Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpooling Arguments, etc

Options
  • 25-08-2012 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

People need to drive less. Car pool, cycle to work, walk to the shop, chop sticksfor heat, take the bus etc. no need for people to be over exposed to oil prices.

If they built 3000 ft McMansions with 8 bedrooms, 5 miles from school and 20 miles from work, and were all smiles hosting lavish house warming parties in their executive residence 5 years ago bought for 400k then they only have themselves to blame if they are struggling in 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

People need to drive less. Car pool, cycle to work, walk to the shop, chop sticksfor heat, take the bus etc. no need for people to be over exposed to oil prices.

If they built 3000 ft McMansions with 8 bedrooms, 5 miles from school and 20 miles from work, and were all smiles hosting lavish house warming parties in their executive residence 5 years ago bought for 400k then they only have themselves to blame if they are struggling in 2012.

Not everyone has the option of getting a bus to work due to Ireland's substandard public transport system, and cycling is not always an option due to distance and weather.

In the current climate many people have had to take whatever job they can get and that often comes with the need to travel much further in order to get to their place of work. I can think of many of the main towns in county Limerick that do not have a bus service that would allow residents to get to a job away from the town during regular hours let alone anyone whose job involves irregular hours, so simply saying to not use a car is not an option for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not everyone has the option of getting a bus to work due to Ireland's substandard public transport system, and cycling is not always an option due to distance and weather.

In the current climate many people have had to take whatever job they can get and that often comes with the need to travel much further in order to get to their place of work. I can think of many of the main towns in county Limerick that do not have a bus service that would allow residents to get to a job away from the town during regular hours let alone anyone whose job involves irregular hours, so simply saying to not use a car is not an option for many.

As regards people in Limerick towns (and elsewhere), then they need to look at car pooling, I've seen an increase in it already, rural pub and church car parks have cars parked there all day because people drive in from around, meet up somewhere suitable and then carpool.

Its a case of getting used to it, but people have to adapt to the new reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

amiable wrote: »
    I fail to see the relevance to this thread

Basically he is saying when by cutting down on an unnecessary journey, you'll save money. Now, if everyone did this, price of petrol would fall.

I know what he was saying. I still fail to see the relevance of the posts in this thread.

Can't see the relevance of your posts either. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I know what he was saying. I still fail to see the relevance of the posts in this thread.

It has some relevance. The thread is essentially about the cheapest petrol, now it's a little deviation from that, but still concerns petrol. We need to cut down on petrol, I know at times it can't be done, but the higher the price, demand for it will inevitably drop.

• Advertisement

So you just want to preach. Believe it or not car pooling doesn't suit some people. If you actually read Kess' post you would see that explained. But still carry on with your preaching.

He didn't explain why people can't carpool. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

If their job is becoming unviable due to high fuel prices then it seems to be a case or relocating closer to work, change jobs, carpool, ride a motorbike etc.

Yes because life is that easy

Thanks for your ongoing valuable and relevant contributions to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why cant we all just get along. People should cycle more if anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

:p
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Why cant we all just get along. People should cycle more if anything!

Or maybe go back to the good old horse and cart around town :p :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

padma wrote: »
    :p

Or maybe go back to the good old horse and cart around town :p :cool: :pac:

Some folks never gave them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Just curious about the relevance of this to the Limerick Forum??? It's not partricularly a Limerick issue, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Just curious about the relevance of this to the Limerick Forum??? It's not partricularly a Limerick issue, is it?

The discussion started in Limerick Today’s cheapest petrol thread and was split out here to keep the other thread on topic.

Advertisement