
Well it depends on how quick can you learn but telling the truth everyone plans to do 3-4 hours of study a day but I only know 1 person who stuck to her study hours. If you are a quick learner (I am for example) and you don't have much expectations (to get higher grades for example) you don't need to study much except for right before the exam time. For Contracts and Torts there aren't many formulas or theory you have to learn but you are advised to read all cases mentioned in lectures. If you want to do it you will need couple of hours a day as some cases are even 50 a4 pages long and very often the lecturers cover 5-7 during each lecture.
13-09-2012, 19:46   #15
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMCRxBabyxX View Post
Make sure that you keep up with all the readings that you are given. Some lecturers totally work off you having already read them and will ask you questions based on them. They are what will get you through and you won't need massive amounts of study if you do them.
Thanks! What are 'readings' btw?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion