Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Renovation - suggestions &/or recommendations

Options
  • 07-09-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. We're looking at doing a "small" job on our house. Not sure where to start, but to me it looks a simple enough job that a builder could do. There is basic building, then some carpentry and electrical.

We live in an old house where the kitchen is at the back of the house, in the return. It is split into two parts, kitchenette (1.5 x 3 metres) and breakfast room (3.5 x 3 metres). Access to the kitchen is from the hall, down two steps. The kitchen "overlaps" the back room.

What we'd like to do:
    • put a WC under the stairs, there is enough room
    • knock the wall between kitchenette & breakfast room to open it up into one room
    • put in an island unit in the kitchen, would be good to have a power socket here too
    • knock an opening in the wall between kitchen and back room, build steps and put in sliding door
    Anyone done this kind of thing? Suggestions welcome! Anyone able to recommend someone, only by PM I understand! In 5 years we'll probably look to extend to the side, so the kitchen would be converted into a family room or something, so dont plan to match the island to any existing units, cheap and cheerful all the way!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Getting drain runs to your below stairs loo and kitchen island will be heavy work if the floor is concrete and the existing drain runs are nor very close by. Heavy breaking and digging. The cable will also have to have a way "found" for it to the island.

You have to make sure that any internal wall you knock is not supporting the upper floor over head. If so will mean temp props and permanent beam - designed and certified by a Charted Engineer or you will have trouble selling on later.

None of this is difficult in any way provided you work with the right people ( Engineer / Builder) but the scope of works may be a little bigger in reality than you imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DubHouseJob

Thanks for the response sinnerboy. Yeah, there will be some heavy work alright, but hallway where the WC is to go is narrow, and opposite the WCT is the back room that has a raised floor so I think there will only be a few feet of heavy work. I dont think the walls will be a problem, but maybe I should consult an engineer first to make sure? Or a builder should really know I suppose. Any recommendations welcome so I can get a few quotes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Good builders will know plenty and can give a lot of good advice if invited to take a look. But don't ignore my advice re; Engineer. If there is a sniff of propping/new support beams do not let it proceed without structural design before and certification on completion - no matter how good the builder is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Good builders will know plenty and can give a lot of good advice if invited to take a look. But don't ignore my advice re; Engineer. If there is a sniff of propping/new support beams do not let it proceed without structural design before and certification on completion - no matter how good the builder is.

+1 to this.

What you describe above DubHouseJob sounds simple but could be a little more complex (structurally) than you envisage - particularly this bit - 'knock the wall between kitchenette & breakfast room to open it up into one room' - make sure that wall is not supporting a chimney or the likes (not uncommon in the return of an older house)?

A builder does not have the training to calculate/design what structure is required and more importantly is not qualified (or insured) to sign off on it!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    +1 to this.

What you describe above DubHouseJob sounds simple but could be a little more complex (structurally) than you envisage - particularly this bit - 'knock the wall between kitchenette & breakfast room to open it up into one room' - make sure that wall is not supporting a chimney or the likes (not uncommon in the return of an older house)?

A builder does not have the training to calculate/design what structure is required and more importantly is not qualified (or insured) to sign off on it!

Hi. Thanks for the response. I have no intention of ignoring this good advice, so if anyone knows of an engineer that could do this as a nixer I'd appreciate if they could pass on contact info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You need an engineer with professional indemnity insurance (PII) and people with PII tend not to do nixers! I may be worng.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You need an engineer with professional indemnity insurance (PII) and people with PII tend not to do nixers! I may be worng.

Fair enough! Maybe I should just ask for recommendations for engineers that might be interested in such a small job so!

Advertisement