Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Classic Rock created?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Many moons ago, there was a request made to create a classic rock forum. Discussions went back and forth about whether to create a new forum outright, or to separate the current Rock/Metal forum into two forums; one for rock and one for metal. The general consensus at the time was that boards was starting to have too many sub-forums and separating a forum which wasn't exactly busy was a bad idea. The forum request was denied exactly 3 years ago, and can be viewed here.

Just today, I noticed that a classic rock forum had indeed been set up. I don't recall seeing a newer request being made and after a quick search, the only results were from older forum request threads here, here and here.

Although I'm mainly a lurker, I really enjoy the banter in the Rock and Metal forum, but generally think it could always have been improved by more traffic. Was there really a need for another sub-forum and why was it created without a request? Or did I miss the request completely?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Strats at dawn.

The most pained guitar solo face wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Shall I fetch the popcorn?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I made the original request a few years ago...

I believe that request was reviewed.

I don't want to damage the integrity of the rock / metal forum, I used to moderate there back a few years ago and know that's a solid community but I think there's room for both.

There will be some crossover but I'll work to make sure that this doesn't cause problems.

So far as I am aware, the rock / metal forum will continue as is and nobody will be redirected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Erm, that doesn't answer my question at all. If there was another request, I would have opposed it (like I did before) unless someone made a good argument for it, but I never saw one and my searches have come up trumps.

It was reviewed and denied here, but that was 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was reviewed and denied here, but that was 3 years ago.

There has been constant (subtle) pressure ever since though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I don't see the harm in it myself, metal and rock can be pretty different so might be better balanced over two forums

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Remember the time AH was the Classic Rock forum? Good times.

There has been constant (subtle) pressure ever since though.
    But where???
    I don't see the harm in it myself, metal and rock can be pretty different so might be better balanced over two forums

I hate to link the thread a 3rd time in 3 posts, but if you read through the 499 posts of this thread, this issue was mentioned many times. Since classic rock and modern rock and metal are so closely related, there is too much crossover between genres so categorising a band between the two forums can be a nightmare. For example, Motorhead. They are pretty heavy and you would think they would go straight in R&M, but they also appear on pretty much every "classic rock" compilation ever. Same with Rush. Throughout their career, they have touched on classic blues rock, prog, metal, synth rock, etc etc, so where would a discussion on the band go? Would Fly By Night go in classic rock, but 2112 in R&M? Plenty more examples.

I ask a 3rd time... How was this forum created?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Admins supported the decision.

While most of forum requests are put to a vote a mod can request a sub-forum directly from the admins. If he can make a decent argument for it that it will help the forum and if the discussions with the cmods go well the admins create the sub-forum. Its happened with full forums in the past such as "mustard". I should also note that on occasion the admins can approach a forum mod and suggest a sub-forum, its not always a conversation initiated by the moderator.

Alternatively, a moderator can open a forum request if he or she is unsure of the popularity or usefulnes of a suggestion. This has happened in the past and resulted in both full forum creation and sub-forum rejection.

If the forum causes a split or threatens to result in two half dead fora, then the experiment will be classed a failure and the sub-forum merged back into the parent.

why was this one created quicker than some others?

timing. an admin was available at boards quiet time to make the changes.
    Mod was already on-board so no discussion needed there and no need to go looking for mods to manage it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

metal and rock can be pretty different so might be better balanced over two forums
    The R&M forum still covers rock, including Classic Rock.

Pointless and needless addition imo, but can't see any actual negative affects as a result of its creation.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    Admins supported the decision.

While most of forum requests are put to a vote a mod can request a sub-forum directly from the admins. If he can make a decent argument for it that it will help the forum and if the discussions with the cmods go well the admins create the sub-forum. Its happened with full forums in the past such as "mustard". I should also note that on occasion the admins can approach a forum mod and suggest a sub-forum, its not always a conversation initiated by the moderator.

Alternatively, a moderator can open a forum request if he or she is unsure of the popularity or usefulnes of a suggestion. This has happened in the past and resulted in both full forum creation and sub-forum rejection.

If the forum causes a split or threatens to result in two half dead fora, then the experiment will be classed a failure and the sub-forum merged back into the parent.

why was this one created quicker than some others?

timing. an admin was available at boards quiet time to make the changes.
    Mod was already on-board so no discussion needed there and no need to go looking for mods to manage it.

Considering the forum request was previously denied 3 times over the course of 4 years (from what I can tell), I still don't agree with the decision. However, I appreciate the straight answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

Alternative & Indie, Band Promotion, Classic rock, Rock & Metal, and Punk. But no Reggae forum :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Who do I have to blow around here to get an 80s pop forum?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

mackg wrote: »
    Who do I have to blow around here to get an 80s pop forum?

:pac:

Me.

Oh I'm not a mod or anything but I'll support your request in return. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hate to link the thread a 3rd time in 3 posts, but if you read through the 499 posts of this thread...

....You lost me at read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Maybe change the name of Rock and Metal to Classic Rock and Metal when it's 40 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

/thread

* I'm doing a Bill & Ted style air guitar riff as I close this thread ... *

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement